Advertisement

Demons/Dark Angels

topic posted Sun, March 23, 2008 - 9:35 PM by  Unsubscribed
Share/Save/Bookmark
In ancient Greece a Daimon, as they were called, was considered neither good nor evil. These were considered to be "guardian spirits" and everyone had one. Demons were not labeled evil until dualistic religions came into being and all spiritual beings were labeled either good or evil. This was when demons gained the reputation of trying to keep man from having a bond with god.

Different cultures view spiritual matters and even spiritual beings differently. What may be a god in one culture, another may view as a devil. Angels, demons, djinn, devas, and fay are all basically the same but are rooted in varying cultures and traditions.

In Pythagoreanism angels and demons are reputed to dwell in the air, in between gods and men. This is why demons, as well as angels, are usually depicted with wings.

A demon is the same as an angel usually. The word angel is translated from the word Malakh, which comes from the Greek "angelos". The Malakh is the dark side of god. This is the side which faces and interacts with humans. Since it is turned away from divinity, it eventually became associated with evil.

There are differences between angels and true demons. The main difference lies in the fact that a demon is usually a being that holds power or influence over the negative side of divinity and life.

Demons are also guides to the transformational process which lies in the underworld and death. Demons are represented as "Fallen Angels". A demon is actually a mediator of darkness, a "Dark Angel" in essence. These angels did not "fall" as is popularly believed. They "descended" to become the Keepers of the mysteries of the underworld.

The term "dark angel" is not limited to the fallen angels known as demons. There are other types of dark angels. These are the ones that do not reside in the underworld, but are possessed of dual natures, nonetheless. The dark side of these angels carry destructiuon. This is the negative side of the spiritual. The spiritual world, as well as the physical world, must have positive and negative in order to operate correctly.

The angels are also said to carry the swords of punishment. They are also keepers of the legends and secrets.
posted by:
Unsubscribed
Advertisement
  • Re: Demons/Dark Angels

Tue, September 30, 2008 - 12:04 AM
    i am VERY intersted in lore concerning dark angels and the FAllen, please feel free to expound on this topic. im doing a bit of my own research at the moment, and would love to find some more useful source material.

Wed, October 1, 2008 - 4:05 AM
      there is a tribe here called Vox Daemonia ...much info there ...

I would also suggest going back to classics like dante and milton who describe in beautiful poetry much of what you seek

and of course, the bible itself has much to offer on these topics incl the fallen, the damned, and the saved ...

good luck,

eury

Wed, October 1, 2008 - 9:30 AM
        im looking for something more in the way of the offices and spheres, duties and responsibilities of each, names and offices of individuals. nay ideas?

Wed, October 1, 2008 - 9:33 AM
          <im looking for something more in the way of the offices and spheres, duties and responsibilities of each, names and offices of individuals. nay ideas?>

Try the Goertia. There are several editions out. The Crowley edition is the most historically accurate.

Wed, October 1, 2008 - 10:48 AM
            read it, it lists SOME but not all of them, i was looking for a specific sphere, the dark moon angels. The Goetia lists only some of the fallen and few dark angels.

Wed, October 1, 2008 - 11:23 AM
              <read it, it lists SOME but not all of them, i was looking for a specific sphere, the dark moon angels. The Goetia lists only some of the fallen and few dark angels.>

I am sure that Llewellyn or Sam Wieser will have some sort of "complete" list as their only purpose is to separate fools from their money. If you really want this information, you have to earn it.

My recommendation is to get yourself "High Magick" by Donald M. Kraig, and take about a year to carefully go through each and every one of his lessons. One, (the 6th if memory serves) goes into the seals of Solomon in great detail. Once you have gone through those lessons, you will be ready to actually use the Goetia to gain the information you are looking for.

Good luck.

Wed, October 1, 2008 - 11:13 PM
                back when i was in my younger 20 somethings, i read Donald Michael Kraigs High Magic, and i spent more than a year completing the tasks, actually, it took me closer to two years bacause life kept getting in the way, be that as it may i have read this book as well and studied it well, and while i can ASK an angel to divulge the information required, or go so far as to bind a demen to give it up , i rather think a litlle bit of gool old fashioned research imght serve me better, thus the questions.

I take it you dont have the knowledge im looking for, thankyou very much for your help, i do intend to "earn it" as you say,im sure such an en enlightened soul as yourself has no such concerns about such things, and i wont bother you further about it.

If ANYONE else however has any information that may serve, im all ears.
        • Unsu...

