Advertisement

Lung Strengthening

topic posted Sun, October 17, 2010 - 7:37 AM by 
Share/Save/Bookmark
My friend had athsma as a child, and later worked in the coal mines for a while. Now, in his 60s, he has been getting asthma-like symptoms and recurrent bronchitis.

Any ideas of herbs to strengthen his lungs and respiratory system?
posted by:
Advertisement
  • Re: Lung Strengthening

Sun, October 17, 2010 - 10:33 AM
    i was listening to a talk the other day about how effective cordycep mushrooms are - both as a tonic for the lungs and in treating severe lung conditions.

Sun, October 17, 2010 - 10:34 AM
    Hi Maggie,
    Mullein is one of my favorite herbs for strengthening the lungs. I drink it as a long steep infusion. I personally start drinking this infusion on a regular basis when cold and flu season come around. For your friend drinking it daily could be really beneficial. Adding nettle to the mix could help as well. Of course there are other herbs that could be helpful with symptoms but since you asked about strengthening I will stick with nettle and mullein. I suspect others will have suggestions as well.
    Blessings,
    Linda

Sun, October 17, 2010 - 6:13 PM
      mullein is nice, i also think of plantain. it is a great drawing herb, and has a wonderful affinity for the lungs. i decoct or long steep these.
      i replaced my inhaler with plantain juice for a whole season, i deem it a premier asthma herb.
      elecampane is also something to look into. it's a pectoral, great at strengthening the lungs, antispasmodic, high in inulin....
      and then astragalus, it is an adaptogen. if he his getting weaker in his age, getting ill alot, and possible dealing with stress more than he is used to... this could be a great one as well.

Sun, October 17, 2010 - 9:25 PM
        Jasmine EO is the only one I can think of outside of the ones I already mentioned, great stuff by the way,
        Jasmine EO helps one breathe Deeper, and when my shortness of breathe due to allergies and smoking was affecting it was a lifesaver
        also smoking Mullein helps very much open up the lobes of the Lungs
        my friend who had very bad asthma introduced me to this herb and she is now asthma free
        roll it into a paper like a cigarette take a couple puffs and breathe it all the way into the lungs and hold for as long as possible
        I wouldn't finish the whole mullein cigarette only a few times of this is needed
        I would try it 2-3x a week
        more could irritate the lungs
        but afterwards my lungs feel cleaner and more healthy for sure

Mon, October 18, 2010 - 10:31 AM
          tincture of oplopanax horridus (devil's club) has replaced albueterol inhalers for myself and a few other people that have worked with it. it clears up the choking mucusy tightness and is a general adaptogen for the system. i also find for myself that it helps me process the fear that accompanies lung problems (and for me at least often triggers them). a great protective plant, although probably not really found in your bioregion. reishi is also great for the lungs and as an overall tonic...

Thu, October 21, 2010 - 4:24 PM
            I just read that Lovage root is good for the lungs

Tue, November 2, 2010 - 8:37 AM
              I have bronchitis for the 2nd time in my life, now. Not as bad as the first time, and my cold healed quickly but I notice that every time I enter a room that has any dust or other irritant in the air, I get another coughing fit. I can feel EVERYTHING in my bronchia now that they are still infected.
              I have noticed that drinking peppermint tea makes me feel better.I also took zink and vitamin C, and tried to avoid medicine altogether after my usual Chinese cold drug failed miserably on this virus (or whatever this is) , trying to build up more natural resistance. But I would also be grateful for any not-too-exotic ideas (speak, something easily found in the shops) on what else to take to get rid of this more quickly. Is it true that with every bout of bronchitis your lungs suffer more damage?

Tue, November 2, 2010 - 9:05 PM
                I find rose and specifically Jasmine to be very sootheing for the lungs and helps one breathe deeper
                the rose is just a tonic smell for me

Tue, November 2, 2010 - 10:30 PM
                  Rose? Hmmm...I can get rose petals and make tea. I think, they told me pink roses are best for colds?
                  • This is the maximum depth. Additional responses will not be threaded.

