Advertisement

Scraping my car in uk.

topic posted Wed, April 15, 2009 - 10:51 AM by  Lynne
Share/Save/Bookmark
My cars failed its mot & will cost too much to weld, so I thought of pulling it to pieces, a friend will do this & selling the parts on e-bay. As I have just had new parts on the car & apart from serious under-chassis welding its a good car.
When I looked on the DVLA web-site as to notifaction of scraping of vehicles..it says that you have to go to a listed car scraper & get a COD licence & send that to DVLA.
So does this mean I cannot scrap it myself, of course on private land?
posted by:
Lynne
United Kingdom
Advertisement
  • Re: Scraping my car in uk.

Wed, April 15, 2009 - 12:54 PM
    UK and US laws may be wildly different in this regard...

Here in the States you would have to get a Certificate of Destruction (I'm assuming that the same as the COD you referrenced) to replace the Title, which would no longer be valid. It seems like you ought to be able to get the Certificate at the same gov't agency that you get titles from?

Be careful about environmental issues related to scrapping. You may have to take precautions for keeping vehicle fluids from contaminating the groundwater. If the car has air conditioning you might have to get the refrigerant removed, too.

You might be able to find a "back door" approach, where you disassemble the parts you want to sell and make a few bucks on them, and then put a big "For Sale As-Is" sign on whatever is left. Or tow the remains to a junkyard and ask what they'll give you for it. In any case, it's likely that after selling parts on E-bay you'll have quite a bit of car leftover and you'll have to figure out how to dispose of that.
  • Re: Scraping my car in uk.

Thu, April 16, 2009 - 8:11 AM
    Reality check on the ebay plan. Not many plain old car parts get sold on ebay, classic stuff yes. only locals will be interested in coming to get them, because shipping is to much on bulky items. I would just sell it to a junk yard, and/or advertise them locally. Do you have a local Crags list, or similar internet listing ( local) that you can post them on ?
    • Re: Scrapping my car in uk.

Thu, April 16, 2009 - 11:22 AM
      In the appalachians, we are free to scrap what ever we want and expected to keep a few dead cars, trucks and maybe a tractor in every back yard, and junker appliances on our front porch if we have one. Cars come here to die from all over the country, and evidently this has been going on for quite some time.

We have a good number in them at the little community i live. I know my landlady has been selling an old volvo by the part on craig's list and ebay and doing better at it than she'd thought she would.

Recent topics in "Raw Wisdom"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
my where abouts ૐ Rev Ro 5 September 1, 2014
Wake up everyone! ENIAD 40 February 6, 2014
Social class Unsubscribed 3 January 16, 2014
Climate Collapse-Foolish Humans Unsubscribed 127 December 26, 2013