Re: Demons/Dark Angels

Sat, June 12, 2010 - 9:30 PM
          Sure.. there are many books that have the answers to your questions..

How hard are you willing to look for it?

Mon, October 13, 2008 - 9:22 AM
    >>>The word angel is translated from the word Malakh, which comes from the Greek "angelos"<<<

To be more accurate, "angel" comes from the Greek "angelos," meaning "messenger." In Hebrew, angels are denominated "malakim" which also means, "messenger," and may be derived from the root for "king" suggesting that the closer translation might be courier, an official messenger or diplomat sent by the king.

I must add that I tend to distinguish between demons, daemons or daimons, simply a spiritual being without distinction between the good, the bad and the ambiguous and the devil, a term that I use exclusively for spirits of evil. That is my private terminology, but it works for me in determining how to describe the distinction between spirits generally and spirits of an evil nature. There is also a term from Greek that describes spirits of a good nature, "eudaemon", literally "good spirit", but I seldom use this in a general sense, as it is often used in a way that makes it synonymous with "god." I prefer the term "god" for God and all "gods" since the word in English is also related to the word "good", though it appears more closely akin to the Germanic for "to call." Besides, it saves two syllables over the Greek word.

I hope this clarifies the linguistic dimension somewhat.

With love under will,

Bob, Adastra,
    The Wizzard of Jacksonville
    • Unsu...

Mon, October 13, 2008 - 10:36 AM
      yes I see Adastra
      So Demons are only dark voices after-all

Thu, November 13, 2008 - 11:35 PM
        My favorite 2 are Lucifer and Azrael
        oh and Gabriel is sexy

Thu, November 13, 2008 - 11:35 PM
          sorry sorry i forgot Succubi
          I like them -_-
          • On Succubae

Sun, November 16, 2008 - 9:25 AM
            I am trying to campaign for a change in the spelling of the traditional word "succubus" as it seems to me inaccurate and misleading. The ending -us in Latin is reserved for the male gender. The female ending is -a, so I prefer to refer to this sort of spirits as a "succuba". Give the ladies their due, folks. The plural -i is also masculine, the correct feminine plural is -ae, so "succubae".

I believe the confusion of the genders here dates from the Catholic theologians and demonologists of the Middle Ages, who preferred to believe that all angels and all demons are male--for reasons that remain murky at best. They taught that a "succubus" is a male demon masquerading as a female, in fact taking on a fully feminine form in order to collect semen from the men they haunted with sexual dreams in the night. Then they changed back to the male form "incubus" and used the stolen seed to impregnate the women they visited with erotic dreams.

Why the theologians found it necessary to give to distinct names to the same demon depending on its chosen gender form is a question best left to Dr. Freud. In any case, the word "incubus" comes from the Latin and means "to lie upon", while in Latin, "succubus" comes from a word meaning "to lie under", which suggest the churchmen had very limited imaginations when it comes to the tantric arts. After all, they were supposed to have little or no experience at love-making, by order of their Church.

I suspect that the idea of erotic demons probably originated in the alibis of desperate wives to cover the embarassment arising when their husbands returned from three years on Crusade to find he had acquired a new six months old child. Though this may be merely my own lack of imagination, no offense intended to the wives in question. I sympathize in truth. Come on, ladies, you got to tell the guy something.

With love under will,

Bob, Adastra,

Sun, November 16, 2008 - 9:08 AM
          >>>Lucifer and Azrael
          oh and Gabriel is sexy <<<

Three very interesting choices. Lucifer is from the Greek and means "Lightbearer." He is assumed to correspond to the fallen angel, ruler of fallen angels, named Shaitan, meaning "adversary" in Hebrew, which gives us the English Satan. Many scholars, however, dispute this attribution on the ground that Lucifer is the spirit of enlightenment and, therefore of a positive nature. The name is probably derived from the observation of the morning star, either Venus or Mercury depending on their orbital cycles, since these are the "stars" (planets) that rise before the sun and are seen as leading the daystar into the heavens to begin the daylight hours.

In modern Satanism, the object of veneration is Lucifer, the bringer of light, not the spirit of evil. This naturally leads to severe misunderstandings with the Christianoid sects, who are congenitally incapable of distinguishing between the "Faustian" and the "Promethean" forms of Satanism. Perhaps it might have been clearer had modern Satanist chosen to style themselves "Luciferians", though the Christianoids probably would still not have been able to make the distinction, since they seem unable to get past labelling and condemning anything they have not troubled to understand. For Christianoids, the name is the thing, regardless of any information to the contrary. Once they can put a name to anything, they can find nothing else to say about it. Thus the name with all its emotional baggage is taken for the thing itself, which thus remains unknown to them--which saves them the effort of actual thought. Bah!

