Advertisement

Tea for newborn infants?

topic posted Wed, March 31, 2010 - 1:13 AM by  Djinn
Share/Save/Bookmark
Generally speaking herbs are a no go for newborn's, and often for the mothers as well. However, I have read that sometimes it is safe to give tea for colic and gas to infants or that there are teas the mother can use to reduce symptoms in her child via her milk. Does anyone know anything about this?

Of course treating the underlying condition and eliminating problem foods should come first, even before treating with herbs. However, once gassy foods have already been consumed its good to have a backup plan.

Is it ever safe to give an herbal tea to a newborn infant? Are there teas you can give to the mother for the same purpose? What are they?

I was thinking fennel and ginger.
posted by:
Djinn
California
Advertisement
  • Re: Tea for newborn infants?

Wed, March 31, 2010 - 1:29 AM
    slippery elm..Native Americans gave it to babes that could'nt suckle milk..
    catnip for tummy issues/colic..sleeplessness..
    fennel..
    chamomile..
    • Unsu...

Re: Tea for newborn infants?

Wed, March 31, 2010 - 7:21 PM
      I was going to say fennel and/or chamomile, but that's based on a gut feel, not any first hand knowledge. I do know that there is a good portion of the population that is allergic to the family of plants chamomile is in, so that might be something to be cautious about.

Wed, March 31, 2010 - 11:00 PM
    Fennel is the primary herb for breastfeeding mothers, for a host of reasons- it aids in milk production/lactation (you'll find it in any boxed teas for breastfeeding moms), and it is also an overall digestive aid. This is what I have learned from the experiences of herbalist/doulas, (one of whom uses an icon of the fennel plant as her logo).. I always suggest Traditional Medicinal brand's Mother's Milk.. Also because it's easier for new mom's to brew a bag of tea than make special preparations every day.
    Because it's an understandably territory to be cautious about introducing extra herbs, I would think that trying more fennel first would be multi-beneficial for mother and child.
    As for giving teas directly to newborns, I don't know how much liquid they would really drink on their own anyway (that didn't come from mama).. beyond that I don't know of much data about it. I would say feeding the mom feeds the child.

Thu, April 1, 2010 - 12:56 AM
      They drink formula out of bottles no problem. Why wouldnt they drink tea?

Im just wondering if a little bit of fennel is safe?

You think fennel and slippery elm is safe?

Thu, April 1, 2010 - 4:17 AM
        i read that catnip is definitly safe for babies. I'm not sure about fennel and camomile...however, i also know that my grandomother used to always give me camomile tea when i was a baby for tummy aches etc.

Thu, April 1, 2010 - 7:04 AM
          catnip and chamomile are traditional for colic, but not recommended to feed directly to young babies because they t slepy and don;t want to nurse as much.

there are problems, some serous and some subtle, with formula, so I sure would not use infant as my standard for safe feedng ractices,; I'll post more on that another time need to get to work here.

the person who said best way to get needed gentle remedies to babies is through mothers milk is right.
          homeopathy is also a safe option.

who else here has been a nursing mother... just wondered about direct experience.

Thu, April 1, 2010 - 7:54 AM
            I think we're better off sticking to giving herbs to the mom.

Anything we ingest affects our milk, some things more than others, even varying between different people.
            I remember whenever I ate spinach when my son was nursing, his normal bright-yellow poop (the poop of a purely breastfed baby) would turn green. It was freaky until I figured out the pattern. My daughter hadn't had that happen!

Certainly if the baby isn't getting real mama milk, s/he's going to have more tummy aches and problems, and giving catnip tea directly will be more useful than not, and less of an upset to the baby's system. Having anything other than mom's milk is an upset, so once that has already happened, small amounts of soothing herbs may as well be a part of it. Too much water, though, can have bad consequences for tiny babies- their electrolyte balance is more easily disturbed.

If a nursing baby is having bellyaches, it's time for mom to look at her diet carefully. Each kid can have a different sensitivity.
            My daughter only reacted when I ate enchiladas (a particular sauce), and my son only reacted to oats. Who would have guessed?
            Coffee, chocolate, onions, broccoli, and dairy are all far more common causes of baby upset...

Recent topics in "Herbal Medicine"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
Help for Heartburn 4 December 6, 2013
DIY pills Pri. Etient 0 February 15, 2013
It Is Sad What Happened To This Group kahuna Lamaku 7 February 14, 2013
Facebook friends Gypsi Star 2 February 13, 2013