Advertisement

Spider / creative weaving

topic posted Sun, January 17, 2010 - 7:13 AM by  offlinePhoenix
Share/Save/Bookmark
3 - Spider: Weaving

Spider wove the web that brought humans the first picture of the alphabet. The letters were part of the angles of her web.
Deer asked Spider what she was weaving and why all the lines looked like symbols. Spider replied, "Why Deer, it is time for Earth's children to learn to make records of their progress in their Earth Walk." Deer answered Spider, "But they already have pictures that show through symbols the stories of their experiences." "Yes," Spider said, "But Earth's children are growing more complex, and their future generations will need to know more. The ones to come won't remember who to read the petroglyphs."
So it was that Spider wove the first primordial alphabet, as she had woven the dream of the world that had become manifest. Spider's dream of the physical world had come to fruition millions of years before.
Spider's body is made like the number eight, consisting of two lobe-like parts connected at the waist, and eight legs. Spider is the symbol for the infinite possibilities of creation. Her eight legs represent the four winds of change and the four directions of the medicine wheel.
Spider weaves the webs of fate for those who get caught in her web and become her diner. This is similar to humans who get caught in the web of illusion in the physical world, and never see beyond the horizon into the other dimensions.
The web of fate also represents a wheel of life, which does not include any alternatives or solutions. It is typically human to get caught in the polarity of good or bad fortune without realizing that we can change it at any time. If we are not decisive enough about changing our lots in life, we may end up being consumed by our fears and limitations.
Spider is the female energy of the creative force that weaves the beautiful deigns of life. Her web has hundreds of intricate patterns which catch the morning dew.
If Spider has dropped from her web into your cards today, she may be telling you to create, create, create! Look for new alternatives to your present impasse. She can also be warning you that you are coming too close to an entangling situation. Spider could be asking you to use a journal to write out and review your progress. If you do this, you will not forget how you are creating a new of different phase in your life.
Spider brings a message of a different kind when she sees you becoming a bit too involved in the weaving of your life plans to notice opportunity at the outskirts of your web. If this is the case, Spider gets your attention so that you notice that something you have woven has borne fruit. Congratulations! Spider caught you just in time, before you missed the opportunity on the edge of your web of reality.

The most important message from Spider is that you are an infinite being who will continue to weave the patterns of life and living throughout time. Do not fail to see the expansiveness of the eternal plan.

Contrary
The contrary aspect of Spider is akin to the negative side of woman. Spider will eat her mate if she gets too caught up in herself to see the validity of honoring male energy. The warrior at her side is a strong balancing force. If you have become disdainful of your mate (male or female) and have felt very superior recently, you are not honoring either your male or female side.
If you are not presently in a relationship, you may have chosen a member of your family or a workmate to harass. This type of negative criticism only breaks down relations, and is a reflection of something you hate about yourself. If you are trying to feed your ego in this manner, you have lost the game. You are entangled in the web of your own illusion about who you really are. It may be time to look at why you are being critical and why you are feeling so weak that you must attack others.
If this does not apply to your situation, take a look at another message that contrary Spider medicine brings: lack of creativity. if you fail to use your talents to get the web spinning, your lack of creativity can change into destructiveness. If you are feeling stagnant and unable to move in a positive direction, you may come to resent others who are doing well. This resentment will become a Black Widow Spider and eat you up, and the only one to mourn your demise will be you. Get moving, find joy and new ideas in the accomplishments of others, and use them to propel you into a new phase of creative spinning on your own web of delight. Observe Spider's web and find pleasure in the ideas you receive from her universal language.

Overview
Dance your dreams alive. Create from your heart’s bliss. Weave the web you want to live.

Source: Sams, Jamie and Carson, David. Medicine Cards

★Love & Light☆
posted by:
Phoenix
Advertisement
  • Hm spiders they are more than just there eight legs....when its fall and you see there webs in trees sparkling like diamonds in the morning dew,then we humans really have something too envy...the creativeness of something so small,but yet so magnificent its magical weaving...it is indeed a splendor too the eye.......when I think about it now, a web is in a way a show of the harmony in nature.....hm the spider is indeed an original artist of nature....thanks for that and I will indeed see what my wee friends have too learn me from now on ....
    • Unsu...

