Advertisement

rhodiola and yerba mate effects on adrenal fatigue

topic posted Mon, January 21, 2008 - 12:35 PM by  sue
Share/Save/Bookmark
i seem to be suffering from adrenal fatigue (low cortisol saliva test), and have been reading conflicting info on both rhodiola (decrease or increase or just help stabalize cortisol?), and yerba mate (stimulating effect good or bad for adrenals?). Thanks!
posted by:
sue
offline sue
SF Bay Area
Advertisement
  • stimulants in general tend to have a negative, or depleting effect on, on tired adrenals... Although Rhodiola is marketed as an adaptogen, I have seen it have a negative, stimulant-like effects on many people, including those with adrenal fatigue. On the other hand, some people swear by it, I'm just stating my clinical experience.

I would suggest that any kind of caffeine and that included mate, is a bad idea for adrenal fatigue.

Ashwaganda is a good suggestion, as it's more relaxing, and helpful to the thyroid and the whole HPA axis. However, it's possible to further exhaust the adrenals through adaptogens, because it can alleviate symptoms before any deeper restoration occurs. Of the adaptogens though, Ashwaganda is certainly one of my favorites for this kind of issue.

Another lesser known adaptogen this is more local in nature, and very specific to the adrenals is Nettle Seed, I've written about it and there's links to more info too
    bearmedicineherbals.com/
    bearmedicineherbals.com/

Adrenal fatigue is a chronic disease with far reaching implications.... and successful treatment usually includes dietary changes, lifestyle changes, nervous system restoration, re-mineralization as well as directly treating the adrenals themselves.

Recent topics in "Herbal Medicine"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
Help for Heartburn 4 December 6, 2013
DIY pills Pri. Etient 0 February 15, 2013
It Is Sad What Happened To This Group offlinekahuna Lamaku 7 February 14, 2013
Facebook friends Gypsi Star 2 February 13, 2013