Advertisement

Palo Mayombe- Gods and Goddesses of Palo Nganga, Nkisi

topic posted Mon, April 12, 2010 - 5:41 PM by  Obatala's Da...
Share/Save/Bookmark
In palo in depth(just a little cant tell you all the damn secrets, lol)

Palero/a s call on the Nkisi for help. The congo believe they are the most powerful and among the first placed in the world by the Nzambi. Not all people who practice palo share that belief....(so we will slowly walk away from this now) :-) Each Nkisi rules a different aspect of life and the spirit of the Nkisi live in pots, (prendas or ngangas). The pots also house the spirit of the dead, without out this, people render palero/a s powerless (however I disagree). The Nkisi all have different paths or caminos. Common Nkisi are:

Lucero: The divine messenger and the lord of the crossroads. He must and I say must be appeased for you can open the gateway to approach any other Nkisi. Lucero is also known as lucero Mundo, tata elegua, Pomba-gira,

Zarabanda: (If you ever need to go to war go straight to zarabanda...lol) Hot-headed ruler of iron and war. He causes accidents and misfortunes when angry and is can be petitioned to help find work. Zarabanda does not like to have women near his pot when the are menstruating, doing this can offend him and also drain the woman( zarabanda can make a woman period cycle extra long draining up to one to two weeks longer if she offend hims(speaking from experience).

Seite Rayos: the ruler of thunder(known as 7 thunders) lightening and fire. He deals with justice and sexual passions in the male.

Centella Ndoki: Centella rules over the wind and the gates of the cemetary. Centella is hot headed and can be very dangerous when angry, she also has no problem teaching you a lesson. Centella is the main Nkisi that has the ability to break all brujeria. When centella is angry the only way to stop her is to go the judge(will get to that later)

Mama Chola: Mama Chola is the Spirit of the River. She rules over all things erotic and beautiful, as well as wealth. She is a powerful bruja when it comes to Love Magick, and it is said that anyone who works with her can have any mate they desire.

Tata Fumbi: This Nkisi rules over all diseases and is also the patron of homeless people, the sick or crippled, as well as beggars. Any Palero knows that helping a homeless person in need is a good idea, because it could be Tata Fumbi in disguise. It is said that Tata Fumbi can cure or cause nearly any disease, but is also known to bring wealth to those he smiles upon.

Tata Fumbi is also known as Kobayende, Coballende, Tata Kañén, and Pata en llaga.

Tiembla Tierra:(the judge) Tiembla Tierra is the Creator of the Earth and the Ruler of all things white and fatherly. Tiembla Tierra rules over the rumbling earth, the hills, and the mountains. He is known as the patient ruler of mystics, but can also be a very strong warrior in some of his Paths.

Tiembla Tierra is also known as Mamá Kengue, Yolá, Yeyé and Iña Ñaába.

Madre Agua: Madre Agua is the Sea Goddess and ruler of motherhood. She is considered a very gentle and loving force and the possessor of great healing powers. Madre Agua is the patroness of children as well as their mothers.

Madre Agua is also known as Kalunga, Mamá Kalunga, Pungo Kasimba, Mamá Umba, Mbúmba Mamba, Nkita Kiamasa, and Nkita Kuna Mamba.

Ngurufinda: This Nkisi rules over all trees, plants, and herbs. Most work with herbs that is done by a Palero is for naught unless he seeks the aid of Ngurufinda first.

Ngurufinda is also known as Burufinda.

Brazo Fuerte: This powerful and fiery Nkisi is the embodiment of all violent earth forces, particularly that of volcanic eruptions. The volcanic lava is Brazo Fuerte's fiery breath which compels the earth to turn on its axis. In some cases, he is seen as the solar god. He is well known for his intense and fiery temper. Brazo Fuerte is the ruler of fevers, high blood pressure, and auto accidents. He is also known to be very stealthy, moving in very long, measured steps.

Brazo Fuerte is also known as Cabo de Guerra.

Kadiempembe: Kadiempembe is considered by some to be the Congo "Devil" (See footnote 3). He is very much feared, but equally respected, by many Paleros. He is a popular Spirit in Haitian Kimbisa as well as other lineages, but he should never been taken lightly by anyone who works with him. His is considered raw power. Interestingly enough Kadiempembe was once the High God of the Congo people, but was replaced at some point by Nzambi. This was most likely the result of "Christianization" attempts that had to create some Judeo-Christian order out of the Bantu Pantheon.

Kadiempembe is also known as Lukankazi, Lugambe and Nzambi Bilongo.

Palo Fuerte: Palo Fuerte deals heavily in Divine Justice and protection. He is well known to be somewhat unpredictable and vicious in performing his tasks. His nganga is relatively rare, and he is considered by some to be the "police force" of the Congo pantheon as well as a great hunter.

Palo Fuerte is also known as Cabo Rondo, Pena Branca, Nkuyo, Watariamba, Mutalombô, Gunza, Catalombô, Mutacalombô and Vence Batalla.
Nkisi Orisha Saint
Nsambi Olodumare God
Siete Rayos Chango Santa Barbara
Zarabanda Oggun San Pedro
Tata Fumbi Babalu-Aye San Lazaro
Mama Chola Oshun La Caridad del Cobre
Madre Agua Yemaya La Virgin de Regla
Tiembla Tierra Obatala Las Mercedes
Centella Ndoki Oya St. Theresa, Virgin de la Candelaria
Lucero Eleggua San Antonio, Anima Sola del Purgatorio
Brazo Fuerte Aganyu- Sola San Cristobal
Ngurufinda Osain San Jose
Palo Fuerte Ochosi San Norberto
Kadiempembe Eshu, Exu Rei, Olosi The "Devil"
posted by:
Obatala's Daughter!
Jacksonville
Advertisement
  • Unsu...

