Advertisement

What else besides glucosamine/chondroitin?

topic posted Wed, November 1, 2006 - 3:29 PM by  Unsubscribed
Share/Save/Bookmark
What other supplements are good for joint health? I take a glucosamine/chondroitin supplement, but I still have a lot of crunchiness - both natural and from past injuries.
posted by:
Unsubscribed
Advertisement
  • Re: What else besides glucosamine/chondroitin?

Fri, November 3, 2006 - 7:39 AM
    Have you ever tried putting arnica ointment on the sore spots? Some people I know are passionate about its benefits. I'm still experimenting with it on my own body, but my first impression is positive.

After teaching my classes each week, I would have a swelling on the joint where my second toe meets my metatarsil due to some foot alignment problems. It felt like a pea-sized swelling deep inside my foot. I found that slathering it in arnica before I taught made the swelling less likely to happen, and slathering it in arnica afterward calmed it down rather quickly.

So far, that's the only experience I've had with arnica on a joint, but it has been a very positive experience.
    • Unsu...

Re: What else besides glucosamine/chondroitin?

Fri, November 3, 2006 - 11:58 AM
      I haven't tried that, I'll buy some for my knees (injured my quads, kneecap slippage/swelling). Thanks for the recommendation - and the advice to use it before, which I wouldn't have thought of.

Tue, November 7, 2006 - 6:18 PM
    Although I bought it primarily for skin, hair and nail improvement; MSM according to the bottle "is an organic source of sulfur, a mineral that is vital in the formation of collegen, connective tissue, and healthy joint cartilage. MSM contains the raw material you want to help support your joints so you can enjoy your most productive years"

I can't tell you if it works or not as I have only been taking it a very short time, and don't really have joint issues, however... here is an article from wikipedia

Thu, November 9, 2006 - 7:46 AM
    I recently received email from someone who is allergic to sulphur. She didn't know that glucosamine and chondroitin contain sulphur, and as she took the supplements over time, they built up in her system and she had a bad reaction to them. Apparently they also pose a problem for people who are allergic to shellfish.

So while I believe that these supplements are beneficial for many of us, I do want to offer that caution - if you start taking them, listen to your body, and if you notice red, blotched skin, itching, or swelling, stop taking them and ask your doctor for advice.
    • Unsu...

Thu, November 9, 2006 - 7:45 PM
      Thank you for that warning, Shira, I will pay very close attention to it.
      • Unsu...

Thu, November 9, 2006 - 7:48 PM
        Okay, just killed two birds with one stone - I checked the supplement I've been taking for nearly a year, and it has sulfer. So no need for other sulfer, and probably no sulfer allergy.

Thanks again, everyone. Licorice and arnica it is.

Sat, November 11, 2006 - 9:18 AM
          Licorice is very good. Use care, though, if you have high blood pressure you shouldn't take it. Calcium is a wonderful pain reliever, especially when taken with vitamin E to increase oxygen to your cells (helps them heal and recover), calcium is also wonderful for your joint healing!

Look for calcium that is balanced with magnesium. You can take a lot of calcium! But if you don't have the magnesium with it, it will not digest into your body properly and can cause sleepiness and depression-like symptoms.

Hope that helps!
          Salihah

Recent topics in "Bellydance Health, Fitness, and Anatomy"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
what is an omi, anyway?? Annie 11 December 9, 2013
"Belly Dancer's Syndrome"? Unsubscribed 23 November 15, 2012
bellydancer syndrome sara 3 November 15, 2012
Viral Myalgia (muscle pain) Gailene (Zam... 12 September 19, 2012