Advertisement

iNDIAN pIPE

topic posted Thu, August 5, 2010 - 9:27 AM by  LLB
Share/Save/Bookmark
I foudn some indian pipe the other day at a freinds house. Such a fascinating plant! very ghostly looking. totally interesting how they grow, they grow on mushroom roots or mycelium that get their food from trees or plants that get their energy from sun... one crazy threesome of symbiosis!
Indian Pipe is interesting though as a pain killer but also as a psychiatiric medication. it has been used as a nervine for people with serious mental illness in the past effectively from reports.
They are just so neat!
it seems all of these PNW saporphitic plants have some psychoactive effect.
posted by:
LLB
offline LLB
Washington
Advertisement
  • Re: iNDIAN pIPE

Mon, August 9, 2010 - 11:35 AM
    The Indian Pipe I must say is a delightful plant to work with. The Menstrum of the plant has turned purple, and it is very beautiful. the once white stems have turned blackish purple in the alcohol. Nearly like some azure fungi.
    Very lovely!

I will be curious about the effects it is supposed to be helpful for mental health issues. Easing psychosis and anxiety ect... A good thing to treat people coming down off of meth...

Mon, August 9, 2010 - 11:53 AM
      en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monotropa_uniflora
      Indian Pipe, Ghost flower, Corpse Plant, Fitsroot, Broomrape, Convulsion-Root,(Monotropa uniflora)
      Family: Monotropaceae
      Requires rich soil, decaying plant matter
      Characteristics:
      a saprophytic perennial herb
      White color (has no chlorophyll), turns black when it matures
      Uses:
      Plant juice used for inflamed eyes, warts, and bunions
      Leaves:
      Few small, scale-like, white leaves
      Fruiting Structures:
      Drooping flowers when white, upright when black to eject seeds
      notes:
      Because it has no chlorophyll, Indian Pipe obtains energy by parasitically tapping into the mycelia of a mycorrhizal fungus, which has a symbiotic relationship with a tree.

Touch this plant and it will melt in your hand. It has a ghost like appearance thus the names with refferences to death. The Birds Nest name refers to the tangle of roots. The plant can be dried but turns very dark.
      Medical Uses: Both Native American healers and white doctors used this plant at least till the early twentieth century. The juice mixed with water was used as a wash for eye problems. This ophthalmic use was apparently quite common and thought highly effective. Sores on other tinder tissue were also treated with a solution. It was also considered a sedative and antispasmodic and so used to treat fits and convulsions such as occurs in epilepsy. It was considered a good substitute opium in many cases.
      The dried seedpods are highly valued as a ceremonial smudge.
      Indian Pipe (Monotropa uniflora L.) "weakosî'nk" [in a bunch]. According to Mrs. Spoon the proper name of this is "mena'mabag weabskû'nakûk" [white flower smells good]. The Potawatomi medicine woman, Mrs. Spoon, used the roots of this plant to make a tea for female troubles. Among the whites,136 the root is said to have tonic, sedative, nervine and anti-spasmodic properties. There is a record137 of the use of the root as a sedative in place of opium and of its use in fevers in the place of quinine.

"Ryan Drum notes that "consumption of 15 ml or more of Monotropa tincture can bring deep sleep and ultra vivid dreams, often bizarre, frequently erotic."

David Winston notes that Monotropa uniflora is a diaphoretic especially well suited to fevers with pain, this suggests its use in illnesses from malaria to West Nile virus to serious influenza infections. He also notes its antispasmodic and anticonvulsant properties.

But it is the anodyne and sedative properties Winston notes are among its most unique and amazing gifts.
      Tommy Priester describes Monotropa as a plant that takes your pain and puts it beside you. You remain aware of the pain but you no longer feel it. He speaks of a friend able to calmly watch surgery performed on his own foot after taking Monotropa tincture.

I speculate that Monotropa may act on the sensory gating channels, preventing the sensation of pain from reaching the neocortex while still allowing non-sensory pain signals to reach the brain.

Monotropa also shows great potential as a sedative for people having dissociative or psychotic episodes. Ryan Drum tells a story of using the plant for this purpose:

"A very agitated distraught large young man came by at dawn one day. He was gesticulating wildly, speaking very loudly, rapidly, angrily, rather disjointedly and a bit menacing. ALIENS WERE IMPLICATED, threats, large weapons, revenge, cleaning up the place (of undesirable neighbors) plus grossly inflated assumptions of personal grandeur. Charming.
      "He claimed not to have slept for at least three days and nights and that his head was boiling with unsolicited thoughts and images. His history included perennial meanness and medicated behaviour. I diagnosed sleep deprivation, dehydration, too much recreational medication, and no real food for many days, extreme anger, social isolation, and a desperate attempt to stop his delirium. Finally, during the first break in his rapid rambling 3-hr monologue, I asked him what he wanted from me. Besides potential sanctuary, he wanted herbal help to sleep and start thinking clearly. At that time I did not know he had been menacing neighbors and family. I told him I would give him a potion to do both, the strongest medicine I had. If it did not work in 4 hours or less, it wouldn't work for him. I gave him 2 ounces of a mixed tincture of Monotropa and Sea Blush Roots (an abundant annual marine valerian, Plectritis congesta) which he drank at once. Shortly after he left me, he napped, made circumstantial peace with his family, and voluntarily boarded the law enforcement plane for his involuntary journey to a psychiatric hospital for evaluation"