HELLO....YES I AM A PALERA...I DON'T HAVE A POT BECAUSE I COME FROM THE OLD SCHOOL OF THOUGHT THAT A PRENDA SHOULD ONLY BE OBTAINED BY A WOMEN AFTER HER MENSES HAS STOPPED, AND BESIDES THAT I DON'T BELIEVE IN KEEPING THE ENERGY INSIDE THE HOUSE....ANYWAY, NOT HAVING A PRENDA DOESN'T RENDER A PALERA POWERLESS...FIRMAS WORK JUST AS WELL AS A PRENDA...BELIEVE ME I KNOW...IF U KNOW HOW TO DO IT...FOR ME, WORKING WITH SPIRIT IS INSTINCTUAL...BEFORE I WAS EVEN SCRATCHED...I ACQUIRED A BASTON DE TIEMBLA TIERRA....THIS WAS DEFINATELY INNOVATION BECAUSE I SHOULD HAVE BEEN SCRACTHED FIRST...BUT TO GET TO THE POINT, I PROPRIATED HIM, ASKING HIM TO HELP ME WITH A SITUATION, NO PRENDA, AND THE REQUEST MANIFESTED ITSELF, AND CONFIRMED ITSELF IN A READING WITHOUT ME EVEN ASKING
    • Well I agree that a woman shouldnt mess with the pot when she has her cycle, but other that roll right with it! To me I love palo, knowing how to deal the prendas and the dead is a useful tool. I have a great love for palo and all the deities. But palo is more to me that having a pot. Any good palero/palera knows how to access there Nkisi spirits from the ground, without having pot :) yeah baby! Lol!
    • Kiambote everyone,

I tend to agree with Tahirah. We don't always need a pot to do what we do as Palero/as. As a Tata I can tell you that some of the best ceremonies I've had the pleasure of participating in have not even been at the foot of the kindembo but instead out in the woods somewhere. We work directly with nature spirits and have that link since birth, or least most of us do. "Somos todos lo que somo, pero no todos somo los que somo" was a saying I heard a lot growing up. I now believe it to be true to times.

Malembe,

Tata Maury
  • Thank you for this Obatala's Daughter....

I am wondering....SOME of these Gods and Goddesses are the same as what I read in the wonderful book: __Macumba: The Teachings of Maria-José, Mother of the Gods__ by Serge Bramly.

This book is really about Umbanda. Can someone clear up the confusion for me? Is Umbanda related to Palo Mayombe? Or is it more a Santeria-type practice?

Thank you.

Here's a review of the book:
    --------------------------------------------
    The book __Macumba__ is about the Afro-Brazilian religion called Umbanda and is one of the only good books about this subject in English. Umbanda, called by outsiders for "Macumba", have more than 15 milion Brazilian followers and have only grown bigger and bigger during the past century. Umbanda and the other Afro-Brazilian religions, like Kimbanda, Candomble and Catimbo, can be compared to the Haitian Vodou religion and is in the same way as Vodou a synthesis of pagan African religion and Catholicism.

The author of the book have interwied different people who are part of this religion, like the "Mae de Santo" Maria José, who is a high priestess of an Umbanda Terreiro or Temple of Umbanda. In the book the author explains about how the African religions was brought to brazil along with the African slaves, and how the slaves had to mask their own spirituality in the form of catholicism and hide their own gods in the form of the christian saints, in order to survive.

In the different chapters of the book we can read about the differnt gods of Umbanda who are called Orixas and about the different rituals that are used by the followers of this religon to contact and get the blessings and the help from the different spirits. Umbanda is an initiatory religion and to truely belong to the fate you must go through different stages of spiritual initiation and find your own "head Orixa" and individual path.

In Umbanda there are many different gods, but they are all seen as different aspects or massengers of the one supreme divine force. Some of the most famous Orixas are Oxala, Imenjá, Xango, Oxum, Ogum, Iansã, Omulú, Oxossi and the trickster god Exu. This gods rule over different parts of the nature and represent different currents of divine energie, called Axé.

For example Iemanjá is the ruler of all the seas and oceans, Oxum is the goddess of love, Xango is the god of thunder, Ogum is the blacksmith god of war and all metal tools, Iansã is the goddess of storms and rain, Omulú is the god of all diseases and have the power to cause or cure all epidemics, Oxossi is the god of the forrests and the hunt, and last but not least we have Exu, who is the lawless Orixa who rules over all magic and have the power to open or close all physical or spiritual paths.

In the book the many different signs ( Ponto riscados) are given for this gods and we can read about how this symbols are used in the different rituals as the represantations and the gates to the Orixas. The author also tells about many of the different ceremonies he have witnessed and tells about what he have learned about the different magical rituals that can be used by the follwers of the gods of Umbanda.

The most controversial aspects of Umbanda and other Afro-Brazilan religions are the way the followers, during the different "giras" or dances, become possesed by their gods. In this religions the gods are not seen as transcendent forces but as an immanent aspects of the divine. During the trance and dance the "children of the fate" become as one with the spirits that they have called upon and can use the powers of the gods to heal or in many other ways bless the rest of the congregation.

I liked this book very much and think that it gives clear picture of one of the most complex and esoteric spiritual systems in the world. The book is written in 1975 but it stills feals modern and it is very easy to read through. There are also many interesting photos inside the book that shows the rituals of Umbanda and it have also some good drawings of the symbols of the Orixas. This is one of my favorite books about the Afro-Brazilian religions and I can recomend it to every one who likes to learn about this growing religion.

www.amazon.com/Macumba-Te.../ref=sr_1_1