A wondrous teacher and artist is ze. Yes siree.. zee spider.
      • Isn't Spider Woman the holder of the peace pipe in Lakota? I think she's also involved in the White Buffalo prophecies?

Peace,
        RA
        • Unsu...

I haven't heard that yet Ron. Sounds exciting. I'll look into it. Thanks. :-)

The female Black Widow is fatally toxic in many cases and bites the head off her mate after she copulates with him. The Black Widow's behavior is in turn the Black Widow's medicine. You must determine how this fits into your situation and what exactly is being shown to you. For example: upon realizing I had a Black Widow in my life, I asked myself "Am I moving towards one goal or am I scattered and going off in a bunch of different directions? Am I focused? Am I releasing my creativity appropriately?" This based off the fact she spins a work of art; her web. Basically, am I spinning my own, and if so, how well? Do people fear me? Am I dangerous? Am I in my appropriate setting? Am I about to bite the head off my mate? Beware your shadow self does not get in the way of you seriously considering this. Many of us tend to think we are perfect.

When an animal totem manifests itself to me in that strong of a manner, I scrutinize it. The rule of thumb generally, to see it as a mirror and connect the dots between the both of you. Be the Black Widow, to understand the Black Widow. In your mind, that is. "Learn it + Know it + Be it." This does not mean go bite your mates head off or kill someone. Rather it means know that you can because you are a Black Widow! Then proceed as yourself with the knowledge and skill of the manifesting totem.The stronger the manifestation, the more synchronicity surrounding its appearance, the closer I look in the mirror. "Hello Me, I am You." This is one third of the animal totem reading pie for me. Perhaps your pie has more pieces. Everyone's pie is different. :-) The next piece is determining what that Critter means to you personally, and how it fits into your reality. Thirdly is considering the nature of such an animal and determining whether or not this creature is friend or foe. What is his or her intentions with you? What do they want? Do they see you as one of them? Are they dangerous if you let them into your home? Into your bed? Will they trap you like a fly in their web and drink your blood? lol Are you prey? If so, in my case, I should wonder whether or not I might be exhibiting certain aspects of Spider food!

Spiders in general teach us useful lessons and show us both positive and negative areas of our life. Some Spiders are dangerous, even deadly, but Spiders are never bad, to the contrary they are amazing creature's of Gaia. The trick is to take each Critter into account separately. All Spiders are not the same!
          • Unsu...

"Am I about to bite the head off my mate? Beware your shadow self does not get in the way of you seriously considering this. Many of us tend to think we are perfect."

Just so you know I was loling over this part, but tried to be serious so as not to sound disrespectful. Upon re-reading, indeed this part is funny. Ahahahaha No disrespect intended!
            • Unsu...

One last thing. Reading Critters is a lot like reading Tarot cards. There is both the positive meaning in the Critter or card and the negative. It can mean either. Too bad Critters couldn't be read upside down and right side up like cards. It would make it a lot easier. Ahahahaha
            • Well,... I sometimes lovingly bite my partner's head! :)

I love spiders and I always teach my students not to kill them, but to talk to them. (Ants too.) Well, to think of it I teach my students to speak to all types of life: plants life, animal life, insect life, mineral life and even the elements like wind.

☆love & Light★
              • Unsu...

"Well,... I sometimes lovingly bite my partner's head! :)"

Ahahahahaha

Me too, but only after him washes his hair. If he goes more than a few days without doing that his scalp gets a lil' stinky. :-[
        • Unsu...

The Dineh or Diné (mka Navajo) hold Spider Woman in their Creation Stories. One fo their sacred spaces - Tsegi (mka Canyon de Chelly) - is the home of Spider Rock, a tall spire of ancient, weather-worn stone.

The Lakota hold White Buffalo Calf Woman in their Sacred Stories.

Also, if I remember correctly, the Lakota call Spider Iktumi (spelling could be very incorrect), holding him as a Trickster.

