Advertisement

This is what the super adventure club truely believes..

topic posted Sat, March 25, 2006 - 6:25 AM by  Steve
Share/Save/Bookmark
I am new to this tribe and I joined mainly because I am a SP fan but I don't quite get the hidden meanings. South Park is reknowned for being as accurate about these hidden meanings as they can be, so what does it really mean then? Specifically I couldn't find info on any Super Aventure Club or Morloc beliefs on pedophelia, scientology or otherwise. Did they just ake it allup to do nothing but slam scientology without reason? That just doesn't sound like them.
posted by:
Steve
San Diego
Advertisement
  • Unsu...

During the Scientology episode while some character was blathering on about the "Dark Lord Xenu" they
    put that across the bottom of the screen. It's a reference to that episode.

I don't think they slammed Scientology without a reason; they seem to me to be pretty much equal opportunity
    slammers and pretty much everything deserves a bit of slamming now and then (hippies, people offended
    by hippies, cops using psychics, making political hay out of people in vegetative states, etc.) , but I think
    Scientology deserves to be pretty high on the list. I think they were slamming the whole situation, although
    my problem with this episode was that it seemed too directed toward Isaac Hayes and a bit mean.

F.
  • Unsu...

Here's an excerpt from Allissa Stanly's article that pretty much answeres your question

<begin>
    Scientologists can seem peculiar and overly defensive. But so can the executives at Viacom. The media giant has a history of pressuring its subsidiaries to cave under pressure: CBS canceled the mini-series "The Reagans" after a right-wing lobbying campaign threatened a boycott of advertisers' products. (CBS also disinvited Janet Jackson from the Grammys after her "wardrobe malfunction" during a Super Bowl halftime show, which was produced by yet another Viacom company, MTV.)

"South Park" is an anarchic, sophomorically profane series famous for fearlessly knocking all kinds of taboos; most recently it lampooned Mel Gibson's "Passion of the Christ" and the Terri Schiavo case. So once Mr. Hayes left and Comedy Central canceled the offending episode, it seemed natural to expect its creators to poke fun at Viacom as well as Scientology. Both institutions seem equally ready to sacrifice their members' freedom to protect their image and well-being, except that Scientology doesn't pretend to traffic in free speech.

It is silly, of course, to expect high dudgeon from satirists whose show became an underground hit in the 1990's as the voice of a new generation of slackers. But as the show increased its coverage of topical issues, it began being taken more seriously and watched more carefully — a little like "The Daily Show With Jon Stewart."

And that makes the tone of Wednesday's episode all the more noticeable. For one thing, Mr. Hayes seems like an odd target for semiserious satire: nowadays, he seems as much a comic nostalgia figure as a performer, the Wayne Newton of blaxploitation movies ("Shaft" is his "Danke Schoen").

It seems that the only way "South Park" could tweak its parent company was to make even more fun of Scientology, almost daring Viacom to censor it. "The Return of Chef" was funny, and it was even more savage about the religion founded by L. Ron Hubbard, than the first, much-contested episode, "Trapped in the Closet," which was originally shown on Nov. 16 and was scheduled to be shown again on March 15.

"Trapped" made merciless fun of Mr. Cruise and Scientology, but stuck mostly to the church's actual beliefs, including such notions as frozen aliens and a Lord Xenu who ruled a galactic federation of planets. (A subtitle read, "This is what Scientologists actually believe.")

On Wednesday, the writers made pedophilia part of the make-believe doctrine of the Super Adventure Club and laid out many other outlandish tenets about the club's theories of creation and immortality. Once again, the writers added a subtitle saying that this is what club members "actually believe."

The parallel to Scientology could not have been more obvious. But it was the parallel between Viacom and Scientology that made this episode necessary in the first place.
    <end>

in other words, after the closet episode, the CoS and Viacom took Hayes from them and got the repeate pulled....both a warning. This last episode was try and Matt's anser that they will not be cowed.

damn...it was the saddest South Park episode ever...
    • I wouldn't quite yet agree if it was the saddest. It follows the major trends that south Park has always been about.

