Advertisement

Vinegar craving

topic posted Sun, February 19, 2006 - 1:31 AM by  Unsubscribed
Share/Save/Bookmark
My whole life, since I can remember.. 7 years old or so, I have craved vinegar.. strongly.. I eat maybe a liter of vinegar a month

anything jump out?
posted by:
Unsubscribed
Advertisement
  • Re: Vinegar craving

Sun, February 19, 2006 - 9:50 AM
    a few thoughts that jump out

a need to balance PH & acid in the body, vinegar being an source of acetic acid

body's need for potassium

Vinegar reduces the body's insulin response & thus creates lower GI readings
    it assists your body to metabolize fats, sugars, & carbs faster without raising insulin
    thus it is often used in diets to burn calories, creating a feeling of "fuller" longer

it may be your body produces more insulin than needed, thus a vinegar craving

it is also excellent in elimating toxins in body
    • Unsu...

Re: Vinegar craving

Sun, February 19, 2006 - 5:46 PM
      I think you are on to something.. more background that seems to point to insulin / potassium:

- constant salt craving (?)
      - complete aversion to anything sweet (I eat nothing with sugar in it and few naturally sweet things)
      - high intake of stuff high in potassium - tomatoes, potatoes, greens, sour citrus juices
      - leg cramps
      - drink a lot of water
      - sleepy after moderate meals

i've never had weight problems at all, but have had anxiety and jitteriness my whole life
      hm, also intensely crave carbohydrates a lot, not sure what that's about

Sun, February 19, 2006 - 10:31 AM
    Really interesting post - And great info Scot. I have heard that vinegar can also fuel yeast production in the body, and that if you have a yeast imbalance in your body that this will be one of the things you crave. I have never researched that statement and if anyone can shed light on whether or not that is true, I would be most interested.

Sun, February 19, 2006 - 10:45 AM
      Then you should try Apple Cider Vinegar,very healthy.
      Fx

Mon, February 20, 2006 - 12:52 PM
        my mother drinks 1/2 a cup of the stuff a day. she says: you'll feel like crap the first three or four days, but the long term effects are well worth it.
        • It worked for Mrs. Gibson, and she made it to 115

Mon, February 20, 2006 - 6:27 PM
          • Unsu...

Re: It worked for Mrs. Gibson, and she made it to 115

Mon, February 20, 2006 - 10:50 PM

I've never craved vinegar, but I often crave something sour and fruity. My favorites for when this craving hits is either water with lemon squeezed into it, or fresh grapefruit juice.

I always thought it was a craving for vitamin C, but I could be wrong.
            • Unsu...

Mon, February 20, 2006 - 11:20 PM
              That's the weird thing about it, it's really just vinegar.. since I was old enough to know what it was.. my salivary glands used to respond when I would even think about it.. I wonder if it is insulin resistance
              • Unsu...

Mon, February 20, 2006 - 11:28 PM
                i am the same way.

i do have the tendancy to get low on potassium. so i think you are right on the money with that assumption.

my easy fix...oj and 'nanners' (a.k.a. bananas)

some more on potassium:
                www.webmd.com/hw/lab_tests/hw202677.asp

"Potassium (K) in Blood

Test Overview

A potassium test measures the amount of potassium (an electrolyte and mineral) in the blood. Potassium is needed for proper nerve and muscle (including heart) function. It helps regulate the water balance (the amount of fluid inside and surrounding the cells) and electrolyte balance of the body.

Potassium levels in the blood usually vary with sodium levels. When sodium levels increase, potassium levels decrease, and vice versa. Potassium levels also are affected by a hormone called aldosterone, which is produced by the adrenal glands.

Potassium levels can be affected by kidney function, blood pH, the amount of potassium in the diet, hormone levels in the body, excessive vomiting, and taking certain medications (including potassium supplements). Certain cancer therapies that rapidly destroy cancer cells can increase blood levels of potassium.

Many foods are rich in potassium, including scallops, potatoes, figs, bananas, prune juice, orange juice, and squash. A balanced diet generally contains enough potassium for the body's needs. However, potassium is released into the urine by the kidneys, even when the blood potassium level is low. Therefore, blood potassium deficiency can develop quickly if the body is unable to control potassium levels because of a disease or medication.

A potassium level that is too high or too low can be dangerous. Abnormal potassium levels may cause symptoms such as muscle cramps or weakness, nausea, diarrhea, frequent urination, dehydration, low blood pressure, confusion, irritability, paralysis, and changes in heart rhythm.

Other electrolytes, such as sodium, calcium, chloride, magnesium, and phosphate, may be measured in a blood sample at the same time as a blood test for potassium."
                • Vinegar Craving

Thu, September 20, 2007 - 6:49 AM
                  I have ALWAYS had a huge craving for vinegar, especially when I'm not feeling well. My mother always thought it was strange that when I had an upset stomach, I used to either eat loads of pickles or suck on mustard packets when I was a small child. I still do that to this day, but I get the cravings more. I was a runner for many years and always had problems with dehydration and cramps, no matter how much I drank in fluids before a race or workout. In fact, I had a few episodes just a couple of weeks ago with charlie horses in my calves and upper arms (I know odd place to get one and I can guarantee that it hurt far worse in the arm than it did in my leg). Both my mother and I are at least semi-intollerant to either milk or lactose and I usually crave salty things far more than sweet. Recently, too, I've packed on about twenty pounds. I'm guessing this is all probably related.
                  • This is the maximum depth. Additional responses will not be threaded.
                    Unsu...

hey

Thu, September 20, 2007 - 3:36 PM
                    Kombucha tastes very vingery sometimes.

YUM!

Recent topics in "Herbal Medicine"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
Help for Heartburn 4 December 6, 2013
DIY pills Pri. Etient 0 February 15, 2013
It Is Sad What Happened To This Group offlinekahuna Lamaku 7 February 14, 2013
Facebook friends Gypsi Star 2 February 13, 2013