Re: Lung Strengthening

Wed, November 3, 2010 - 1:03 AM
                    they probably have vitamin C
                    I think the Rose is a wonder plant
                    their fruit the rose hip is certainly and the oil too not forgetting the wonders of th the flower essenses
                    today I used the leaves, not the petals, for a batheing tea
                    I've heard that all or most fruit bearing plants evolved from the Rose plant

Wed, November 3, 2010 - 4:18 AM
                      Are you saying that the rose eventually morphed into an apple tree, Bu?

Wed, November 3, 2010 - 7:57 AM
                        It soiunds like you are still recovering. I had previously mentioned mullein, which I find to be a wonderful lung strengtthener. Nettle is good as well. Adding marshmallow root could add a soothing quality to the mix. If you truly have an infection then infection fighting herbs would be advised:
                        Elecampane is a powerful lung herb and is often recomended for treating chronic bronchitis.
                        Garlic of course is always helpful when infection is present.
                        Thyme can be made into a tea and can disinfect the resipratory system.
                        Hope that is helpful.
                        Blessings,
                        Linda

Wed, November 3, 2010 - 9:57 AM
                          in what form do you take garlic? raw, cooked, roasted?

Wed, November 3, 2010 - 10:00 AM
                            today I took a long walk in the park, it has stopped raining and got a bit warmer, and I have cooked two wonderful dinners with many different veggies in them (recipes are on my blog), so now I feel much better already. Also had a day off today and slept a lot, went to bed early, bought some ginger and lemon tea bags, and had some wild raspberry tea too.
                            thanks for your help. Anyway, good to know that a second bout of bronchitis does not mean doom...

Wed, November 3, 2010 - 5:34 PM
                              Yes, Mele that's what I heard about Fruit Bearing plants and thei evolution from the Rose Plant
                              makes sense to me because rose is a very powerful plant ally and nutritious, the fruit I'd say a wonderful like goji berries or acai, this is my personal opinion

I'd eat the garlic raw if u were going to take garlic, you could always make a garlick guacamole if u wanted to "eat" it in something or since you live in Japan Mele like raw org. Tofu
                              I'd recommend again since you are under the weather :( to take some rose hip tea....it's very yummy and boosts your immune system with all the quickly absorable vitamin C unlike our citrus friends the lemon and orange :D

get well soon!

Wed, November 3, 2010 - 9:47 PM
                                thank you.
                                However I do not see any problem with lemons and oranges, they have always worked way better for me than rosehip tea ? What means "unlike the lemon"?

Wed, November 3, 2010 - 10:23 PM
                                  lemon and oranges do not ahve easily absorbable vitaminC meaning even though you eat like 1000% of what you need in vitamin C doesn't mean you can actually absorb it
                                  Rose hip is much better but I do like lemons and Oranges

Thu, November 4, 2010 - 4:29 PM
                                Mele, friend, please rest and get well soon.

You had a great very interesting and life-altering trip.. no question in my head that you need to simply rest for a bit as you were exposed to a different culture, lifestyle, beliefs and food and water.

I go with raw garlic also. Wheat grass juic eif you can get it. Golden seal if you need more antibiotics.

I do not know the last word on absorption of vitamins.. bu tI can understand how some may not be absorbed by some people due to different situations.
                                Welcome home..
                                Cathy

Thu, November 4, 2010 - 9:54 PM
                                  I used Oregon Grape Root instead of antibioltics
                                  I believe goldenseal in nearly endangered or "watched"

Fri, November 5, 2010 - 10:33 AM
                                    Goldenseal is high on the United Plant Savers list of endangered plants. Many of the plants on that list are popular and the roots are used. www.unitedplantsavers.org/UpS_A...t.html

Here in the midwest Barberry is our berberine containing plant. These plants are really best for topical application in my experience and not systemic use. Garlic really is a very good choice here and accessible.

A comment on rosehips, fresh roseships, harvest just after the first frost are super high in vitamin C. One of the problems is that much of what you might purchase, is highly processeed, not fresh and even not harvested when the vitamin C is at the height of it's potency. That said, if you can harvest your own and steep them in honey or vinegar to suspend the vitamin c, you will get the maximum benefit.

