Advertisement

I lost my snake....

topic posted Wed, September 7, 2005 - 9:43 PM by  Mojave
Share/Save/Bookmark

I'm now dealing with every snake owner's worst nightmare: the stupidity of not securing the cage properly and therefore having a loose snake somewhere in the house. Given that I have two cats, I'm none too happy about this, although neither of them are hunters by any stretch. Still, I've been tearing this place apart trying to find her-- but no clue. At least there isn't a DEAD snake around, either.

She's still a pretty tiny thing, only about a foot, foot & 1/2 long so she could be curled up anywhere. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to find an escaped snake? I won't quit until I find her.
posted by:
Mojave
SF Bay Area
Advertisement
  • Re: I lost my snake....

Thu, September 8, 2005 - 9:53 AM
    I've lost my snake several times: contrary to the common wisdom, I let him out alot. Can't stand the thought of living 24/7 in that box, big as it is.

But he's always come back around after a bit (once it took 3 weeks) and now I don't even worry about it. The cats are cause for concern for such a small snake, but my bet is, he's curled up in hide mode someplace you haven't thought to look. They can hide everywhere. You might want to double check all the holes and escape routes: the major bummer would be if he got outside. Inside, he'll show up again for sure.

Sat, September 10, 2005 - 11:00 AM
    I've heard of some intelligent ways to find a lost snake at kingsnake.com, I unfortunatly am not smart enuff to remember myself, but there is the info/ways out there. good luck

Sat, September 10, 2005 - 1:57 PM
    Try checking in places that are very warm. My snakes don't get out very often (thank goodness - I'm a cat mommy too and I know the frustration of freaking out on discovering a snake gone missing and then tearing the house apart to find it before the kitties do) but the few times it's happened warm, dark places were the location of choice.

You actually can try scenting with a mouse - I did have a snake escape at the museum where I work and I scented a particular area with mouse. Sure enough, he turned up the next day nosing around in that place. But for such a young, small snake this might not work as well.

Good luck, though, and I hope you find your baby!

Sun, September 11, 2005 - 11:50 PM
    I hope you find her!

When one of my snakes has gone missing, I've almost always found it by following along the walls starting where I last saw it, and checking every possible hiding space. They'll want to travel hidden, and if they get cold they'll usually settle down for a while. Other things that helped were looking inside things, even ones that seem too small (my snake that went missing the most often, a red-tail boa, got inside a sofa pillow and squashed the filling so the size of the pillow didn't change at all) - piles of clothes and bookshelves have been especially popular.

I also found one of my snakes that had been missing the longest (2 weeks) by watching our cats - when they were especially interested in a spot, I'd check it out, and one of those spots was where the snake was hiding. (Yes, I was very worried that the cats would find & kill the snake. Luckily, his stealthy instincts and hiding ability served him well!)

Another time, when a snake (that re-tail again) had gotten into a wall, we put a cage with a rat and a heating pad next to it by the opening. Eventually the snake was back, curled around the heating pad (and not paying any attention to the rat, but maybe the smell helped anyway).

None of my snakes have gone missing for good, so the methods have worked so far :-)

Good luck!

Mon, September 12, 2005 - 4:40 PM

Thank you for ALL the tips. I have a feeling she's still near her cage (or at least in the same room), but unthawing a pink hasn't helped yet. I'm going to try a couple of pinks & a really warm blanket tonight.

Does anyone know how to "scent" a trail? Do I have to rub a raw pinky in my carpet (ick)?

Wed, November 30, 2005 - 10:46 PM
    I lost a pretty good size garter, the snake forced the plastic screen up with its nose, and off he went, at least that is the only thing that could have happened...probably slithered against the wall until it came to an adjar door, to the great outdoors!!

Sat, November 11, 2006 - 3:34 AM
      i have lost my 10 months old kingsnake can any one give mesome ideas to find
      him ?!?!?!?!

Sat, November 11, 2006 - 4:24 PM
        since it is winter and getting colder out i would put a heating pad down at night in a dark corner where he wont be bothered by the cats!!! also check under any appliances that are warm, water heater, stove, refridgerator, etc....

Sat, November 11, 2006 - 7:23 PM
          A heating pad is a good idea but also provide a hide. Snakes will seek out security over temperature related comfort. Leave a mouse in the hide (hopefully it's been a few days since you've last fed your snake). Is the room itself secured? If so then hopefully you'll find her/him quickly. If not, put down a line of flour across your doorways as well. This way you can see if he/she is moving from room to room. Good luck!

