Advertisement

Social networks - what do you CURRENTLY think?

topic posted Fri, August 26, 2011 - 10:47 PM by  Shira
Share/Save/Bookmark
We've talked about this before, but it was many months ago, and in the Internet things are ALWAYS changing!

Which social networks do you CURRENTLY post your own updates on? Which do you look at to see who else has recently updated?

I personally am the most active on facebook, twitter, Google+, tribe.net, and bhuz. I'm less active on bellydanceforums.net. I rarely look at myspace any more because I got sick of the bugs.

I've never used linked in, so I don't know whether I would like it or not. I detest tagged - tried it, didn't like it AT ALL.

I've done a little bit with LiveJournal. I find its user interface for following other people rather confusing, but there are some things I like about it.

I like Library Thing, but in my experience there aren't many belly dancers on it. Those who have tried it haven't been very active.

And what's YOUR social networking story?
posted by:
Shira
Iowa
Advertisement
  • Re: Social networks - what do you CURRENTLY think?

Sat, August 27, 2011 - 12:55 AM
    Hi Shira, I use Twitter (zina_berry) and Facebook (Zina Dance). My website (zinadance.com) posts are linked to my Twitter account, which link to both my Facebook page and profile. Like you, I've not used myspace for ages; don't use Linkedin or any other.

I tend to have facebook on all the time here at home.

Sat, August 27, 2011 - 10:30 AM
      My social networking is woefully inadequate. I like tribe, but the local dancers have all but stopped using it. So far, I am mostly using facebook to keep tabs on my son who is off at college. : ) I haven't taken the time to figure out how to use it well, including how to limit who and what is on my wall. Officially it is my husband's wall, as we sort of share it till I get things figured out and get my own set up. (Where is that college student when you need him?) Things change so fast tn this arena (and I am such a techno-turtle) that I am a bit afraid that by the time I figure out facebook, everyone will be doing something else!
  • I have still never found anything better than tribe for dialogue, but even it has had its shortcomings and is forever on the verge of disappearing, it seems. I have found it to be the best to really get to know people, discuss ideas, and network.

I like Facebook for socializing with friends better than business networking. I am on it the most for sure.

Twitter I hardly ever use. I feel like I could do more with it, but just don't feel it is quite what I seek.

Google + is just a test platform right now, I feel, but am interested in its potential.
    • For me Facebook is best for keeping up with my friends and events. Unfortunately it is hard to have group discussions. Tribe is much better for that in my opinion. I am also on a couple of other sites but rarely use them. Almost forgot I have a MySpace account....wonder if I can remember how to get into it?!
  • I have ZERO interest in Google+ thanks to their ridiculous stance on the whole "real name" issue. I have an account with them, but didn't like the interface so I haven't used it. Now, I find out that if they don't like the fact that I'm not using my "real name" they can cancel even my gmail or google documents account because of it. I call BS.

Some months ago, I got my facebook account hacked, and locked down. I had to send them a picture of my driver's license. I told them in the email that I wanted to use the name I'm using on FB and not that which is on my driver's license. They were FINE with it, and reinstated my fb account without a week.

Tribe I love, but it's never going to be what it was in 2005 before the last big crash. Bhuz and OD are my daily dose of dance, but I connect with most of my friends and family on FB.
    • The good thing about Google + is their dilligence with personal ownership. Any pictures, content, info you post is YOURS and not theirs. Unlike FB who claims it is all theirs and can be used any way they like.
      • I'm curious how long this policy will last, once the thing is officially out of beta and into the mass market. Assuming it does ever get there.
        • Shay, are you sure about that? You may want to read this blog post: photofocus.com/2011/07/06...ou-sign-up/

Part of Google+ TOS:

“By submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services.”

“You agree that this license includes a right for Google to make such Content available to other companies, organizations or individuals with whom Google has relationships for the provision of syndicated services, and to use such Content in connection with the provision of those services.”

Sun, August 28, 2011 - 11:34 AM
    As you can see, I'm still on Tribe. I'm subscribed to over 40 Tribe, but this one and the Business of Bellydance one are the only ones that are active. I like the format for discussion on Tribe better than the others, so I hate to see it dying for that reason.

My bellydance duet still has a Myspace page. Although we rarely use it, we're still getting friend request from other bellydancers. So maybe others are still active. But I feel like we need to make a decision on what to do with it (kill it or use it somehow.) If people have suggestions on what Myspace is still good for, I'm all ears.

I have a personal Facebook account and one for my duet. I like them both. The personal one is great for staying connected to friends and family across the country. Our duet page has been great for advertising our gigs, keeping our fan base active and growing, and fundraising for our summer program.

Read Bhuz almost daily, and post occasionally. About once or twice a week I might check out the forums at Orientaldance. com, but it seems pretty dead most of the time.

I'm on Twitter, but only use it two or three times a week and it's usually to repost an article.

I've found Linkin to be very useful in terms of keeping me connected to my professional contacts. I've gotten one or two good job leads through it.

I used to be on LiveJournal but I stopped because I felt that it was getting too personal to have out on the internet, even if it's invite only. I believe that if it's online, in any shape form or fashion, it's public. So I keep my journaling to pen and paper.

I refuse to even think about Google+ I just don't have the time to devote to anymore online efforts. A girl's gotta pay the bills, eat and dance every once in a while. And if I'm forced to joined because it's where my professional or personal contacts have drifted, I will have to give up one of the others for the sake of time. That's my rule.

Even now, I'm thinking about cutting back. I have three email addresses to check in addition to all of this online madness. A girl just doesn't have the time for it all.

Tammy
  • I have facebook, both a personal page and a fan page (I need to update the fan page more often). I have twitter, but it's a personal account with a handle that's not linked to me in any way professionally. I don't use myspace anymore. I have a youtube page that I need to update more often. I have at five to ten performances I need to upload.

I'm considering Google+, I don't use my bhuz account ever, love tribe, wouldn't use LinkedIn for belly dance, but am considering using it for my photography.

Haven't used Live Journal in years, have a Word Press blog I want to update more often, but haven't for a while. My blog is a cross-section of everything I do (belly dance, photography, yoga, silk dyeing, etc.) and I want to get in the habit up updating it 2-3 times a week or at least once a week.
  • Unsu...

Google+ had a lot of potential, but so far I am not happy. I am not happy with their name policy and with the user policy stated below. I find it really creepy that people can add me to their circles without me allowing them to. The control over the "circles" could be nice, but since so far they are just doing everything Facebook did, I have no confidence that they will be much different in that regard.

I have an account there but I have not used it at all... I sometimes go in to see who has added me, and to decide whether or not I want to add them, but I haven't posted anything.

I dislike a lot of things about Facebook, but at least I am used to it, and a lot of my friends are there so I maintain it to interact with people, but I am careful about what I post.

I like tribe, bhuz, and orientaldancer.net but use them all as forums of discussion and not really so much for the social networking aspect.

Sat, September 10, 2011 - 6:18 AM
    I joined facebook because my real life (non dance) friends were joining. I never did much on MySpace and I am on Google+ and LinkedIn but haven't checked either one in weeks (maybe months).

I really prefer Tribe for chat, but it seems that few tribes are really active.

Facebook really isn't that terrible. I like the events feature. My real life friends, family and local belly dancers all use it to stay in touch. But the true power of facebook shows up in animal rescue work, we can network with people across the country in just minutes.

I read a lot on fb, but I am really careful about what I post.

Recent topics in "Belly Dancing - the Shira.net Tribe"