Advertisement

Cheap yurts?

topic posted Fri, May 15, 2009 - 2:17 AM by  Djinn
Share/Save/Bookmark
I might be moving into a yurt this summer, somewhere in Southern California where it is kind of hot for at least half the year. I need something at least as insulated as a yurt that is capable of air conditioning. I dont need any other amenities because I can use those in the main house.

Any tips for buying a cheap yurt, or cutting down on the costs?

I am not much of a carpenter, but how hard would it be to build the frame up to standards then just buy the cover?
posted by:
Djinn
California
Advertisement
  • Re: Cheap yurts?

Sun, November 1, 2009 - 8:04 PM
    If it is keeping a structure cooler for summer, then consider erecting a shade sail over the top. bit like a second roof with air flow underneath to take away the heat.

Sun, February 28, 2010 - 2:30 PM
      Posts moved here to the Yurt thread, from an old duplicate thread.
      Older posts are at the bottom, newer at the top.
      .............................................................................
      ............................................................................

Re: A Question from a newer tribe member Sun, November 18, 2007 - 5:28 PM
      in response to: Re: A Question from a newer tribe member
      I'm also a fan of the simplicity and space of a teepee. When I was in scouts there were two other troops who used full sized ones. The nice thing about a teepee is how cool it stays in the summer, the shape makes it practically a solar chimney, sucking the hot air up and out the hole in the top. In the winter that little two-inch gap along the ground can be drafty... One troop set up a small second wall tied to the inside walls of the main beams, making a double-walled, insulated and draft-free teepee. The best part is being able to use a normal campfire, and having the smoke ALWAYS go predictably straight up. Since I'm one of those guys that gets chased around by smoke, I really appreciate the advantages of a teepee
      Satiera

Re: A Question from a newer tribe member Sun, November 18, 2007 - 5:15 PM
      hear, hear !
      Firm believer in Military Surplus ! If it is good enough for our troops ...! And the price can Not be beat !

Re: A Question from a newer tribe member Sat, November 17, 2007 - 5:56 PM
      I have to second Brent's vote for the cabin tent with a small stove inside. Those MilSurp deals are unbeatable for warmth, utility, and durability if your heart is set on a small canvass structure. They don't cost too much iether, and framing them up is a cinch.

John

Re: A Question from a newer tribe member Thu, November 1, 2007 - 8:14 PM
      It depends what you build them from. If you use wood, they are great. True a traditional yurt is a "tent" but so was a house at one time.

John

Re: A Question from a newer tribe member Thu, November 1, 2007 - 2:41 PM
      in response to: A Question from a newer tribe member
      I think they are great and many people do live in them. I have a friend that lives in a 24' one up on the Eel River in Northern California. It's a Pacific Yurt brand, and then she hand built a 16' Bath house next to it with Strawbale Walls. Very nice! I am building one over the winter for Festival use. Your biggest expense will be the cover. Real canvas is not cheep...

Re: A Question from a newer tribe member Thu, November 1, 2007 - 2:16 PM
      Those tents are called Wall or Cabin Tents, Yurts/gerts are round and domed.
      coloradoyurt1-px.rtrk.com

Re: A Question from a newer tribe member Thu, November 1, 2007 - 12:29 PM
      I'd like to have one of those heavy canvas tent's with a wood burner inside. The kind they use in hunting camp's. This wouldnt be in the yurt catagory would it?

Re: A Question from a newer tribe member Thu, November 1, 2007 - 12:03 PM
      yurts are big TENTS. i know people who lived in them until they literally rotted down around thier ears. they're ok if you don't mind that they aren't rodent resistant nor grizzly proof. hope the wind don't blow too hard. unless you're on the steps where yurts evolved and there isn't any trees to fall on it or tree limbs to blow through it. but as tents go it ranks with teepees.

Re: A Question from a newer tribe member Thu, November 1, 2007 - 10:46 AM
      What is a yurt?
      Satiera

Re: A Question from a newer tribe member Wed, October 31, 2007 - 2:54 PM
      Yurts/gerts are great.
      They have been used for centuries.
      Consider researching traditional construction methods.

A Question from a newer tribe member Wed, October 31, 2007 - 9:39 AM
      What are all y'all's opinion about Yurts? It looks to me like I could build one from scratch for between $500 - $2000 depending on how much of the materials I can scrouge and how much I have to pay for. I'm talkinf about an approximately 300 square foot structure.

Sun, February 28, 2010 - 3:24 PM
        I helped put up a commercial Yurt, I can not remember manufacturer, it was well made and went up relatively easy. Putting up the roof fabric was the most difficult operation.
        What I wanted to say, as much as I like the yurt, there's no insulation or insulation value in the basic yurt. Maybe you could put rigid insulation on the roof before you put the fabric on and if you hang rugs on the walls or put bat insulation and cover it with fabric it would be insulated. Don't the indigenous folks who use yurts (Mongols and some more Western folk) have a fire under the center hole??
        Anyone who took on building one from scratch has my admiration and I'd think it would be fun and gratifying.