Mon, November 13, 2006 - 9:41 AM
            I would also suggest leaving low level water such as in plates. We lost a Borneo Blood Python. She got into the walls somehow. When she finally came out there was no water available for her. Basically, it was a horrible death. Food is a great inticement to bring an escapee back home, but water is a neccesity.

Mon, November 20, 2006 - 2:39 PM
        Try putting baby poweder (works better if you have hardwood floors) down on the ground in the areas you think he might be...that way if he slithers across you can see where he went and came from....you could also you something really loud...that if he crawls on you can hear...

Fri, December 1, 2006 - 11:46 AM
          I lost our Zuni a few months ago so I share your pain...I dont think Zuni is going to come back...we have two large loud barking dogs and the vibration from them alone probably keeps him away...

We've put mice out on heating pads....we've done the powerder....we've done it all....

I think he just probably dried up somewhere in the walls because we have looked everywhere and if the dogs would have gotten to him I am thinking there would be blood somewhere??? maybe not....

mine was only 25'' long...and as thick as my thumb...boo-hoo.....

We miss Zuni....I hope yours comes home...I did have a friend that lost hers and in three weeks showed up on top of his cage! that was great!
    • Unsu...

Re: I lost my snake....

Tue, January 9, 2007 - 11:54 AM
      my baby king snake ran away years ago.....
      i still have NO idea how he got out of his tank....
      NO idea... :(

Wed, January 10, 2007 - 6:33 AM
        that is amazing because a friend of mine also lost her corn and had NO idea how it got out...the top was completely locked and secure...strange.....

Mojave, any luck finding yours?

Mon, August 4, 2008 - 6:42 AM
    This morning, my cats "freed" both of my ball pytons. One of them, as everyone has said, stayed in the same room found the nearest hidy hole and curled up to wait for me, my female, however high tailed it across the house and into the closet furthest from any heat source bypassing many wonderful hiding places, and she wasn't even hiding, she was infact still exploring! So from my experiences, check every likely and unlikely place, closets, floor vents, each and every room no matter how far from the enclosure, every snake is an individual and may not follow "normal" snake behavioral patterns. I do hope you found your snake and I hope this may help the next frantic owner of a lost snake somewhere down the line.

Wed, July 15, 2009 - 11:01 PM
    Ohhh, me too! I think my daughter's cat, who I am baby sitting sat n the cage top and let the two of them out! I think they pull sentry duty, and when the cage is open, the news is broadcast. I have two baby corns which I dance with, or am trying to, and I can't find them. The last time they got out, Kandalah was on the book shelf above the cage and Kazhmeir was at the bottom of my fish tank stand. I am sure they CAN NOT smell, so putting out a mouse, a pinkie would not work, but maybe the cats would love it! And it is summer, we don't have AC so what else can I do to attract them to the heat?

Mirra

Thu, July 16, 2009 - 8:20 AM
      Careful, cats eat snakes. My suggestion is to turn the heat up in your house and keep a small dish of water in an area out of reach to the cat, but within sight of you. This should draw the snakes to the water. Try placing several dishes, shallow ones, in various locations you have found the snakes in the past. It worked for me!

Mon, November 16, 2009 - 5:44 PM
        Somebody up there really likes us as every time we've had an escapee, we've had a recapture. Our 7ft yellow rat snake (housed upstairs) got under the floorboards for a month in the middle of a very cold winter, water and a mouse brought him out. More recently our snow corn (2ft juvenile) has escaped twice. Both times he thankfully didn't head for the gap in the heating cupboard floorboards.
        The first time he was found nestling among towels on open shelving and the second time he was curled up inside a sandal on a low storage rack that had some clothing draped over it. Both times the snow had gone outside the room in which he is housed . However we also have a large standard corn in that room and I wonder if her smell had driven him away from her "territory"?

I have lost pets in the past on escape - a cockatiel and a baby gerbil- and it is awful. My heart goes out to those of you who have lost animals in this way.

Sat, May 15, 2010 - 5:49 AM
    My 11 month old corn snake escaped last night, but my problem is that i'm house sitting for someone so its not even my house that it is roaming around, and i must find it dead or alive else the owners of the house will freak! i've got 6 days! So i'll be trying all of the above suggestions.

Fri, June 8, 2012 - 12:09 PM
      Aye good luck!!! I have Miami windows I think she slithered out of them.. into the garage-yard outside...If someone found her they will keep her. I am so upset!

Recent topics in "Snakes"