Blessings,
                                    Linda

Mon, November 8, 2010 - 3:54 PM
                                      how interesting that rose hips have the highest concentration of vitamin c after the first frost. they have been on my mind - even though i don't have any roses around me right now. and we did just have our first frost. hmmm. wonder where i 'll find some rose hips.

also - berberine i believe creates the yellow color - kind of distinct flavor and smell too. i was surprised that here in Appalachia there seems a tradition to ingest berberine plants like goldenseal, yellowroot, oregon grape - whereas elsewhere seems more traditional to stay topical.

Tue, November 9, 2010 - 5:52 AM
                                  >you need to simply rest for a bit as you were exposed to a different culture, lifestyle, beliefs and food and water.

wrong. I go there because I love that culture and life style, belief, and food. The water may be iffy but I drank bottled water.
                                  Lots of people have the same cold like me right now. Climate here is all off balance now too, like in Europe, fluctuating temperatures. Today we had something like a typical spring storm, bringing in warm air, and it is November, not March!
  • Unsu...

Tue, November 9, 2010 - 9:54 AM
    Maggie K, I just remembered another thing one can do for lung strengthening. This is not a plant/herb, so I hope it's ok to write here. Take 10 intentional breaths a day. That's it. Sounds deceptively simple, no? But it's something we tend not to do -- we usually just ignore our breathing unless there is some kind of a problem. So to do this exercise, just do it like a meditation -- think of nothing but your breathing for 10 breaths. Let us know if you try it and if it helps!

Tue, November 9, 2010 - 10:47 AM
      Thanks, smoorefu!

I will certainly pass that on to my friend. And, while I'm at it, I can do it myself, and we can remind each other to do it, too! GREAT idea!!!

BTW, everybody, my friend is feeling much better....thanks for all your suggestions and energies!!!

Tue, November 9, 2010 - 10:58 AM
      I clicked on this thread to add what I had not seen.. and here smooth has offered a similar idea. BREATHE! Consciously and deeply daily. Begin yoga. If the goal is to strengthen lungs , then one must use them with depth!

Tue, November 9, 2010 - 11:02 AM
        Breathing...thanks.
        Linda

Thu, November 11, 2010 - 5:31 PM
          i have asthma and can't do anything vigorous i have been looking for herbs that will help with my breathing and i do not like inhalers...

Thu, November 11, 2010 - 8:16 PM
            I hope the thread here has offered some suggestions. My first two are mullein and nettle infusions daily. Elecampane can help for shorter periods of time as well. In acute episodes very small amounts of lobelia can avert an asthma attack. In addition the food suggestions and suggestion of breathing are worth taking note of.
            Blessings,
            Linda

Tue, November 16, 2010 - 6:38 AM
              Blah, it is back, that bronchitis. I spent the weekend showing the city to a friend, taking him on a VERY long walk, and somehow, when I came home, I felt completely exhausted and unable to think of anything better to do, spent the afternoon in bed.
              Sunday, met friends, went to a party, was fine.
              Monday, worked all day, walked through the rain, felt cold, had an intense craving for pumpkin but no chance to get home early to make any, ate a bit pf pumpkin and other things in a restaurant, and went to a bellydance class at 8.30pm. Walked out of it at 9.40, 20 minutes before the end coz I was bored to death, tired and irritated with the teaching, went home and felt really exhausted. Went to bed early, woke up later in the night, feeling terrible. Had trouble getting up this morning, barely made it to work, did my job while saving energy, went home, spent the afternoon in bed. Got a low fever towards the evening. Still feeling fairly awful.
              Not much of a cough but I feel sore and somewhat congested below the collar bones.

So, this is bronchitis, dragging on and on, returning to you like a faithful, though tiresome friend, and ever time you think, you got rid of it, another cold spell, a walk in the rain, overexertion in a dance class, and here it is again!
              I still have not seen a doctor, because somehow i do not want to aggravate my body any further with antibiotics, ephedrin and what else he might give me.

How do you cure this for good? Could it be psychological? I am rather stressed lately.
              • Unsu...