Jorvik
          • Hi Jorvik.
            There seem to be a few different types of spelling and even alternate names like : Ikto, Ictinike, Inktomi, Unktome, and Unktomi. These names are due to the differences in tribal languages, as this spider deity was known throughout many of North America's tribes.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iktomi

The tales of Iktomi's propensity for mischief leads many without a full understanding of Native American mythology to believe that he is an evil figure, however, it is not quite that simple. Iktomi can be seen as both good and bad, and has been portrayed in both ways. Many other Native American trickster spirits, like Mica (Coyote)are often victims of the same misconception.

Very cool that spider has connected with Coyote which we have been talking about lately too! :)

Here is something I found on Spider Rock and Spider Woman.
            Spider Rock

Dine/Navajo

Native American Lore

Spider Rock stands with awesome dignity and beauty over 800 feet high in Arizona's colourful Canyon de Chelly National Park (pronounced da Shay). Geologists of the National Park Service say that "the formation began 230 million years ago.
            Windblown sand swirled and compressed with time created the spectacular red sandstone monolith. Long ago, the Dine (Navajo) Indian tribe named it Spider Rock.
            Stratified, multicolored cliff walls surround the canyon. For many, many centuries the Dine (Navajo) built caves and lived in these cliffs. Most of the caves were located high above the canyon floor, protecting them from enemies and flash floods.
            Spider Woman possessed supernatural power at the time of creation, when Dine (Navajo) emerged from the third world into this fourth world.
            At that time, monsters roamed the land and killed many people. Since Spider Woman loved the people, she gave power for Monster- Slayer and Child-Born-of-Water to search for the Sun-God who was their father. When they found him, Sun-God showed them how to destroy all the monsters on land and in the water.
            Because she preserved their people, Dine (Navajo) established Spider Woman among their most important and honoured Deities.
            She chose the top of Spider Rock for her home. It was Spider Woman who taught Dine (Navajo) ancestors of long ago the art of weaving upon a loom. She told them, "My husband, Spider Man, constructed the weaving loom making the cross poles of sky and earth cords to support the structure; the warp sticks of sun rays, lengthwise to cross the woof; the healds of rock crystal and sheet lightning, to maintain original condition of fibres. For the batten, he chose a sun halo to seal joints, and for the comb he chose a white shell to clean strands in a combing manner." Through many generations, the Dine (Navajo) have always been accomplished weavers.
            From their elders, Dine (Navajo) children heard warnings that if they did not behave themselves, Spider Woman would let down her web- ladder and carry them up to her home and devour them!
            The children also heard that the top of Spider Rock was white from the sun-bleached bones of Dine (Navajo) children who did not behave themselves!
            One day, a peaceful cave-dwelling Dine (Navajo) youth was hunting in Dead Man's Canyon, a branch of Canyon de Chelly. Suddenly, he saw an enemy tribesman who chased him deeper into the canyon. As the peaceful Dine (Navajo) ran, he looked quickly from side to side, searching for a place to hide or to escape.
            Directly in front of him stood the giant obelisk-like Spider Rock. What could he do? He knew it was too difficult for him to climb. He was near exhaustion. Suddenly, before his eyes he saw a silken cord hanging down from the top of the rock tower.
            The Dine (Navajo) youth grasped the magic cord. which seemed strong enough, and quickly tied it around his waist. With its help he climbed the tall tower, escaping from his enemy who then gave up the chase.
            When the peaceful Dine (Navajo) reached the top, he stretched out to rest. There he discovered a most pleasant place with eagle's eggs to eat and the night's dew to drink.
            Imagine his surprise when he learned that his rescuer was Spider Woman! She told him how she had seen him and his predicament. She showed him how she made her strong web-cord and anchored one end of it to a point of rock. She showed him how she let down the rest of her web-cord to help him to climb the rugged Spider Rock.
            Later, when the peaceful Dine (Navajo) youth felt assured his enemy was gone, he thanked Spider Woman warmly and he safely descended to the canyon floor by using her magic cord. He ran home as fast as he could run, reporting to his tribe how his life was saved by Spider Woman!

upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...Rock.jpg

Thanks for sharing✶ Talking about calves..WOW! Is that a buffalo calf behind you?