Sorry if I was unclear in my post but I do understand the trapped episode's relationship here, I just couldn't find any of the pediphiles seeking immortality with morlocks belief online anywhere. If it's not scientology's belief then I must say the attempt was lame for South Park, but if they have a hidden old belief on it from when the church was beginning then that would make sense to me. If anyone has more information on who really believes in morlocks then please let me know ok.
      • No one believes in "Morlocks." There is no "Super Adventure Club." They weren't trying to state that that Scientologists are pedophiles searching for immortality. They were simply lashing out as virulently and directly as they could at the CoS and Viacom for doing what they did. It was childish. But isn't that the point? Don't the most childish ways of lashing out feel the most satisfying?
        • Unsu...

I think part of that episone on Super Adventure Club was making fun of Star Wars too. In the original or so, a general to darth vader critcizes him for beleiving in the force, calling it some phoney old beleif, as we later find out, because by that time Vader and the emporer had largely discredited the Jedi. The Jedi later are explained to be enabled by miteclorians in their blood, there at the time of birth, be enabled to tap into the force. Yoda being of unprecdented midaclorean count, Vader/Annakin having perhaps even more.

This was kind of parodied through the famed "stress testing" machines of Sceintology as measuring mitachlorians, and in the Super Adventure Club, as something they were trying to get spiritually out of little children. Just lik somepeople use mixed metaphors, Southpark unapologeticaly mixes in multiple satires (again later creating Darth Chef) that sometimes don't cross out all too each other, but follow seperate threads.
          • That at least sounds like a better explanation voltz. It would still be a lame attempt in my book because for the lack of true significance in the attack, but still, I almost feel as though I've heard of some people who think that having sex with children would make them immortal before this episode came out. More depth and truth also just sounds more like Matt and Trey.
      • Hey all u guys saying u can't understand why they put in the child molstering part, its because L Ron Hubbard (founder of scientology) was a convicted felon of whom molstered children. This is a fact and is why they had the "Super Adventure Club" be based around child molstering. THe episode isn't sad its hell funny and so is the other more obvios episode Trapped in the closet. Why do you all get so upset that they pay it out hard, they make fun of all other cultures and relgions. Its all a joke jeez so many people just can't take jokes. But hey I'm an athiest and the fact is as stupid as scientology sounds every other relgions ideas are jsut as stupid.
        • I think Bryce's point was that it was a sad episode because it represented the loss of Hayes (a most beloved character indeed) and everything else that had been done to S.P. as a result of doing the Scientology episode.

Bryce, please correct me if I'm wrong.
          • Scientology is fucked. Its not a church, but a cult they call a "better way of life". Whatever church says that their church is not a church is just fucked in my opinion. If anyone takes a moment to read over the scientology.org website, you only get a very basic explanation of their "religion". It may sound really positive and beneficial, but I personally believe that any organization who requrires a mandatory fee is a cult, not a religion....you can learn more about scientology in a private session for a fee and the purchase of this book... so why are so many celebrities the smiling face of scientology the public sees? its influenctial thats why, if your favorite celeb is a scientologist then they must know what they're doing and talking about. the guy was a fiction writer before anything, what does that say about the whole thing?? There is a lot of information on this crap you just have to look and find out what you think is true....and I would suggest not looking at scientology.org or any L ron hubbard sites for truth because they edit the details of his past to make him sound better. the main problem is that hubbard took ideals that are good and warped them in his perverted view to control masses of people and money.

here's a link to an article I found...wikipedia also has a lot of info about his life and the lies he told.
            www.slate.com/id/2122835/

this next link is supposed to be an interview penthouse had with Hubbard Junior
            www.rickross.com/reference...en240.html

Just wanted to cut and paste something from it

"Penthouse: Did it attract young people as much as cults today?

Hubbard: Yes. We attracted quite a few hippies but we tried to stay a way from them, because they didn't have any money.

Penthouse: A poor man can't be a Scientologist?

Hubbard: No, oh no."

Recent topics in "South Park Fans"