Tue, November 16, 2010 - 10:54 AM
                I am sorry that you are still struggling with this.

I can only report to you what works for me, which is the following.

Whenever I get a cold of any sort, I have to make sure to *take it seriously*, rest a lot, take cough medicine that is expectorant (I know it's not herbal, sorry, but for me at least I need the power of over-the-counter expectorants), drink hot teas and hot soups as hot as I can stand, eat raw garlic if I can stand it, and REST A LOT. If I skimp on any of these measures, or go back to my regular activity level before I am completely well, I will actually be sick LONGER. So I have learned to really baby myself.

I hope this helps.

Tue, November 16, 2010 - 1:10 PM
                  Elderberry flower or berry and rose hips herbal infusion, or tea that is stepped, preferably with a lid for at least 15 mins
                  I just always leave the stuff in there and leave it alone for an hour or until it cools down
                  and of course you can use it again until the color is all gone
                  Also anything for the throat I always like to chew on Licorice root, also really good for loosening phlem especially in the lungs so you can cough and spit it out....heehee don't swallow it or you can get more sick again
                  when you feel better I'd start taking nourishing foods and plants
                  I would stay away from any fried oils even stir fried oils and go more on a raw diet and maybe some soups
                  I'd avoid at all costs, refined sugars, refined flours, Dairy and Soy.
                  And surround yourself with natural incense, completely natural and free of any chemical additive
                  as it can kill germs in the sinus', throat, lungs, bedroom air and sheets.
                  You can do aromatherapy too but I find natural incense better.

for the asthma I'd use Mullein as a smoke, roll into a cigarette and puff 2-3 times and hold the smoke deep into the lungs
                  my friend that had asthma told me about this and she rarely ever gets attacks now
                  and to deepen the breath I would rub on yourself some Jasmine Essential oil
                  I like to dab a little on the tip of my nose, my chest like vapor rub and wrists and sometimes the collar of my clothes that I'm wearing like today :D
                  The real Jasmine flowers from the plant also work this way so you may want to get a Jasmine Plant
                  I used to smoke a lot and I developed a bad case of shortness of breathe and jasmine was the only thing that worked to heal that for me
                  Natural Incense may also work and any activity that exercising your sense of smell with natural products

I can't stress the importance that your fragrances be of natural sources. Chemical sources can make you develop allergic reactions and asthma lol and no that glade gardenia isn't a natural scent lol

Tue, November 16, 2010 - 2:38 PM
                it is not psychological.

it takes tiem with bronchitis.

hot soups, garlic, greens fresh in moderation, NO processed foods, rest and pure water.
                You may try golden seal for antibiotic effect, but bronchitis has a coarryover effect of being tired and symptoms which resurface which seem to be more flu type than germs which antibiotics kill.

If coughing, in US we can buy Umchka.. it has elderberry extract and mor ein it and is advertised to reduce cold and flus by 1/4 - 1/3.

Wed, November 17, 2010 - 12:27 AM
                  I know herbalist keep saying elderberry "reduces the length of a sickness" like a cold or flu but I just have to disagree I think it completely gets rid of it instantly
                  oh an goldenseal is not threatened or endangered I believe though is over harvested another alternative to antibiotics or an anti-bacterial plant is oregon grape root it is also that yellow stuff when made into an herbal infusion

Wed, November 17, 2010 - 2:53 AM
                    while goldenseal has just been taken off the endangered species list (like this month) you will be hard pressed to find it in the wild - and if you do - it should stay wild and protected by people who love the plant. here in western north carolina a survey has been going around amongst herbalists and botanists and plant enthusiasts to see if they have seen goldenseal in the wild - and very few people - mostly only old timers who know where they have been safeguarding their patches. that said - it is not a difficult plant to cultivate in general and in the wild - it just takes time to grow the roots.

berberine is the yellow - and it does seem like there is always a local choice or several for a berberine containing herb. could be its own topic - what berberine plant grows near you? like in southern california - the creosote bush has berberine - there in the desert - and her in the moist woodlands yellowroot has berberine.

