Advertisement

Biria Easy-Board Series of Bicycles...Any Opinions?

topic posted Sun, January 18, 2009 - 11:37 AM by  Roger
Share/Save/Bookmark
Hello, fellow cyclo-philes:
I would appreciate your opinion on the step-through, Biria brand bicycles. Has anyone ever ridden one? I've heard complaints that step-through bicycles are not very effective when riding around typical, American cities because the frame does not have the same kind of solidity that diamond-frame bicycles possess, therefore, affecting performance and feel. Does anyone have an opinion on this? I will be using it primarily for short rides around my neighborhood to complete errands. My neighborhood is an urbanizing surburb in Miami-Dade County, FL. Any input or advice is strongly encouraged and appreciated.

Here is a link to an example of the Biria bicycle for which I'm saving up:
biria.com/bicycles/eb/eb_top_3_black.jsp
posted by:
Roger
Miami
Advertisement
  • I've only ridden step-through bicycles in super bike friendly areas. They are heavy, and as far as strength, I'd not worry about that so much unless you're doing some off road stuff —the one I rode (a rental in Germany) was built like a tank, and weighed about as much as one. That being said, I don't mind them, and they have a lot of benefits. I really enjoyed the one I rented, but they are wicked expensive from what I can tell.
    • Hello, Birka,
      Thanks for your input. Yes, I have heard about the weight issue, as well. I will have to hall it up one flight of stairs, but I'm pretty strong. The lightest I've seen is 35lbs, which isn't that bad. Also, their most expensive is about $700, plus a $97 delivery charge. I do not own a car anymore, so I'm willing to spend that much on a bicycle because ONE car check up used to cost me $800 each time! So, a one-time expense of that amount doesn't bother me.
      • Actually, that's really reasonable. The ones that I saw for sale in Germany last summer (new) were around 1000€, which, at that time, was about $1,500-$2,000.

You'll have to let us know how it works out for you! (I do love getting new bicycles. I too am carless, so I totally get that!)
  • I've never seen a step-thru bike. What are the benefits for people that prefer them? $700 really isn't that much for a nice bicycle, esp. if it's your main mode of transportation.
    • FD,
      That's exactly how I feel about the whole "price" issue. Well, for me, the step-through bikes eliminate having to throw your leg over the seat to straddle it in preparation for riding. Also, when stopping, you can simply shift your feet through and dismount without having to stop the bicycle completely, therefore making stopping more efficient. This is especially good for those who have had leg surgery. It works great for those who ride to work or an event in their dressy clothes. It also works good for some elderly riders who may not have the kind of lower body strength needed to straddle a bicycle the way others do. Finally, some have argued that it could be safer, in that when an emergency situation is realized, a rider can quickly and more easily dismount without having that crossbar as a hindrance.

On a personal note, I am tremendously clumsy, and I've tried to dismount on regular diamond-frame bicycles, while still moving to no avail. It's just tremendously awkward, due mostly to my long legs. Secondly, the threads in the seat of my pants kept weaking and coming loose. Thankfully, I'm pretty good with a needle and thread, but that gets annoying after a while. With a step through, there's no cross bar to stretch your leg over.
    • Unsu...

The benefit of the step thru really comes into play when you're trying to dis/mount your bike on slick, snowy pavement when you've got full panniers. Not having to swing a leg over a diamond frame is quite a benefit. Check out the design on the new Salsa Fargo to see a traditional frame design that incorporates the ultra-low top tube design.

A friend in Portland rides an Uptown 8, and her bike is awesome. She uses a pair of bucket panniers on the back, and a Wald basket up front, and it's one of the most fantastic bikes I've seen. Since she's car-free, it's her only transport; and I agree with others in saying that the price of a good bike or equipment is justified when it's your main transport. (I have about $2K invested in my commuter, and I'm getting a Bikes at Work trailer this summer.)
      • What great aspects! Since I am car-free I can relate to nearly all of those reflections. And full panniers do make it awkward!! Thanks for the feedback. Currently I just ride a cheap decade+ old poser mountain bike which seems to be more of a hindrance than anything...but it gets me where I need to go and gets the groceries home.

Recent topics in "Bicycle Commuting"