Advertisement

Descendant of Ramses II

topic posted Wed, February 4, 2004 - 1:47 PM by  Carl
Share/Save/Bookmark
My grandfather was very interested in our family history, and traced us back to the big Pharoah Ramses II. But I once heard that he had over a hundred children, so it's prolly not that unique, really. But it makes me feel special and gives me ancient anubik magic powers! hehe

But wasn't Ramses II the big looser that was the last great monument-building pharoah, who lost egypt to Alexander or something? Does anyone know anything about this? Oh and please don't type in all caps, I just tried to read some postings here and it was like makin love to a drill sergent~ WAY TOO LOUD and wierd.
posted by:
Carl
Portland
Advertisement
  • Unsu...

Your grandfather was putting you on.
    • Oh yeah? I suppose next you're going to tell me that I was adopted, and that my real parents don't love me. Thanks, you've been a real pal.
      • There is no reason to assume Carlo is wrong. Colin Powell himself is related to the Queen of England as is George W. Bush. All humans, argue some, come from one mother and her offspring in Africa. Where the story gets interesting is when bloodlines have unusual capabilities. Royal lineages claim such capabilities.
        • "Where the story gets interesting is when bloodlines have unusual capabilities. Royal lineages claim such capabilities."

They claim such advantage due to inbreeding and there is no way that such a lineage could be established to the period of Moses and the biblical Exodus. Please, it is possible that families make all sorts of claims but substantiation is a different matter. There are few if any records still available from this time period.

It is vastly easier to make a claim of descendancy to someone a few hundred years ago as opposed to over four thousand years ago.

www.geocities.com/TheTropic...amses.html

Since there is a mummy then it could be that he could get a DNA check however and this could relieve him of his doubts.

Here is a quote from the above link:

"Of Ramses' personal life virtually nothing is known. His first and perhaps favorite queen was Nefertari; the fact that, at Abu Simbel, the smaller temple was dedicated to her and to the goddess of love points to real affection between them. She seems to have died comparatively early in the reign, and her fine tomb in the Valley of the Tombs of the Queens at Thebes is well known. Other queens whose names are preserved were Isinofre, who bore the king four sons, among whom was Ramses' eventual successor, Merneptah; Merytamun; and Matnefrure, the Hittite princess.

In addition to the official queen or queens, the king, as was customary, possessed a large harem, and he took pride in his great family of well over 100 children. The best portrait of Ramses II is a fine statue of him as a young man, now in the Turin museum; his mummy, preserved in a mausoleum at Cairo, is that of a very old man with a long narrow face, prominent nose, and massive jaw.

The reign of Ramses II marks the last peak of Egypt's imperial power. After his death Egypt was forced on the defensive but managed to maintain its suzerainty over Palestine and the adjacent territories until the later part of the 20th dynasty, when, under the weak kings who followed Ramses III, internal decay ended its power beyond its borders. Ramses II must have been a good soldier, despite the fiasco of Kadesh, or else he would not have been able to penetrate so far into the Hittite Empire as he did in the following years; he appears to have been a competent administrator, since the country was prosperous, and he was certainly a popular king.

Some of his fame, however, must surely be put down to his flair for publicity: his name and the record of his feats on the field of battle were found everywhere in Egypt and Nubia. It is easy to see why, in the eyes both of his subjects and of later generations, he was looked on as a model of what a king should be."

Notice the part that says: "little is known of his personal life."