there is like a fame status phenomena for herbs that happens - and it is interesting as i get to know the herbs better and watch them with people - how a plant that seems to have the same actions and even active constituents will be better suited for one person than another - that the RIGHT HERB is a subtle and amazing experience when it is a match.

i wish elderberry worked for me that way - it just doesn't seem to have that effect - but i know some people who do have wonderful results with elderberry kicking their flu. goes back to the subtle differences of people and plants and dis-ease.

another lung strengthener, if anyone is still reading, wood ear mushrooms. was saying to a friend how i have been making herb pouches for stews and soups. he felt wood ear would be a great addition for the fall months. that it is a lung strengthener. i haven't tried it yet.

Thu, November 18, 2010 - 11:16 PM
                      Thanks Zip for sharing. Was Goldenseal taken off the UPS endangered list? If so, that is surprising. I tried to look on their website, but for some reason I can't get it to come up.

In anwser to your question, The berberine containing plant in the midwest, or at least the most abundant one is barberry. I utlize this plant often and have found it to be as effective as oregon grape which was my local berberine containing plant when I lived in the pacific northwest.

As for Goldenseal, it is a plant that has been exploited on many levels, both in the commercial market and through the destruction of haibitat. It is so true that plants have their subtle energies and are not a one size fits all medicine. Goldenseal, is misused often and it is wise to have more than one option when choosing a plant for healing. It makes for a much more flexible and versatile herbalist. I would not say that I would never again use goldenseal, but it is not the first plant I go to, and it really is only a plant I utlize for topical application-and rarely if ever. I grow it and feel protective of it, leaving it to be in the back of our lot, where it mostly seems to want to be left along. Anytime we use the root of a fragile woodland plant for medicine I would consider it endangered. It is easy to over harvest, particularly when a plant becomes popular on the market. I am not always convinced that monocrop growing of these plants is the anwser either, as this is not ultimately sustainable. The most sustainable approach to plant medicine is:
                      -to keep our bodies healthy and strong, through good food, plenty of excercise and a clean environment...thus we would not turn to plants as often for healing and they would be there when we really need them.
                      Blessings,
                      Linda

Fri, November 19, 2010 - 2:36 PM
                        Linda - i am sure it is still on the UPS list. It is the endangered plant list for the USA - i was referring to. although i need to double check and make sure it is usa and not north carolina.

Fri, November 19, 2010 - 5:50 AM
    This isn't an "herbal" thing, but a friend suggested that those who have recurring respiratory problems may be trying to "cry" .... many of us are taught not to cry, but I think it is a way that our body, soul, and spirit cleanse themselves. "Crying" can be healing.....

Fri, November 19, 2010 - 8:40 AM
      Sure, tears stuck in the throat tighten up your throat which can lower your immunity, due to diminished blood flow.
      Well, I finally caved in and went to the doctor today, after almost a month of being sick, with relapses into bronchitis. He gave me an antibiotic and some drug to loosen phlegm, and after a couple of hours I felt like I can finally take a deep easy breath again which fills the bronchia below my collar bones which were all tense, sore and congested before.
      But climbing stairs 5 hours later, after smoking a sheesha, made my heart beat real fast. My friend said, I should spend the weekend in bed and rest while taking these drugs, for them to work properly. Do you think, that is necessary?

Fri, November 19, 2010 - 12:54 PM
        Whether you are taking drugs or not, if you are as sick as you describe I would stay in bed for a period of time. In September I was quite sick with what I suspect was the flu...I was working a big job for our business and much to my frustration just had to go home and stay in bed. My partner who also had this illness did not do this and was sick for a much longer period of time than I was. So ultimately your choice...
        Blessings,
        Linda

Fri, November 19, 2010 - 2:28 PM
          you have to have planned rest. I got bronchitis after losign my voice when I was first teachign first grade and I didn't get well very quickly. I kep tworking and then collapsed almost fo rChristmas vacation. I recovered after february. Lung and bronchial infections take time and since they are not as visible as lesions and we can feel like we can just push ourselves we do and in so doing w ehurt our length of time being sick. I had the additional complication that once you have had this a lengthy time your ability to fight it off again is reduced and you are sick again for a longer time. dang from 1996, then 2004 what a whammo when it came back.