☆Love & Light★
            • Yes, I need more spider. I said last summer I was going to use the winter to type and edit my books. I've been very lazy.

Yes, I just did a second youtube vid with me reading some of my poems.

www.youtube.com/watch

Peace,
              RA
              • Unsu...

We rescue spiders too! My partner lets them crawl all over him. ((((( shivver wivver )))) I am not so brave! Then again, if I were to come across a HOBO or a BROWN RECLUSE, I would drive it all the way to Ten Buck Two before releasing it. BUT! If it hopped at me or tried to attack me I would smash it flat in a heart beat. Sorrym but my face comes way before Mr. Spider's face. I certainly would not try to hop on his face and bite it causing his eye balls to rot off over a five year period! >:-[
                • Unsu...

Ahhhhhhhhhhh! Hewwo Ron! It's a 3D you! HOW FUN FUN! :-D

I will listen to your poem when I get home. I am in a loud restaurant right now. This is berry exciting! I LOVE video poems!!!

Here is the 3D me! Well, sort of. I'm all shadowy and mysterious. :-]

www.youtube.com/watch

I said Miki in the video, but that's just my stage name. My real name is Moofy Bear. But I go by Moofy, Moo or Moof. Up to each person's preference... AND.. I go by Bob.
                  • This is the maximum depth. Additional responses will not be threaded.
                    Hey Moofy! :) ”I see you too!” (Avatar style)
                    Nice video. The first of many I hope. Cute voice. I tried to say "the critter's temple of psychedelic evolution" three times really fast, but couldn't do. Silly me. And yes, you were shadowy and mysterious. :)

I see a few of your wonderful friends have joined. Thanks for inviting them.

For everyone: Please feel free to invite anyone you believe may enjoy being here at anytime.

★Love & Light☆
              • As they say in Avatar "I see you!"

Thanks for sharing. Nice to hear your voice. It is very calm voice. Are these poems by you or are they a few of your favorites?
                By the way, how was your psychic 24/7 Monday? Did all go well as planned? I hope it did.

★Love & Light☆
            • Unsu...

Thank you, Phoenix!!!!

You have no F-ing clue how F-ing accurate you are. Pardon my outburst, but you have given me an intense confirmation to self-skepticism, which is all the more powerful because I just came home from seeing/experienceing a shamanic journey called "Avatar". <grin>

Here's why I'm shouting for joy:
              You wrote "Talking about calves..WOW! Is that a buffalo calf behind you?". Last night, I was at a friend's monthly dream circle. In the opening journey, I re-entered a dream of wild horses running which took me to another dream where I was a hunter stalking up a small rise of land with a bow and arrow, at the top was a Bull Buffalo. The Buffalo Dream initially ended when I pulled back on the bowstring and sighted-in on the Bull, he turned to me and said "Do it. Take the shot." and the dream ended. Last night, I took the shot right into the Heart of the Bull. I offered prayers and offerings in thanksgiving for his sacrifice. As I did so, White Buffalo Calf Woman was standing with us, and we had a conversation.

So, to have a person who doesn't know this tale and lives on the other side of the continent comment, was "Wow" and beyond words.

Thank you, again, Phoenix.
              • "Avatar"
                "I see you"

I gotta be careful with my Wow's. More powerful than I thought! :)

May your dreams always give you the hints you need to move forward and may we always live in harmony with all life. So are you speaking metaphorically? What happens to the buffalo now?

I just took a look at some of your photos. Wow! (oops...did it again) The photos with Dusky and Matrix are awesome. The squirrel and dolphin pics are cute.

★Light & Light☆

Recent topics in "Sacred Animal Spirit Guides"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
Short and Sweet Questionnaire 0 June 16, 2014
Frogs of Fantasy 0 April 14, 2014
What does the FOX say? 0 March 10, 2014
Bird Spiritual qualities 1 November 16, 2013