topic posted Fri, May 7, 2010 - 6:06 PM by  1derful
Share/Save/Bookmark
GO!
posted by:
1derful
Advertisement
  • Re: RV vs Tent

Fri, May 7, 2010 - 6:07 PM
    Point 1 for RV: Air conditioned and clean during a dust storm.
    Point 1 for Tents: Unlike an RV a destroyed tent costs significantly less money to replace.

Fri, May 7, 2010 - 9:35 PM
      Last year was my first burn, and I'm really happy I was in a tent. I think you lose a lot of the experience of Burning Man by walling yourself off in an RV. There's something to be said for having to brave the elements!

Of course, if someone wants to grant me access to their RV this year during the dust storms, a little walling off might be a good thing. :D

Tue, May 11, 2010 - 8:25 PM
        Tented the first year. A real bitch trying to set it and our shade shelter in a raging dust storm. Did an RV for our second year. Didn't have the right adapter plug for our gennie to run ac, so the inside became as dusty as the tent did. So, in a way no diff except for the rv having a personal throne to defile. This year we will have the right adapter so maybe we will be able to enjoy ac bliss during the dust storms.

Tue, May 11, 2010 - 10:19 PM
          step 1 - buy costco carport (with sides......duh)
          step 2 - put tent inside carport
          step 3 - lather, rinse, repeat

Wed, May 12, 2010 - 12:33 AM
          shitting in an RV is a big no-no at Burning Man. Smell really carries there and the smell of rotten eggs from an RV septic tank can get hundreds of feet in any direction.

Tue, May 25, 2010 - 10:00 AM
            >shitting in an RV is a big no-no at Burning Man. <

As is shitting around a strangers campsite... please try and make it to the porta-potties.

Tue, May 25, 2010 - 10:01 AM
      Springbar.. as dust free as you decide to make it. Leave shoes and clothes outside and it will stay dust free. Yes, the cost but perhaps no more than the RV rental and you can sell it later

Wed, May 12, 2010 - 7:40 PM
    learn to eat dust. when you go away from home "the burn" you taste the burn for days ,reminds you of what is real. dust rebuilds the bones, and the soul.

Wed, May 12, 2010 - 9:48 PM
    I've been in a tent 3 of 4 years, an RV the other. I prefer the tent, hands down.

We split 2 RV's between 9 people. Lots of drama. We hung out in them too much. Sleeping wasn't that great due to all of the people with different schedules. It was fairly expensive. Cleaning the rentals to turn in was a bitch.

Tents are great. Like Bobzilla said, cover your tent. I prefer the Monkey Hut to the Costco carport. It's lighter, better in the wind, cheaper and you can make it as big as you want.

www.chromatest.net/Lovemonkey/

Tents are fine at night and harder to hide in during the day. Plus it's your own space.

That being said, I just built a Hexayurt at Toast. It was fan-fucking-tastic and I'll be taking it and a Monkey Hut to the burn and that thing in the desert around July 4.

www.appropedia.org/Hexayurt...checklist
    • Now, the Truth can be told

Sun, May 30, 2010 - 8:54 AM
      Sleeping in a tent, is like bagging some republican chick.
      She may be cute, and God knows her zippers like to undo themselves, but your not going to show her off to your friends.
      Tents leak. they make noise in the wind. Flap, flap, all night, until you go nuts. Zero insulation, can't keep the sun out, and they turn into a E-Z-Bake oven, in the sun.

R.V's bring their own problems. Basically, lots of money, for some mostly imaginary creature comforts.
      Yes, Great shelter from the ShitStorm, your own personal,private tinkle parlour, and an actual door that can be slammed, when it is time for the compulsory argument.

But R.V.'s are a long tail. It is never cheap to get one onto the playa, they require almost constant maintenance, get unspeakably filthy, and cut you off from the festival, except for the fact that ThumpThump drills right through the flimsy walls.
      Of course, the Black tank fills up by Tuesday, and until it can be emptied, your back to making the midnight pilgrimage to Saint Crapula's Shrine, just like all the other filthy hippies.

So, you say, exactly what is this Big Ape's clearly Self-righteous solution, to this problem?
      Well, glad you asked. Didn't have to be so rude about it, though.

I say the future is in Laminated corrugated cardboard.
      I've built my various houses out of them for years, and it works great.
      I get refrigerator boxes, a gallon of Elmer's, and some white paint, and let my Inner Bauhaus go to work.
      I used to build very square buildings, then I found the Hexiyurt people.
      Great concept, I usually start with a hexiyurt form, and change it to suit my current needs.
      I build the house in my barn, break it down like scenery, and put it back together on site.

The one place I diverge with the Hexifolks, is building material. Foam board is nice, but once you get it, your stuck with it.
      Can't burn it. Feel guilty about sticking it in a landfill. You have to keep bringing it back to the Playa, every year, until it is a road cancer ridden pile of moop.

Two plys of corrugated cardboard insulates surprisingly well, paint the outside, and it is kind of waterproof, production costs are silly cheap, and at the end of the festival, I burn it. Fire is a great way to clean stuff up, and I have all the more room to bring bags of other' people's moop home with me.

A fresh house every year. The Nomadic lifestyle, brought up to date.
      • Re: Now, the Truth can be told

Tue, June 1, 2010 - 11:19 AM
        My carport is 10x20. My tent is 10X10 and is a pyramid shape ( www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en...OVMCAEFAIWE 0

The tent is made so that instead of using the single, center pole, you can tie a loop at the peak of the tent to a line and throw it over a tree. I tie the peak to the center rib of the carport giving me 10X10 feet of open tent space. I put an actual full size futon bed complete with frame in my tent. This leaves me with a 10X10 space in front of my tent still in the car port. Here I have chairs, coffee table, stereo, etc. Prett comfortable if I do say so myself.

Sun, July 25, 2010 - 9:54 AM
    We have a small, very old RV. We use no generator or electricity, thus no a/c and noise. Just two adults. We won't be arriving until Wednesday. Where is the best place for us to camp? I know a lot of people don't like RV's and I want to respect that.

Sun, July 25, 2010 - 10:47 AM
      Mary Lou, please feel free to camp whereever there's space after Wednesday.

Bobzilla, I get off the ground, too. I put a Coleman air mattress inside the bed of my 8' pickup with camper shell. Over the camper shell and about 6-10' behind the truck I have a monkey hut, so I have the shade, too. It's been comfortable enough for two years now.

Recent topics in "2010 Burning Man Virgins"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
Younger Women Older Men Dating Unsubscribed 0 October 10, 2014
Bisexual Single Dating Unsubscribed 0 October 8, 2014
Bisexual Single Dating Unsubscribed 0 October 8, 2014
funny gays Unsubscribed 0 August 21, 2014