Pulled chest wall muscle...any suggestions?

topic posted Thu, August 30, 2007 - 5:06 PM by  Unsubscribed
I possibly pulled the pectoral muscle/chest wall muscle just above my left breast. It hurt so bad I went to the emergency room the other day thinking I was having heart problems! Taking Tylenol only helps so much, any suggestions for massaging/working the pain out?
posted by:
  • Re: Pulled chest wall muscle...any suggestions?

    Thu, August 30, 2007 - 5:41 PM
    Mine does that on my right side too, you thing your having a heart attack. Be careful rubbing so close over bone/ribs, you can irratate it more. I actually have a knot in the pectoral from overworking the sore muscle. I can feel it, but I use light pressure o it an djust hold till it softens. Otherwise I'll bruise it. Give it some time to heal.
    I dance with a lager heavy snake that I hold up and put him on my shoulders, and dance with wings, and swim. So I do a lot of high range motions with my arms.

    Hope you heal quickly!
    • Re: Pulled chest wall muscle...any suggestions?

      Mon, August 31, 2009 - 2:46 PM
      I had this same situation! I thought I was having heart issues and it turned out that my EKG was fine. I was so worried! I let it go on too long though, I could have had mental relief sooner if I had gone in and had my doc check me out. Now I know why heartattacks kill so many women, we just put all the symptoms on the back burner and go on like nothing happened...everyone should take all of these types of pains seriously, have them checked and then we can relax and not stress unecessarily. I hope you are well now. I think it may take a week or so more of rest, I have noticed it hurts less when I work just a little and not too much overuse.
  • Re: Pulled chest wall muscle...any suggestions?

    Fri, September 7, 2007 - 9:46 PM
    My husband and I have both done this with resistance training at the gym. You aren't the only one!
    • Re: Pulled chest wall muscle...any suggestions?

      Fri, September 7, 2007 - 9:50 PM
      By the way, no need to feel embarrassed. So it was a false alarm today. A lot of women die, because they don't recognize the symptoms of a heart attack, which are different than they are for men. I was so embarrassed when I went in for my stress test to learn I just had a pulled muscle. But, you know what? I have a strong history of heart disease in my family. I can tick off a long list of men and women closely related to me who have just keeled over dead of heart attacks. And the doctor and nurses who administered the stress test told me I should not be embarrassed at all, and if I felt the same symptoms again, I should come in again and be tested. This is a life-and-death matter. Better a false alarm than the alternative, right?
  • Re: Pulled chest wall muscle...any suggestions?

    Thu, August 5, 2010 - 4:44 PM
    I pulled my chest muscle so bad I ended up in the hospital thinking I had a blood clot in my lung.There was a knot or lump the size of a fist between my breast. It had a bruise all the way around it I couldn't breath or hardly move let alone walk.The doctor said it was a class 3 muscle pull with tearing I was in alot of pain and wasn't embaressed one bit about going to the hospital emergency room. I was so scared it was something else the longer I sat in the emergency room the worse the pain got.It was sharp and radiating out from the center of my chest between my breast.I still have no idea how I pulled it,I had to get someone to pull me out of the bed each morning,it's now 2 1/2 weeks later it's gotton better but I repulled it driving while I turned around to get over.I never knew that a pulled muscle could be this bad.I just need to know how long something like this takes to heal? I put heat on it I have been in bed every day now for almost 2 weeks,when can I look for it to heal all the way?
    • Re: Pulled chest wall muscle...any suggestions?

      Fri, August 6, 2010 - 3:50 AM
      Did the doctor mention repairing the tear in any way? A grade 3 muscle tear is pretty severe and may require surgery to reattach the torn muscle. Definitely check with your doctor, or another doctor if you'd like a second opinion, about what may be the best treatment option for you.

      In the meantime, with this being very recent and involving bruising, ice would be much better for you than heat. When muscles tear, they bleed. All the blood that has leaked out of the muscle has caused your bruise. Applying ice will help the blood vessels that were damaged when the muscle tore to constrict, thus slowing down the rate that the blood is leaking out. When using ice, wrap the ice pack/bag of ice in a towel or washcloth so that the ice is not in direct contact with your skin. Don't want frostbite! Apply the ice for 20 minutes at a time, with 20 minutes to an hour without the ice, then another 20 minutes with ice. Repeat the 20 minutes on, 20 minutes to an hour off pattern for as long as you need the pain relief.

      To help reduce the bruising further, try to find lotion with vitamin K (you may need to go to Whole Foods or a health store for it). Vitamin K is a natural clotting agent. Research has shown that applying lotion with vitamin K directly over the bruise will help reduce it much quicker than without. The vitamin K will act to help the damaged blood vessels stop leaking out more blood, as well as help the currently leaked blood get reabsorbed quicker.

