Advertisement

Turkish Shimmy

topic posted Fri, February 5, 2010 - 4:15 AM by  Sasha
Share/Save/Bookmark
Could someone please explain the arms for the turkish shimmy while turning the wheel? Is the left arm up or down while doing the two turns?
posted by:
Sasha
Advertisement
  • Re: Turkish Shimmy

Fri, February 5, 2010 - 9:32 AM
    Left arm is up.

Never heard that "turning the wheel" term before. Cute!

Fri, February 5, 2010 - 9:38 AM
      I don't get it....what is "turning the wheel"?

Fri, February 5, 2010 - 10:07 AM
        It's the TSWAT in a circle. I think she's calling the circling "turning the wheel".

Sat, February 6, 2010 - 11:14 AM
          ohhhh, I see now....haha, cute

Mon, February 15, 2010 - 11:42 PM
            turning the wheel - to change the leader in a formation - ie. we dance in a moving clockwise (sometimes anti-clockwise) direction till new leader steps up. We use that term all the time in Australia. What do you call it in your country??

Tue, February 16, 2010 - 12:20 AM
              We just call it a lead change, transition, or "circling". I like turning the wheel, though!

Tue, February 16, 2010 - 9:57 AM
                I thought I heard someone say that in a GS or TT once, makes sense.
                • Unsu...

Re: Turkish Shimmy

Wed, February 17, 2010 - 12:58 PM
                  we've been using " turning the wheel" for a few years....I forgot where I heard it, but it makes it for an easy reference.
                  • This is the maximum depth. Additional responses will not be threaded.

Wed, February 17, 2010 - 1:30 PM
                    I wonder how the phrase "turn the wheel" works on the mind of students, as opposed to "changing the lead"? When I encourage turning the wheel, sometimes, students just keep turning the wheel - ie. chickening out of taking the lead. Does anyone have this experience with "changing the lead" ?
                    • Unsu...

Wed, February 17, 2010 - 1:44 PM
                      Yes. I chicken out of taking the lead most of the time regardless of what Philippa and Jesse call it! Transition, change lead, I chicken out. Mostly. Working on that.

Wed, February 17, 2010 - 2:39 PM
                        I think the words...'turning the wheel' makes me think if facing in to each other in a circle, so I could see it being the same for the students.

We have a pre-designated lead in the fundamentals course and part of the combinations course, so there's no chance to 'chicken out'.
                  • This is the maximum depth. Additional responses will not be threaded.

Thu, February 18, 2010 - 3:08 PM
                    wasnt the term used in one of the earlier FCBD vids?

Mon, February 22, 2010 - 10:13 PM
                  I definitely heard it used in my GS in Australia about three years ago - I have it highlighted on one of my pages cos' I liked it so much :)

Recent topics in "FatChanceBellyDance"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
drill vids Jedda 9 December 1, 2012
Dancing while pregnant robyn 22 October 17, 2012
FBCD Costume pieces Zina 4 October 11, 2012
Just found this interview with Carolena :) offlineErica Datura 2 August 28, 2012