Wed, February 16, 2011 - 9:03 PM
          Bumping this thread up, as we have a new member who has expertise in building yurts. Yurt fans, stay tuned. ;)

Thu, February 17, 2011 - 2:42 PM
            have posted a little info trans free to anyone who wants it. have researched yurts for years now.they have only been in the us sense the early to mid 70's. there are a number of plans posted on the net. i have offered the plans i have found and you can do a search construction of a yurt by monica cello. she is a member of the sca. this one is the easiest i have found however you need to make a few changes if you intend to use it heavy snow areas or it tends to invert.easy fix just place post on two sides of the roof ring to carry the extra weight. my first yurt stood up to a 36inch snow fall first year up.

Thu, February 17, 2011 - 2:57 PM
          i recently found a company that makes insulated mats for covering cement that has a layer of foam insulation sewn into a tarp that is uv resistant they custom make them at a cost of 460.00 dollars. seems like a good idea to me but a little pricey. another thing i have found is a 20ft swimming pool cover fits a 16 ft yurt like a glove.i use the pvc tarps for the walls from those white tent garages. 1-7x20 and 1-7x30.it takes 50ft to go round a 16ft yurt less the door. i think the last ones i bought were around 50 bucks. a 12oz cotton canvas tarp that i used on my first one was 160.00 bucks and it took me 8 hours to hand sew with a palm stitched the smoke hole. the thing with these tarps is you almost have to water proof it or it will mist intil the fibers expand and seal up. some use Thompson, but i think a tube of silicone and paint thinner mixed together and brushed or rolled on works best.it kinda makes it like vinyl. the smell goes away when it cures.

Sat, April 2, 2011 - 9:44 PM
            Mars wrote "i recently found a company that makes insulated mats for covering cement that has a layer of foam insulation sewn into a tarp that is uv resistant they custom make them at a cost of 460.00 dollars. seems like a good idea to me but a little pricey. another thing i have found is a 20ft swimming pool cover fits a 16 ft yurt like a glove.i use the pvc tarps for the walls from those white tent garages. 1-7x20 and 1-7x30.it takes 50ft to go round a 16ft yurt less the door. i think the last ones i bought were around 50 bucks. a 12oz cotton canvas tarp that i used on my first one was 160.00 bucks and it took me 8 hours to hand sew with a palm stitched the smoke hole. the thing with these tarps is you almost have to water proof it or it will mist intil the fibers expand and seal up. some use Thompson, but i think a tube of silicone and paint thinner mixed together and brushed or rolled on works best.it kinda makes it like vinyl. the smell goes away when it cures."

Thanks for the details and tips. Stuff I definitely wouldn't have known.

Thu, February 17, 2011 - 2:34 PM
    NEW to this tribe I enjoy building yurts from scratch,and i have plans that i found on the internet will share what i have and the price is right. free thats right nota red cent just send me your e-mail and I will send it right out to ya. and if you need any advice on building a yurt i am no pro but i have built 3 all 16 ft. and i have a few tricks to make it cheaper to cover. and have made some changes that i think make it stronger. if you would like to see some of my pictures visit modern yurt tribe i have a few posted there.

Sat, March 5, 2011 - 2:11 PM
    well just stumbled across a really nice yurt dealer the real deal straight from Mongolia so if you have never seen a real yurt or gher as they are known. over there check out groovyyurts.com

Sat, April 2, 2011 - 11:15 PM
      I like groovy yurts yurts, if I were to buy one I shoot for one of theirs.

Sun, April 3, 2011 - 6:06 AM
        they do have some really nice stuff and the prices seem fair also.

Sun, April 3, 2011 - 10:32 PM
          I found them when I was looking for a Yurt for Sweetwater. Sweetwater wanted a 30 footer so we went Pacific Yurt, if I remember right. It is a nice Yurt and has held up over the years. But I do like the more or less authentic Yurts of Groovy. I do like all of their accoutrements.

Sat, April 16, 2011 - 9:26 AM
      the best thing about groovyyurts is they are the real thing made by real people in mongolia that band together to build yurts by the container load,and then brought here for sale. they are very high quality and the price is very reasonable. so if you are looking for the real thing give yves a call or visit their web site. yves also invited me to see one of there yurts set up near here in the spring i can not wait to see the real thing up close.

Recent topics in "cheap shelter"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
Tiny House Built on Wheels transfag1 0 December 6, 2013
Tiny Houses transfag1 9 December 19, 2012
Threads & Thread Titles transfag1 17 August 23, 2012
Pole Barns transfag1 7 June 25, 2012