Advertisement

Small, open sores

topic posted Sat, February 18, 2006 - 11:15 PM by  rebeccalee
Share/Save/Bookmark
My daughter found a tiny kitten in terrible shape and brought it home. This baby had open sores around her neck. The kitten was immediately adopted by one of her friends and left our house. She's doing great now...her name is October. Now my senior cat has them...mostly around her neck but also on other parts of her body. To make the problem worse, she's been without her special kidney food(available only thru the vet) because we did not have the money in January(it's $36 for 18 lbs.). This is the first time she has been without her special food and though she is now back on it, she looks really bad...her hair, I describe as like "old' Yoda's and she's lost weight, I can tell. I think these critters are eating her up alive because her immune system is really weak. I don't know what to do...I can't take her to the vet...I truly have NO money. My daughter and I live on my SSI and the cats eat and get their litter before we eat. Most of the time "we" do without. Not saying this for the sake of sympathy, just want you all to know I seriously cannot afford to do anything that costs money and that I really need your help. Do any of you know what these things could be and is there something I can do, myself, to get rid of them? I am just sick about this. Her name is Mikie, she's a short-haired gray and she'll be 16 on April 15th. My daughter has had her since she was three and she's our "pretty, pretty princess". We love her so.
posted by:
rebeccalee
California
Advertisement
  • Unsu...

is it fleas? or ringworm? whatever it is it was contracted from the little kitten maybe? it is true that fighting those wounds brings down their immune systems. so it's hard for them to stay on top of stuff. if it's fleas they are sucking her anemic. i don't have any solutions. maybe someone here does?
    • Unsu...

Do you have a vet clinic in your area that provides services at a lower cost? A town about thirty minutes from mine does that. That would be an option. Sounds like fleas to me. Does she wear a flea collar? Those are 97 cents at Wal-Mart and $1.00 at Dollar General. Flea shampoos at Wal-Mart aren't that expensive either, around $3.00 for a bottle. Just try not to get any on the open sores though. Shampoo below the area where the sores are and that should kill any existing fleas and I would't put the flea collar on until the sores begin to heal so as to not irritate the skin any more. Also, wash her bedding and vacuum your carpet, baseboards and furniture. Be sure to throw the vacuum bag out in the trash to prevent new flea eggs from hatching! I have six cats and at one time they were all inside my home and had a BIG problem with fleas so hope this helps some! If the sores don't get better or go away I would try and save up some money and take her to the vet. Good luck!!!
      • Thank you both for your ideas. I suppose, first of all, I have to take care of the fleas themselves. That's a tall order. I do have six indoor cats at the moment(I have two old ones, two young ones, brothers I rescued last year, one of which was born with teeny, undeveloped kidneys and is special needs, and two recent rescues. I am disabled with little strength or energy most of the time, so the place is very, uh, dusty. I guess the fleas love it there. You see, the other cats scratch, indicating that they are being bothered too, but they don't have sores. Poor Mikie is the only one. I was hoping that someone could tell me of some home remedy that I could use to treat her and rid her of her sores. I am really afraid of commercial products and their toxicity, espescially on such an old and fragile animal.
        • One of my cats is allergic to fleas, and what your cat has doesn't sound like fleas to me, though Alaric will scratch himself bloody and pull out his fur. Usually, though, he starts on his rear legs.

I would see if I could find a low cost or free clinic in the area, and explain your problem to the veterinary staff on the phone. I know that many vets will see someone who has financial problems and is TRYING to care for pets at a reduced rate, or even free.

A flea bath might help, no matter what it is, and don't put a flea collar on him until the sores on his neck close. He could be poisoned by the toxins in the collar. Open sores are an invitation for toxins to go directly into the blood stream.

I sympathize with your struggle with housekeeping. I have a depressive disorder myself. But see if you can do one really good vacuuming and get the bag outside into the garbage. It really will help. A lot of pests love living in carpets.

Domina
  • Mikie is healing wonderfully, all on her own. Or, possibly it has alot to do with the extra love and attention we have been giving her. She got pretty bad, lost alot of weight, scratched her fur all off here and there on her neck, her fur, in general, thinning out and losing it's healthy sheen. But now, everything seems on the mend. No more sores at all, the hair filling back in and she's feeling more substantial. Just in time for her 16th birthday, April 15th.
  • I have recently had a similiar problem, my neighbors found 3 small (3 week old) orphan kittens, and I took them in. They had missing patches of hair all over, the vet diagnosed this as ringworm (which is a fungus similiar to athlete's foot fungus). I got anti fungal shampoo and topical medication (which is 2% miconizole), and it took several weeks to cure the kittens of the ringworm. During this time, I caught the ringworm, (sores on wrists), and my 18 year old cat had sores on his neck also. I found out that the treatment, (the 2% miconizole) is available in the drug store (cheap - ) and it comes in cream, powder and shampoo there also. So you don't need an expensive vet bill for this. Just check the ointments in the Athlete's foot area, look for the words "for ringworm" on the label.
  • You know, there are places to apply for help with Vet bills...check the links on the right side...

blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-T53...37UUm6_E-

You might call Actors and Others for Animals and they might help immediately.

Some friends of mine use this stuff called Nu-Stock on their animals for ringworm, mange...Not sure how safe it would be on your cat, tho...

Recent topics in "Senior Cats Forum"