Advertisement

Double Helix Wind Turbine

topic posted Thu, July 26, 2007 - 6:40 AM by  Unsubscribed
Share/Save/Bookmark
I thought this was really relevant for discussion here.

www.youtube.com/watch

arrow
posted by:
Unsubscribed
Advertisement
  • I like this turbine the best so far from the ones I've come across. I posted a reply in one of the other tribes you posted this link in. I especially like that it is safe for birds.

I'm starting to look at information concerning windmills, turbines, and solar panels so that I'll be prepared to make the best choices when I'm ready to install these things on the property my fiance and I have in Hawaii. We won't be ready for these things for at least a year, so I have time to educate myself in the meanwhile.
    • Another relatively bird-safe design is the 'Spinner', patented by Mamikon Mnatsakanian. There was a little research money for preliminary research to see how it stacked up against more conventiional designs, but I haven't heard anything more. The Spinner is basically a 3D version of the recycling symbol. Hang a small one on a tree branch, and the smallest breeze will get it going.
      • We've looked at a similar design a few years ago for our projects, the Windside turbines made in Denmark are very expensive compared to alternative designs. I'd love to find out as well how much these will go for and all the info I can get.
        • To the best of my knowledge, the WINDMILL-SIZE Spinner is vaporware. If you know of good sources for research grants, I'll give you Mamikon's email address. His mathematical and theoretical physics work is absolutely brilliant. I'd love to see some of his ideas become commercial successes also.
          • K
            K
            offline 14
            Fuck the birds.

And I say that as somebody who actually cares about them enough to have read up a little on the issue when thinking about putting a dinky little turbine on my roof. The bird killing thing is not tied directly to design of the turbine. Most of the research indicates that placement has a huge effect on raptor deaths, but you'd never know that from all the "bird safe" marketing.

It's kind of funny how nobody twittering away about the birds ever compares the wildlife killed by the power generation methods that the wind turbine replaces. Like, for instance, a coal fired power plant and the strip mine the coal came from.

Recent topics in "Renewable Energy and Solar Power"