[greenmanramblings.blogspot.com/20...ml]

Mon, August 9, 2010 - 12:41 PM
        The only thing is that it is definetly not broomrape, which is a cistanche, shaped like a large, 3 foot penis with a large round bulb at the end, and usually takes 2 hours to dig up. with a pickaxe.

What you are calling Indian Pipe, i used to call Coral root :
        www.google.com/imgres

Are you finding lots of it? It was one of 25 years ago, it was a plant in this area of the bio region, was considered rare and scarce, so i never did collect enouph to work with for a long time. Purple huh? maybe there is some shikkonen in it. (cancer fighting isolate).

So anyways, i always lumped it into nervines, and Yin Tonics. It likes to be mixed with the rare Ladies Slipper Orchid for nerves. It is light, and good for use over a very extended time. a tad of licorice is excellent with it too. I was taught this is a long term nervine. Definetly something someone should try if they do not like the effects of valerian.

Meth- it will not touch, nor be a good backup to a meth head. i know. I might suggest zizyphi seed, schizandra,poria or ling Zhi, Scutellaria root (huang qin), fossilized repile bone (dragon bone), with perhaps a touch of coral root, or btellia, and licorice. Perhaps bit of magnatite powder or pearl pwd, and some powdered amber (succinum electrum, not that perfume amber stuff)

Licorice root is great for the exausted adrenals that accompany meth use. Unfortunately, outside of the time it takes to repair a meth addled skull, there is little that is helpful except exercise, sedatives, and a tonic that is active enouph to replace the energy that a meth freak needs, to feel ok, and not fall back on the stuff to 'wake them up' again. Ceremonial sweating is real good for meth detox, 9.5 water and such.

herb pharms bugleweed and motherwort combination might also be a viable psychiatric addition....
        herb-pharm.com/catalog/bu...-p-214.html

If you do have it plentiful enouph for tincturing, i would like some of that! if its not too rude, what ratio are you using?
        • This post was deleted by Flint 中

Mon, August 9, 2010 - 1:09 PM
          Your probably right about the broomrape, that was copied form another site.
          its very different then coral root.
          users.rcn.com/jkimball.ma...dianPipe.jpg
          but they are both saporphytic.
          I am finding some... I might find more of it soon.
          but yeah its a nervine for sure.
          My thoughts for meth was that it would probably be good for meth induced psychosis after the actual chem has left the system. But its just a thought.

I dont have much right now, it came up last week at a freinds house. I am going to go over there and look for more. I only got one small flowering stem. there where more there though, and I am goign to try to go get some soon. I will see if there is more to harvest out in his woods.

Mon, August 9, 2010 - 1:18 PM
            be very careful when digging the roots up. They are fine, and fanned out in the soil like coral, so much of the plant is lost to people not being patient to take the time to remove the dirt gently. :)

Mon, August 9, 2010 - 1:24 PM
            these are the type of broomrape i am familiar with using:

www.google.com/imgres

www.parasiticplants.siu.edu/Orob...a.jpg

Mon, August 9, 2010 - 3:47 PM
              yeah defintely not broom rape... maybe it an old name or misidentified... yeah but thats not it for sure.
              The roots are whats so interesting they act like mushrooms do to mushrooms. They use the mushrooms roots to get energy from trees... its crazy. I wont be using the roots though just the flowers and stems.
              They are white, almost remind me of a mushroom.

Mon, August 9, 2010 - 8:43 PM
                mixes good with orchids and aspargus root, and ling zhi too.

Mon, August 9, 2010 - 10:11 PM
                  I found the mother load... About 300 grams. Im making a tincture of that now with a 5th. it already turning purple. Just amazing. The ghost flower. white with black lace on the edge. just lovely. I think these plants have found me due to my profession... This medicine helps seizure... antiseizure medicines are typically used as antipsychotics. This would be a wonderful medicine for some one who is having the "hard" trip...
                  • This is the maximum depth. Additional responses will not be threaded.

Re: iNDIAN pIPE

Mon, August 9, 2010 - 10:27 PM
                    nice.... you know what? it might sound weird, but i would tincture it for a moon cycle underground..... increase its yin powers..

Recent topics in "Flint's Herbal Medicine"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
Back in Zee Zaddle again! Flint 中 0 April 19, 2014
Just What in the Heck is Healing? Flint 中 1 August 13, 2013
Elderberry Flint 中 10 May 12, 2013
Frequencies of essential oils LLB 9 November 9, 2012