Advertisement

crochet patterns

topic posted Fri, February 15, 2008 - 6:53 AM by  Gill-Niranjana
Share/Save/Bookmark
Hi
I'm new to this and am hoping to find either some crochet or simple knitting patterns for belly dance hip scarfs. Can anyone help? xx
Advertisement
  • Unsu...

here are a few for sale on esty....

www.etsy.com/search_results.php

i might get them myself!
    • Those are very pretty! I wish I could share my patterns, but they just come outta my head as I go...I have tried to write them down and get alll CONFUSED! But if you can crochet just a bit...make a chain the size of your hips, or a little smaller, and then just get creative with your stitches...just remember to watch your ends so they dont start getting smaller or too big...I wish you luck!
      Gigi
  • da
    da
    offline 3
    Just about any shawl pattern would work. You'd just need to make sure that your longest row was your hip size plus enough to tie.
    You may find a pattern on this page:
    www.crochetpatterncentral.com/dir....php
    • da
      da
      offline 3
      I also just remembered that you might look for filet patterns or perhaps a 'fishnet' pattern.
      I usually just make mine up as I go along but the fishnet is the easiest.

If I were making a hip scarf right now, I'd make my chain row about 10-15 inches longer than my hip measurement. My second row would be all double crochet. My third and every following row would be a repeat of: 1dc, ch 1, 1 dc, ch1. If you decrease by one stich on each end for each row, you'll make a triangle.

If you don't want it to hang quite so long, you could try something like:
      (beginning of row) The chain three is the first dc then 1dc, ch1, skip 2 spaces, put the next dc in the next three stitches. (meaning, don't finish the stitch all of the way until you're hooked into 3 sets of loops)
      (end of row, a reverse of the above directions so that both sides match) 7 loops before the end of the row, put 1dc into three stitches (a decrease, the one dc is in all three sets of loops), ch1, skip 2 spaces, 2 dc. Chain 3 which will be the first dc for your next row.
  • Somthing fun I used was this nylon cord...I thought it would be rough , but it worked up beautifully and made a beautiful set...I willpost a pic...it was easy..I made a belt base then just made a bunch of chains...Gigi
    • tribes.tribe.net/bellydanc...485fa3f01b

This is it...it was so easy...and with the cord..the knots will slip easy and comeout, so a slight bit of heat will burn the knot and it willnever come undone...or fray check.
      • da
        da
        offline 3
        I really love that belt.
        How did you attach the coins to it?
        • Thank you...each coin was attached with a jump ring, and then I tightened each ring with little tiny needle nose pliers to make sure they did not open up..it was a pain, but the end product was amazing...it was my first belly dance piece...I ever crocheted...Gigi
          • da
            da
            offline 3
            After I made my first crochet coin belt, I started paying just a little more and use split rings now. I just can't get the jump rings to stay closed for long periods of time no matter how well I pinch them or dab glue on them. I've not lost a ring in more than a year since switching to the split rings. :)

Once I stop being lazy, I'll link to the dainty one I wear for class.
            • See I could not use the split rings...I bought a huge bag of them thinking they were what I was going to use, and could not get themopen...but I have very bad arthritis, andso when I use the jump rings, I over lap them, and make them smaller, then pinch them together just like a spit ring..I've never lost anything doing it this way either, but when I forst started makingmy barefoot sandals, I did not know tooverlap them and people were complaining, and there is nothing like a complaining customer, to get a good solution for the problem...:)Is there a special brand you use...are they hard to use?
              • da
                da
                offline 3
                There isn't any special brand that I use, I just order them from Fire Mountain Gems in a decent enough quantity so that I'm not paying full price for them. When I first started using them, I almost gave up within the first five minutes. What really worked for me was a good pair of split ring pliers. The pair I had bought didn't have enough of a pointed hook (for lack of a better way to describe it) on the end of it so it was a real struggle to get them to open, much less slide anything into them. I got frustrated enough that I took a metal file to the hook and sharpened it up. From then on, using the pliers was a dream and everything went ever so much faster.

I use a second pair of jewelery needle nose pliers to hold the ring steady while I pinch it open with the split ring pliers and usually end up with only a couple of rings jumping to the floor. I'd think that if you made sure that you had a nice sharp pair of the split ring pliers and made sure that the handles had nice comfy padding on it so that your hands wouldn't cramp up too bad that you'd stand a chance of being able to use them. Of course, I don't really have too many pains in my hands yet so I can't back that statement up 100%.

I hadn't thought about tightening the jump rings up so much that they all but looked like split rings, though. Not sure if there's enough room to be able to do that on the bits that dangle from my dainty belt but I'll have to try it now just to see if I can tighten those up and save me from having to replace all of the rings.

(My sentences are really long at 3am. I so should be asleep right now. Whoops. Spent too long tracing patterns tonight.)
                • Unsu...

i make jewelry and work in steel, I also make my own jump rings.

The big secret is to hammer the rings with a chasing hammer on a steel block (the garage cement floor works too) so they are flatter, they keep their shape and are much stronger then. Also, don't just pry them apart to use them, twist them open wiggle them back and forth until you can't anymore. This "conditioning" causes heat in the ring and adds great strength and amazing durability.

<gets off the soap box>
                  • This is the maximum depth. Additional responses will not be threaded.
                    Cool! when you work with steel- I'm assuming you do arm cuffs and things...what kind of steel do you buy? Totally interested here! I want to experiment!
  • Hi.. i just learned of this tribe. Someone in another tribe suggested I post here about the belts i crocheted over the weekend. I found a "retro" pattern for a crocheted belt online and then improvised. If you go to my profile, the pics are posted there. They are just prototypes. At the moment i'm working on a pattern that is actually a shawl or scarf.... a triangle that i plan to put a lot of tassels on. We'll see how that one turns out and maybe i'll post that too... There must be a tribe for everything .. who knew

Recent topics in "Belly Dance Crochet"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
Hip Scarf pattern Pacifica Fun... 2 January 28, 2011
I am the worst crocheter... :( JoY 9 January 6, 2011
What projects are you working on? Zalea 9 December 15, 2010
Belly Dance Store Maria 0 April 23, 2010