Advertisement

Living in an 18-Wheeler, Lorry, Semi....aka a big truck-trailer

topic posted Sun, July 6, 2008 - 9:30 PM by  transfag1
Share/Save/Bookmark
All posts moved & thread re-named (can't rename a thread without moving it and starting over).
Please try to remember that once a thread moves down from the top (most recent) position, no one will know WHAT your thread is about (and therefore will have no reason to click on it) unless you include that info in your subject line.
People do read the archives, we do revive threads & add to them rather than start duplicate threads & re-invent the wheel. The more specific your thread title, the more helpful it is to others searching the archives.
That's the same reason we don't do the usual "bad online forum etiquette" of encouraging threads titled "I was wondering..", "Anyone know...", "Question", "An idea", "Anyone tried this?", "Hello from New Zealand", "Anyone from Minnesota?" etc.......
Thanks.

tf1

new post
Re: Cheap and Big Shelter........... Today, 3:02 PM
" The whole vehicle would be your pull-out vehicle."

Now, I've always heard that the 'pull-out method' doesn't work very well.

.................................................................................................

new post
Re: Cheap and Big Shelter........... Today, 2:31 PM
in response to: Re: Cheap and Big Shelter...........
I could see converting the trailer into living quarters. The whole vehicle would be your pull-out vehicle. Shit gets bad, you go somewhere where it's better. If your area becomes contaminated with Bio agents or radioactive fallout, then pull-out and go elsewhere.

I wouldn;t want to bury one though. The would not support very well. There are other threads talking about using shipping containers and partially burying them, but everything I';ve read says they will not support a complete burial, so I doubt the trailer on an 18 wheeler would either.

Re: Cheap and Big Shelter........... Mon, June 30, 2008 - 9:21 PM
in response to: Cheap and Big Shelter...........
Martyn,
Are you trying to capitalize on the mobility of the semi--- being able to haul around your living space on a truck---or are you interested in this idea because of the sheer size? If it's the latter (size) then you will want to look the threads on Shipping Containers. Better, stronger, nearly indestructable--- but not mobile. UNLESS you buy the truck, keep the container there semi-permanently or permanently. But that is not "cheap" (a running semi with a hauling trailer plus a $1500-$2000 40 ft shipping container would not meet anyone's definition of "cheap shelter", chances are. At least not when you compare it to the price of the readily available shipping container alone ($1500-$2000 plus under $1000 if you're lucky, to haul it to your location).

Also, just a reminder, in general----it's best if folks search existing threads to see if your topic of interest is already there, AND title any new threads in such a way that people have a good idea of what your thread is actually about. Since this whole tribe is "cheap shelter", a thread called "cheap and big shelter" doesn't tell us much. I'll probably move the post into an existing category.....I think we already have some going, re trucks and truck living. A lorry or semi fits there.... .
Thanks.

Re: Cheap and Big Shelter........... Sat, June 21, 2008 - 3:10 PM
in response to: Cheap and Big Shelter...........
I think you'd have to be sixes and sevens to live in a lorry trailer. Brass monkeys in the winter, kettle in the summer. Bollocks. that's about all the brittish I know.

you'd have to get pretty inventive about insulation, unless you bought a 'reefer' trailer in which case you could probably get that refrigerator unit going and keep mighty cool in the summer.

I've seen semi trailers used as auxiliary outbuildings, storage buildings, and even limited use as living spaces (usually adjacent to the building where the kitchen and the bathroom would be) in extreme climates, you also need to do something about all that draft space underneath the trailer, you could put solid skirts all around and use it for storage, perhaps.

Cheap and Big Shelter........... Sat, June 21, 2008 - 12:51 AM
Please excuse me if this is total crap. as it is only my second post.

Also if the spelling is "different" I AM an English Guy........ OK????? Lol

How about using an Articulated Lorry Trailer? ......errr Ok , A SEMI TRUCK Trailer to my USA Friends. ( SECRET: I just moved to Los Angeles From UK, Via Spain, I am still getting used to the differences in the language)

they are BIG.

I see em advertised cheapish on ebay and Craigslist.

PROBLEM would be getting then to the place of "Habitability"

Just a Thought Folks!!!!!

Martyn
Advertisement
  • depending on what you need a semi trailer could make a better home than a container. i haved worked on semi trailers but not containers. semi trailers are much much lighter in contruction but in most cases larger either 96 or 102 wide.

the semi trailer to build a home from imho would be a drop deck type van trailer. same as moving and storgae companys use. "kentucky" is a brand of them. even the us navy has one that has s;ide outs like a travel trailer. of course this one is dedicated to an aegis missle ship testing unit. it even had marines that stayed with it while we did repairs to the trailer

but was super cool and above all it was massive inside space and easy entry as dropdeck vans are low to the ground unlike standard semi trailer which would be a real pain to enter and leave from. being 5.5 to 6' feet tall at deck height

i think a retired "staright" truck with a dry van body would make a super mobile home. some even have lift gates. get a small cummins or 3208 cat engine. and like someone said before if stuff gets bad , just drive to another locale.

but used semi trailers are also very cheap in price

respects and blessings, johnny
    • This post was deleted by transfag1
      • This post was deleted by transfag1
    • depending on what you need a semi trailer could make a better home than a container. i haved worked on semi trailers but not containers. semi trailers are much much lighter in contruction but in most cases larger either 96 or 102 wide.

the semi trailer to build a home from imho would be a drop deck type van trailer. same as moving and storgae companys use. "kentucky" is a brand of them. even the us navy has one that has s;ide outs like a travel trailer. of course this one is dedicated to an aegis missle ship testing unit. it even had marines that stayed with it while we did repairs to the trailer

You know I have reading how people have made homes form shipping containers, how difficult would it be to make a home from a Semi Trailer container? Has any one ever done it?

Recent topics in "cheap shelter"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
Tiny House Built on Wheels transfag1 0 December 6, 2013
Tiny Houses transfag1 9 December 19, 2012
Threads & Thread Titles transfag1 17 August 23, 2012
Pole Barns transfag1 7 June 25, 2012
shipping container living Unsubscribed 106 March 4, 2012