Advertisement

Stiffening tulle?

topic posted Fri, January 18, 2008 - 7:12 AM by  Bellatrix
Share/Save/Bookmark
I am trying to make a layered, fluffy tulle skirt as part of my next costume, and I somehow managed to get a tulle that's too soft. I need it to have some good volume and substance to it, and the tulle I have now is a lot more floaty and soft than I intended.

However, I LOVE the color of it (I needed it to be a dark cream), and have already spent to much time on it to scrap it & start over. So I was wondering if there was a way to stiffen it? I thought maybe using something spray starch? Has anyone tried something like that, or does anyone have any better suggestions for stiffening it?
posted by:
Bellatrix
Kansas City
Advertisement
  • Re: Stiffening tulle?

Fri, January 18, 2008 - 7:21 AM
    Are you gathering it? If so, I think the general rule is to gather / gather / gather / to the point you can hardly work with it.

And maybe instead of spray starch, get a bottle of liquid starch...might be easier to control the *strength*...

Uh, and good luck! Post a picture when it's done...I'm curious.

:D :D :D

Fri, January 18, 2008 - 7:45 AM
    water down some white glue---or use a product like stiffy---used to make doilies stiff

make sure you dry it in the shape you want it

Fri, January 18, 2008 - 9:44 AM
      I thought about doing the water & glue thing (like seizing muslin), or the water & flour thing (heck - it works for paper mache)... I think I may have to do several test strips... I don;t want it to be hard as a rock, though -- I still gotta dance in it! :)

Fri, January 18, 2008 - 8:02 AM
    Nope, can't help with that. The only thing I've ever done to modify tulle was paint liquid latex on it. It creates a really cool effect, but that's probably not an effect you're going for. Thought I'd throw it out there, though, in case anyone wants to file it away for future reference. It makes the tulle almost like the webbing between a frogs toes.

Fri, January 18, 2008 - 11:47 AM
    Definitely test first. Tulle is tricky because if you get something too think on it, you are going to fill the spaces and it's going to look spotty and strange. Good luck!
  • Use a stiffer underlayer

Fri, January 18, 2008 - 4:49 PM
    A stiffer tulle/organza in a compatible color as an underlayer will give more volume and substance because the underlayer will support the softer tulle.

Or - apply the tulle the way the ballet costumers do - upside down:) That means - with the raw seam edge pointing towards the floor. The tulle will do a U-turn over itself and give more volume.

Recent topics in "DIY/ Bellydance on a Budget"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
Is anyone still around? 21 April 8, 2014
Need ideas for my ''tribal'' belt Jadielle 2 February 18, 2014
What's your preference? Panel belt vs. Front closing? Andrea 2 December 25, 2013
Cleaning Zills Marta 14 December 23, 2013