We should distinguish between three distinct types of "Satanists" here. There are the teenage louts flaunting their "Satanism" as a sign of their rebellion against parental authority. This is a normal, essentially necessary part of teenage development and heralds the urge to think for themselves and make their own decisions--all very healthy, but at that stage they're really not very good at it in most cases. Then there are the psychotics who hide their insanity behind a mask of "Satanism", to give themselves some paltry attempt at justification of their own evil. Think Charles Manson and Ramirez, for example. "The devil made me do it," is one of the lamest excuses in the history of human guilt; Biblically speaking it goes all the way back to Eve in Eden. Fianlly, there are the organized Satanists, of the Promethean stripe. They celebrate Lucifer as the champion of hunan freedom, not as the god of evil. They view Lucifer from a positive perspective, though they do not worship him, since they hold worship as antithetical to freedom of thought. (A glance at the Christianoids, who prefer to worship rather than to know their God suggests they have this right.) This view of Lucifer bringing the light of freedom and knowledge to mankind is the exact equivalent of Prometheus stealing fire from the gods and giving it to humans in a spirit of generosity and love in Greek myth.

Azrael is known as the Angel of Death in Hebrew and (I believe) Muslim angelology. The Muslims have a saying I heard quoted once by Joseph Campbell, "When the Angel of Death approaches, he is terrible; when he arrives, he is all bliss." I tend to believe this is accurate, since it is at least comforting to think so, though I have not (yet) put it to a test.

Gabriel is sexy in a very complete sense, because Gabriel presents as androgynous. He/she is both male and female to whatever extent angels have any gender (a thorny question indeed). In QBL, Gabriel is the archangel of the Sphere of Yesod, which is the site of the erotic principle in animals, the "id" as Freud named it, so this angel is definitely associated with sex.

And there you have it. I hope I have remembered to label clearly what parts of these comments are my own opinions; anything not so labelled may be taken as being a part of the traditional lore. Some, however, is based on personal experience and I have not bothered to indicate these, since some of it is still private.

With love under will,

Bob, Adastra,

Tue, November 25, 2008 - 8:08 PM
            fabu!

I knew most of what you touched upon Lucifer and Azrael
            but Gabriel I had no diea he was a mystery to me still so thank you for demythiying it with it's lore/history/symbolism
            I have to say Lucifer is still my favorite, I feel just surges of Bliss
            though i'm not a satanist (I prefer to make a distinction) I have friends that are satanists
            they always laugh so I assume their god brigns them joy

Sun, May 2, 2010 - 11:11 AM
    I found your post googling for a definition of Malakh. Malakh means messenger- nothing more. It shares a root with Melekah, or work. While I vaguely remember reading the "shadow side of God" some where many years ago, I have come to doubt it's authenticity- I can find no legitimate citation despite its prevalence on the internet. Shadow in Hebrew is Tzel. Shadow side of God would be TzelAdonai, or Tzel Elolhim. Never the less, even the most convincing arguments for Malakh as God's shadow have no implication of association with evil - God is simply too bright to be looked at, so we look at his shadow so as not to be burnt. It is likely (in my opinion) that the Shadow misconception arose from ancient Hebrews not defining a shadow of man in the same sense as the shadow of a building or a tree- when traveling in the desert on a day where the sun was high in the sky a man's Tzel would be his Malakh, as it would arrive ahead of him at certain times. It is likely the intertwining of ideas occurred here. In tribal discourse, when a king sent a herald on his bidding to announce his decrees, the Malakh, doing the Kings Melekah, would enter the provincial political arena with the kings wishes- the kings tzel would essentially fall over the affairs of his subjects.
    Also, dualistic religions did not arise later- Samkhya is vedic dualism dating from 200CE. The Vedas would ultimately shape Zoroaster's teachings which were going on at the same time as Classical Greek culture- the Yasna gives a prototype cosmogony that differentiates supernatural entities. To say angels, demons, djinn, devas, and fay are all basically the same is erroneous. Your meaning is is not missed, but there are nuances attached to the archetype of each that are cosmologically specific. A fairer statement might be "they are analogous"

Blessings :)
  • Unsu...

