Advertisement

Is Gaudiya Vaishnava Sampradaya a lineage of gopis?

topic posted Sat, September 2, 2006 - 7:18 AM by  Unsubscribed
Share/Save/Bookmark
Daily we pray to srimati tulsi devi to make us her own MAIDservant. The spiritual master is said to be the dearmost girl servant of the gopis. Perhaps this means we ourselves are never going to become gopis, manjaris, sakhis, and the like, but instead we will become trees and grass and parrots and rocks in Vrndavana.
Or we can become servants of the gopis in other ways. Mother Jasoda serves Srimati Radharani in a superior way, sort of, like she serves Krishna, by calling him to lunch for example. She makes sure Radharani cooks for Krishna every day. Krishna's friends like Sridama fight with the gopis I just read here online and the gopis use sticks to keep him away from Radharani. Everyone in Vrndavana ultimately serve Srimati Vrndadevi even Radha and Krishna, and she is serving them.
So my question is, is our's a lineage of gopis, at least as far as spiritual masters are concerned, since we say every morning that prayer that says so, that the spiritual master is also a maidservant of the gopis?
posted by:
Unsubscribed
Advertisement
  • > Is Gaudiya Vaishnava Sampradaya a lineage of gopis?

Yes.

> Perhaps this means we ourselves are never going to become gopis, manjaris, sakhis, and the like, but instead we will become trees and grass and parrots and rocks in Vrndavana.

The form of the jiva is determined according to the mood of affection it has developed for the Lord. Ultimately, we are encouraged to reach the platform of madhurya rasa. Before this stage however, there are four other stages of rasa, beginning with santa. The santa-rati bhaktas can reach to the point of prema. Progressively higher, are those in dasa-rasa, who can develop their affection to the point of raga. Still higher are those who have developed their attachment to the point of anu-raga--these are the sakhya-rati bhaktas. Progressively higher, are the vatsalya-rati bhaktas, who can increased their affection to the point of bhava. Then there is the affectionate serving mood of the gopies which reaches to the point of mahabhava--these are the madhura-rati bhaktas. Above all these various types of devotees is the highest of all, Srimati Radharani, who is the embodiment of mahabhava; She is referred to as mahabhava-svarupa.

> So my question is, is our's a lineage of gopis, at least as far as spiritual masters are concerned, since we say every morning that prayer that says so, that the spiritual master is also a maidservant of the gopis?

Yes, with qualification...if we are speaking of the acharyas.
    • Unsu...

Why did Sridama curse Radharani and why did Her friends keep him away from Her with sticks? I know it must be some sort of rasa. Still I am angry at Sridama, is this an offense? He attacked Srimati Radharani or something. I know he is Krishna's friend. Does Krishna confide in Sridama about His confidential affairs with the gopis? I certainly must be offensive to become angry hearing that Sridama attacked Radharani but still I am. Is this based upon the bodily concept?
    • I just wanted clarify this a little more.

> Is Gaudiya Vaishnava Sampradaya a lineage of gopis?

My response to this is yes, but that doesn't exclude those bhaktas in other rasas. In other words, at the top is Srimati Radharani and the gopis, and all others are in service to them, either directly, or indirectly. gopi-bhartuh pada-kamalayor dasa-dasa-dasa-dasanudasah.
      • Unsu...

I already know what the answer must be regarding being angry at Sridama, or Sudama, any of Krishna's friends. I mustn't dare! I am not liberated I am fully on the bodily concept. Still it does make my blood boil a little bit.
        • Unsu...

It's just that my mind is attracted to serving Radharani when she is in the mood of seperation. This is described as being the highest ecstacy, so who wouldn't want it? And I will do anything I can to get it! I know now how I got this mood, I caught it from my guru! It wasn't because I bathed at Radha kunda, because I didn't notice it right away after that. It was from his classes. It must have been. All glories to my guru maharaja!

Recent topics in "Bhakti Discussions"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
Festival for the Eyes 2008 Ekendra 0 March 10, 2008
Radharani I'm so sorry! Unsubscribed 3 December 30, 2007
Rudrani dd -- Leaves Her Body! Bhava dasa 2 December 28, 2007
Why no Garlic ? Bhava dasa 0 November 9, 2006
Devotees not living near a temple Kamalasundri 3 September 9, 2006