Advertisement

Best Tool Ever -- The Rebar Puller!!!

topic posted Wed, August 16, 2006 - 8:22 PM by  Unsubscribed
Share/Save/Bookmark
What can I tell ya -- it's basically a copy of the back end of a claw hammer. Weld a handle and a couple of 6" pieces of 1/2" box tube onto a piece of angle iron, and there ya go! To use it, just put it up on that thar piece of rebar and give it a tap with yer toe to set it, then lean back on the handle and watch the most stubborn pieces lift right up out of the playa.
I'm not sure how to put the pic here, so it's in the gallery. See y'all on the Playa, papayas!

OhmyGoditssocloseIcantstandit
posted by:
Unsubscribed
Advertisement
  • Ben
    Ben
    offline 0

Re: Best Tool Ever -- The Rebar Puller!!!

Tue, May 12, 2009 - 1:34 PM
    Hello,

Last year we were assisted by some friendly burners who brought a hand-held device, about 4-5 feet long, which extracted rebar from a standing position. Taking down camp on Saturday in the dust storm was rough, and this device came to be somewhat of a messaiah. Was this you? Wanted to say a big thanks if so! Also wanted to know if you would consider helping the mechanically useless by building one for me. I would be more than happy to pay you for it - whatever would be worth it to you. Please let me know either way at ben84455@yahoo.com

Thanks,
    Ben
    • Re: Best Tool Ever -- The Rebar Puller!!!

Tue, May 12, 2009 - 4:08 PM
      We have a four foot "wrecker bar" we call the gorilla bar. Basically a giant green crowbar. May not have been you, but we have lent it out. No bending down, just stick it under and lever it up. We use it in the default world too, MyLarry took up the kitchen subfloor with it.

You can buy these at construction supply stores.

Wed, May 13, 2009 - 8:11 AM
        YAY, Anti M!

I have one of those 4-foot 'wrecker' bars, too. I'm still finding wonderful new uses for it in the default world.

If you've ever tried to set termite stakes around a house, they provide you with this little auger and T-bar that you're supposed to screw into the ground to move the soil out and install the bait/pesticide stake. I use the pointy end to make the hole quickly by stabbing the soil, and instead of taking hours to set all the stakes, it only takes a few minutes.

I also use it in geology to lift out large slabs of shale at outcrops. Went up to a section of road cut near Canton, Missouri and lifted out close to half a ton of shale in an hour just to get at the geodes that occur on bedding planes I filled up two five-gallon buckets full of geodes to sell to a local rock shop, and made a tidy profit for my trip on one hour's work.

Tue, July 21, 2009 - 11:50 AM
      You can buy a stake puller from Amazon for about $70. Well worth the money if you have a large camp.

www.amazon.com/Tolman-Too.../ref=sr_1_1

I camp with one of the largest camps in the playa. I didn't go last year, and one of the comments I got the most was how much they missed my stake puller. I should have been hurt they didn't say they missed ME, but really, this thing is such a life saver when you are tired, cranky, dehydrated and hung over, trying to pull stakes from the hard playa floor, I can almost forgive them for their insensitivity. If you have more than 4 carports in your camp, this little guy will save you lots of sweat and a whole lot of cursing.

Recent topics in "Burning Man Tips"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
Shoes for the Playa Be 49 January 17, 2014
younger women looking for older men Unsubscribed 0 December 19, 2013
porta potty protocol angelicfiend 1 August 15, 2013
best goggles? 3 August 15, 2013