Advertisement

Metal Culvert Pipe

topic posted Sun, May 2, 2010 - 5:34 PM by  transfag1
Share/Save/Bookmark
Tamara wrote:

Re: Pre-formed Concrete Pipe Today, 4:43 PM
Blessings All
How about the metal culverts they use under road ways. I check out one company in Alb.NM and they sell the 10 in diameter for $61 a running foot. These are made to order. Forgot to get a card and will later this month on one of my trips to Alb. Lighter then cement.
In Love & In Light
Tamara
Advertisement
  • Re: Metal Culvert Pipe

Sun, May 2, 2010 - 5:41 PM
    <<<one company in Alb.NM and they sell the 10 in diameter for $61 a running foot.>>>

10 inches in diameter would make for a pretty tight living space. :0

I really like those large metal culvert pipes that run under roads, as you mentioned, Tamara. I love how they look (I have a thing for corrugated galvanized metal), and yes, they're definitely lighter than their concrete counterparts!

Anyone here ever seen the large diameter metal stuff for sale? You could transport at least an 8ft x 25ft section on a rollback, and a longer flatbed truck could haul a much longer section than that. I've never been able to locate any of this kind of pipe for sale; granted, I haven't looked in a couple of years.

Mon, May 3, 2010 - 6:31 AM
      Blessings
      It was ten feet not inches. They make many sizes as anything over four ft is custom made to order. When I stop in they had a ten ft one with one end close. So will be checking back with them on one of my trips this month. I can use a friends trailer to haul up to a 20/24 ft one. For me these seem the cheapest way to go for a under ground home. Just have tunnels from one to the other. I do have a tractor with backhoe so I can dig out a place myself. Also have a welder.
      Have a great week all
      In Love & In Light
      Tamara

Tue, May 4, 2010 - 5:31 AM
        You would need to be able to move them around once they were delivered. they are probably pretty heavy. If you had a partial underground dug out for them.....with only the top curve showing above ground....you would be safe and it would look pretty good.

Sat, January 8, 2011 - 10:26 PM
          Informative spec sheet re metal culvert sizes, weight, gauges:

www.metalculverts.com/technic...scms.htm

To get to their home page, just use the root url. They sell culvert pipe here as well.
          • Unsu...

Re: Metal Culvert Pipe

Fri, January 14, 2011 - 2:36 PM
            If you have a backhoe already, moving them around isn't a problem.

If there was a way I could convince my wife to go for a completely 'underground' home, I would totally make a hobbit-hole type of dwelling. We have a hill on the 'back 40' that is just perfectly pitched for it, facing southwest with a beautiful view of the ozark mountains rolling off to the horizon.

alas, it's just on the other side of the 'that's just too wierd' line of social perception, according to my other half.

settling for the superinsulation of a strawbale home instead.

Recent topics in "cheap shelter"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
Tiny House Built on Wheels transfag1 0 December 6, 2013
Tiny Houses transfag1 9 December 19, 2012
Threads & Thread Titles transfag1 17 August 23, 2012
Pole Barns transfag1 7 June 25, 2012