Advertisement

Flared trouser pattern

topic posted Sun, November 16, 2008 - 5:46 AM by  Patsy
Share/Save/Bookmark
I am looking for a pattern for tight fitting hip trousers with a big flare from the knee, I will be making them from gold spandex, I am ploughing through all the pattern makers but can't find anything yet, any ideas?
posted by:
Patsy
United Kingdom
Advertisement
  • Re: Flared trouser pattern

Sun, November 16, 2008 - 5:52 AM
    I took apart a pair of tight fitting "sweatpants" to use for a pattern. I drew in the flare with chalk.

Sun, November 16, 2008 - 8:07 AM
      I have a pair of old tight fitting sweat pants that I can use as a pattern and for the flares I will do a big circle shape for each leg that I will sew on above the knee, thanks for the tip!

Mon, November 17, 2008 - 4:00 AM
        I have found that I only need to use a half circle for the flared bit, I did a mock up with scrap fabric yesterday, when I have finished them I will post a pic, need to find some reasonably priced fabric now, spanded in Hobbycaft for a bit pricey, fabric land is my favorite website, I will have a look there.

Fri, November 21, 2008 - 6:17 AM
          i'd like to see them too :)
          as far as i know, most people just use a pair of existing pants that fit the way they like, and then for the flare, anything greater than 90degree angle (you know,when you draw it while they're laying flat) will give you a pretty substantial flare

Fri, November 21, 2008 - 11:21 AM
            Oh, hmm. never seen it before.

I've considered trying that, but I'm daunted by the butt and leg area. I'm not very experienced with stretch fabric and I can't imagine getting them to fit right would be anything short of a nightmare.

Sun, November 23, 2008 - 12:32 PM
              Put the pants on inside out, then pin them to fit you. Use lots and lots of pins. Baste the seam with a zig zag stitch, then put the pants on right side out. Try walking, bending, and sitting in them. If it's all ok, resew the seam with matching thread and a zig zag stitch. If there's fit issues, tear out the basting stitches at the problem area, put the pants back on inside out, and repin.

Sun, November 23, 2008 - 5:28 PM
                Cool! I may actually give it a shot now! I just got a pair of Desert Dancer minis I can use for a pattern. :)

Mon, November 24, 2008 - 5:57 AM
                  Stretch fabric is much more forgiving than woven fabric especially for snug fitting garments, and most stretch fabric doesn't ravel, either. Always use a zig zag or stretch stitch to preserve the stretchiness.

Recent topics in "DIY/ Bellydance on a Budget"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
Is anyone still around? 22 June 20, 2014
Need ideas for my ''tribal'' belt Jadielle 2 February 18, 2014
What's your preference? Panel belt vs. Front closing? Andrea 2 December 25, 2013
Cleaning Zills Marta 14 December 23, 2013