Mon, January 3, 2011 - 12:59 PM
    The Daimon part made sense. I looked that up recently. To use modern folklore, the guy who goes to the concert and has the perfect spirit, but never cared to dress up or wonder much.
    • Unsu...

Thu, January 6, 2011 - 3:22 PM
      But if the devil is listening, I've got a complaint. There is a specific starving, niccotine, vomit smell that should not be confused with the animal musk to attract lust, right?
      • K
        K
        offline 258

Re: Demons/Dark Angels - I have spoken to this.

Mon, August 25, 2014 - 11:58 PM

I have spoken to this.

VAJRASATTVA KARMA MANTRA, with teaching and references ( repost )
        dzogchen.tribe.net/thread/d...ad9925ff1

Re:
        "K,

Equating three things as:
        Sambhogakaya = Angelic Realm = Dimension of Energy.
        adds confusing concepts for me. "

Sorry to hear it, i.e that you definitely don't get how this tantra stuff works. It is the answer to the question, not a question to be answered.

BTW "Angel" is derived from the Greek word "angelos", not from Hebrew or Aramaic. It need not refer to anything Abrahamic.

Hindus have angels [ devas and devis ]. Those angels need not be defined or viewed from a Judeo-Christian perspective, whatever that may be.

I am a Sanskrit Buddhist and yogi, so I use Sanskrit and yogic definitions. This should not be too surprising, right?

K T, kilaya pujari

Remembrance Guru Rinpoche 45 Minute version
        www.youtube.com/watch

Buddha of Compassion ( Avalokitesvara ) Initiations / How to Expand Lovingkindness and Compassion
        An Extensive Set of Resources
        seattle.tribe.net/listing/N...50cbf80667

Healing Practice Open To All Everywhere : Medicine Buddha Shared Chant June & July 2014 | With Extensive Resources
        Medicine Buddha chants and teaching references and a broad range of classical practice methods

newyorkstate.tribe.net/listing/Healing-Practice-Open-To-All-Everywhere-Medicine-Buddha-Shared-Chant-June-July-2014-With-Extensive-Resources/new-york-us/c69f3623-503e-40ad-a71c-ced46e7076ee

Love, Magic and the Goddess Kurukulle ( Buddhist Red Tara ) : Teaching and Empowerment / Reference texts on Tara and Kurukulle practice (Seattle)
        7852 views since posting on Thursday, December 6, 2012

seattle.tribe.net/listing/L...e7caf4ae17

Keywords: meditation, yoga, tantra, magic, pagan mysticism, Goddess Tara ( Kuanyin ), guardian angels, Mahayana Buddhism, Feminist spirituality, Tibetan Buddhism / Vajrayana, Tantric Buddhist empowerment, Sakya lineage and Sakya Monastery Seattle.

Buddha Amitabha Pure Land Practice
        taiwan.tribe.net/listing/B...ba7df464eb

Gimme Shelter! The Guardian Angel Diamond Dagger / Vajrakilaya : Empowerments, Teachings, and Practice Resources
        seattle.tribe.net/listing/G...8fad722275

arizona.tribe.net/listing/T...4ec7106375

Expecto Patronum! Ganesha / Ganapati "Lord of Obstacles" / The Elephant Headed God, Propitiated by mantra to remove obstacles.
        sanfrancisco.tribe.net/listing/Expecto-Patronum-Ganesha-Ganapati-Lord-of-Obstacles-The-Elephant-Headed-God-Propitiated-by-mantra-to-remove-obstacles/san-francisco-ca/dd388661-2f23-4c4f-9feb-d017c3707e2c

Nature Based Mysticism Gathering 2014 : Annual Fairy & Human Relations Congress
        With links and detailed background article and shamanic teaching references

Fairy & Human Relations Congress

Keywords: nature based mysticism, the sacred circle, northwest pagan festivals, plant spirit medicine, plant spirit shamanism, flower essences, celebration of nature, Celtic Fairy Faith, north central Washington State, neopaganism, mother earth spirituality, the path of the totems, fairy religion and fairy culture, "old world" witchcraft, shamanism wizard songs.

washington.tribe.net/listing...5cb9d1dc

We've got to get back to Hogwarts
        We've got to get back to school!
        Darren Criss - Back to Hogwarts

Darren Criss & Joe Walker - Goin' Back to Hogwarts Live @ The Garage, London
        www.youtube.com/watch

Ministry of Magic - "More Than Enough"
        www.youtube.com/watch