Advertisement

Mate Kombucha

topic posted Tue, March 7, 2006 - 8:41 AM by  Tyler
Share/Save/Bookmark
I have had a batch of mate kombucha and black tea kombucha next to each other for the last several months, brewing batch after batch. The mate is now producing and maturing TWICE as fast as the black tea. Both are from the same mother. Does anyone have any sort of scientific explanation for this? Is mate just a super tea?
Lovin' the mate explosion~
-t
posted by:
Tyler
California
Advertisement
  • Re: Mate Kombucha

Fri, March 10, 2006 - 9:50 PM
    I tried blending black and mate teas once, and it seemed to take a looong time to ferment. How does the mate blend start out? I just got a couple large jars, so maybe I'll start one of mate...

Mon, March 13, 2006 - 4:29 PM
      I use A LOT of mate... 1 cup mate to 1 gallon water... at least.
      Then just the regular 1 cup sugar...
      I also like to put mint, dried orange peel, and other flavoured teas in with the brew.
      The larger the mother gets the faster it seems to brew... I like to have my mommas be at least an inch in girth.

Fri, July 7, 2006 - 10:22 PM
    I'm a kombucha newbie, but was wondering about making it with mate...hmm...maybe I'll try that next.

Sat, July 8, 2006 - 8:08 AM
      I am also a kombucha newbie...what is the recipe that you all are using?
      Mine is 1 quart of water and 1/4 cup of sugar. It brews fast. My kombucha is not really that pleasant to drink...it is soooo strong.

Sat, July 8, 2006 - 12:46 PM
        Most the time when its to strong there are 2 reasons for this.

one is not enough sugar or the type of sugar you use.

two is the amount of time ti ferments. The longer it goes the stronger it gets.
        average time for one gallon is 5-10 days. Depending how warm it is. I always taste my brew at day 4 to see where its at. My gallon batches take 5-7 days cus its really warm in my house.

I brew just under a gallon at a time. I use a gallon glass container,
        1 gallon distilled water, minus 2 cups to make room for the starter K
        2 cups starter kombucha. or 1/4 cup white distilled vinegar.
        1 cup organic evaporated cane juice (sugar),
        12-15 grams organic green tea. which = 3-5 teaspoons or 5-7 tea bags.
        1 tea spoon = 3 grams.

Hit me up if you all have further questions. Ive been brewing for a while and have done really extensive research. Tons of my close friends brew as well so we exchange info.

Sat, July 8, 2006 - 12:52 PM
      Ive not tryed the mate yet myself. Before you try just make sure you have a back up culture that is pure strain. Once you start adding other herbs and teas to you culture it will change your culture. So every baby it has afterward will be a different breed of kombucha. If that makes any sense? : )

that way if you give a baby away you know it will be pure, old fashioned kombucha.

Kombucha is very sensitive. ONce you start feeding it other teas and herbs or fruits it will change the bacteria/yeast/lichen make up. Nothing wrong with that. Just keep a back up in case something goes wrong.

Sat, July 8, 2006 - 2:43 PM
        Wow, thank you for this recipe. I am going to brew larger and see how that works. I am using jasmine black tea which I love the taste and not distilled water. i have amazing spring water. it is also warm in my house and so this is the problem. My batches are probably actually done in just a few days and /i am letting them brew for a week. ok.
        thanks again.

Sat, July 8, 2006 - 12:35 PM
    I dont have a scientific answer for you. But I do have an answer that comes from my own brewing experience and research.

If your mother is really fat and thick your tea will brew much faster. Also temp is a big factor. The warmer it is the faster kombucha ferments. 4 days is the fastest Ive had a batch brew. That was in the peak of summer last year. GTs kombucha takes 30 days to ferment cus his batches are HUGE.

Mate is very high in minerals and vits. This could also play a factor. Black tea has less mins and vits and antioxidants than green or white tea or mate.

Sun, August 13, 2006 - 10:47 AM
    www.seedsofhealth.co.uk/fermen...s.shtml

Here is a link to good kombucha articles. A good reason for the difference in fermenting times is also the fact that you are making an herbal (mate) kombucha which has entirely different properties and chemical make up than that of tea. I have used roiboos tea for a friend who doesn't do caffiene and the fermenting time was half that of my regular pu-ehr brew. I have also noticed green tea doesn't take as long as pu-ehr. I have used several types of sugar from conventional to organic turbinado and there hasn't been any difference in brew times. I have read you could use barley malt or honey here is a guy who does it users.chariot.net.au/~dna/kombucha.htm

Cheers-

dan

Recent topics in "Fabulous Fermentation"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
Rare kitchen tool discovery for fermentors! janeO 10 December 3, 2013
thick ginger beer?? WHAT'sup!!! Kathy 0 September 12, 2013
kombucha chopper-the ... 13 August 3, 2013
jun? Dara 13 June 4, 2013