      I wouldn't recommend letting this problem go too long without investigating with your doctor what needs to be done to help you heal as quickly and as optimally as possible. With grade 3 muscle injuries, the longer the tear goes without being rejoined, typically the harder and less likely it is to get back to the function and lack of pain you had before the damage occurred.

      I hope you feel better soon! Keep us posted.
  • Re: Pulled chest wall muscle...any suggestions?

    Thu, October 28, 2010 - 5:55 AM
    OMG I went to the emergency room screaming in agony over my chest. They did an EKG, blood test, and chest x-ray, told me I was having a panic attack and tried yesterday sticking me on heavy dose extreme anxiety medication. I have been up all night crying from teh amound of pain they told me is in my head. Thinkign what is wrong with me and why is there so much heat and burning and no matter how much i stertch or try and sleep or do anything I can barley function, and popping anxiety. I am 100% convicned this is what is most likley wrong with me. I even made a second appointment with my doctor.. she said I'm 23 year old girl nothign is wrong with me and to just go hoem and take my pills. I have been crying non stop wonderign what is wrong with me. I feel traumotized. Started puking from stress. Thank god I found this website. I am goign in immediatley and gettign them to see if I haven't already damaged myself it's been four days of hell. Any suggestions would be soooo helpful right now. even how to calm down through the pain,m becuase I am not stupid and it is NOT anxiety.
    • Re: Pulled chest wall muscle...any suggestions?

      Thu, October 28, 2010 - 11:06 AM
      well, i tsounds like now, anna, you also have anxiety.
      You need to be really clear about how you may have over-stretched or pulled a chest muscle. Are you an athlete? Did you do a new move? Or soemthing repeatedly? or are you NOT an athlete who tried to do something?

      A friend had me tak eher to ER a few years ago- she thought she was havign a heart attack due to chest pain. They reviewed her movements and decided that sha had a chest muscle pull due to movign a larg esuitcase form a trip They sent her home with pain relievers. She never told the docs that she had decided to go off ZOLOFT with out telling anyoen and the ER docs did not knwo she was on it. She didnt tell me til afterwards- my gues snow is that goign off the ZOLOFT may have also caused anxiety which may havebeen a par tof her pain. Thouhg, I never saw the suitcase so I dont really know.

      I hope you find an easing in your situation.
    • Re: Pulled chest wall muscle...any suggestions?

      Thu, October 28, 2010 - 12:11 PM
      I hate to sound like a poop-head, but take the anti-anxiety meds… if for no other reason than to be able to tell the doctors that it can't be anxiety because you're already taking meds for that.

      Get yourself some Bio-Freeze or Tiger Balm or something along those lines that you would use for a torn muscle in your leg. See if that does anything for you.
      Have them give you a full range-of-motion test with your upper extremities so they can see that you have hindered movement.

      If regular doctors won't do anything, find a chiropractor or a naturopath – someone who will at least listen to you.
      • Re: Pulled chest wall muscle...any suggestions?

        Fri, October 29, 2010 - 4:27 AM
        I second the recommendation of visiting a chiropractor! They are specialized in diagnosing and treating musculoskeletal and nerve conditions. While MDs are great for many issues, this is not their arena. They are trained to look mostly at the organs, but typically aren't as good with the musculoskeletal things as chiropractors are. A chiropractor will also most likely give you a very thorough examination to determine what the problem may be. It's definitley good that you went to the ER to rule out a heart condition. Now that the life-or-death situation is ruled out, we can persue other possibilities. I advise not taking the anxiety meds, but that is completely your decision. Pain is your body's indication that something is wrong with it. Just because no one has discovered what that problem is yet does not mean it is in your head. And who knows what sort of other effects the meds may have on you, both physically and mentally. Anxiety meds are not going to eliminate the pain and definitely won't fix the problem that is causing it; at best, they will just affect your mind to the point where you no longer care that you're in pain--and likely will no longer care about much of anything. Not something I would want for myself, but again, that is your decision to make. Without being able to examine you, it is hard to suggest what the actual problem may be. There are many possibilities. You may have pulled or torn a muscle. Perhaps the nerve which innervates that area of your chest is being overly irritated for one of several reasons. Maybe a blood clot has lodged in the tiny blood vessels supplying your muscles. A chiropractor can determine these things and more, as well as determining what the best treatment may be, whether that treatment is something that can be done in their office or if you will need to be referred to a different specialist.

        Let us know how things go. I hope you feel better soon!

Recent topics in "Bellydance Health, Fitness, and Anatomy"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
Bath Salt,pain killers and chemical research vendor Unsubscribed 0 February 21, 2016
looking for gay master/slave Unsubscribed 0 February 14, 2015
what is an omi, anyway?? Annie 11 December 9, 2013
"Belly Dancer's Syndrome"? Unsubscribed 23 November 15, 2012