Bed rest with easy reading and colored pencils drawings, lots of nutritional fluids and light meals. Anything spiritual and emotional you feel you need and you will get better faster.
          Go fo rit good friend.

Sat, November 27, 2010 - 11:10 PM
            the thing is why would anyone take drugs and herbs together? it doesnt mix i dont get why some ppl who use herbs go back to taking over the counter stuff saying well that works for me, then stick to taking the drugs! i asked an herbalist friend she said it doesnt mix its the stupidest thing ppl can say is that they can take herbs and the drugs at the same time, they need to ask an naturopathic, why do they keep supporting the fda? thats who's paycheck ur supporting! thats what she said

Sun, November 28, 2010 - 6:23 AM
              Medication produced from a combination of herbal and chemical components are very common. Actually, a lot of drugs are produced from plants, e.g. Aspirin, Penicillin... It mixes perfectly well and works, too.
              What do you mean, "supporting the paycheck of the FDA"? Maybe your friend is a naturopath hard up for money?

Fri, December 3, 2010 - 11:05 AM
                the only non herbal drugs I ever take are for allergies
                I mean I take alternatives too but for acute symptoms it's the only thing that will help me

Your body can have a toxic overload in it and perhaps in the lungs
                a cleanse could be a good idea when you feel ready
                also getting anything to verbalize that you have been suppressing might help

there have been times when certain drugs and herbs should not be taken together but it is few and more rare
                usually the main one is to take care of the Liver and sometimes Kidneys
                for the Liver it would be dandelion root and Milk Thistle

I have had a bout of Lung issues recently too
                from years of smoking and Allergies
                I put some Jasmine essential Oil on my Lung 1 points and that helped very much
                I was inspired by "Raindrop" method for this idea
                It has been the only thing to really help my Lung function better

Fri, December 3, 2010 - 6:56 PM
                  I put some Jasmine essential Oil on my Lung 1 points and that helped very much
                  I was inspired by "Raindrop" method for this idea

more details, please! Where is that Lung 1 point? And what is the raindrop method?

Tue, December 14, 2010 - 9:23 PM
                    Lung 1 is the first Lung Meridian point of the Chinese Acupuncture or acupressure philosophies and theoretical practices. Lung one is the under side of the clavical bone closest to the center of the body. the Raindrop method is an essentail oil type of holistic bodywork where you drop essentail oils on the body and let them absorb, i hear usually on the spine. The jasmine essentail oil is the only thing that really helps my lungs breathe more comfortably when I put it on my Lung 1 point. I might do the entire meridian when I get a chance to pamper myself.

I'm not sure what that person is having a fit about many people use herbs and pills together only certain herbs and pills don't mix and herbal therapy can be used as a supplement to your routine the FDA is making a killing off the Cancer industry

Sun, December 12, 2010 - 9:58 PM
                no, she isnt hard up for money. she went to apollo college and she told me lots of things i didnt know about the fda. it is supporting their paychecks. i really dont understand these groups. everybody likes taking herbs and wants to take over the counter crap, it doesnt work that way. dont run ur mouth about someone u dont know, i know her very well. she isnt one of those ppl who are hard up for money and wants to make money off the weak.

all im saying is do ur research b4 u blab. go read mercola.com and naturalnews.com great info. they all said the samething in a way that these drugs are supporting the fda's paychecks. i also seen a documentary about the drugs and fda how its all about money, keep pushing the pills in ppl's mouths and make profit of it. come on, do the research everybody knows that. a crook is a crook. i think mercola had an article on aspirin and why you shouldnt take it you should check it out.

Sun, December 19, 2010 - 8:15 PM
    While making an aged large variety ingredient list Incense inspired by the Egyptian Kyphi, I found that it had opened blockages in my Lung Lobes I had not been able to open otherwise
    I feel that it might be the myrrh though I only used a small amount of EO
    it could've been the mixture of ingredients too and the Bee Pollen but my lungs really had been healed from my Kyphi
    waiting for them to dry until i can burn them :D