Advertisement

Nostril piercing - scar tissue?

topic posted Tue, September 25, 2007 - 10:21 AM by  Amber
Share/Save/Bookmark
I got my nostril pierced almost three weeks ago (which I do know is nowhere near the allotted healing time, believe me!) and within the last few days a bump right next to the piercing has developed. It's about the same size as the stud and is a reddish/purplish color. It does not itch or hurt on its own but it somewhat tender when I touch it - which I try not to do because I also know that I'm not supposed to mess with the piercing! My first thought is that this is scar tissue - am I right? Is this bump, whatever it is, simply part of the healing process, or is it an abnormality I need to show my piercer? Will sea salt soaks help it go away?

I guess I'm just looking for a little advice as to exactly what this bump is and how - if - I can help it go away. Thanks for your help. :)
posted by:
Amber
Portland
Advertisement
  • Unsu...

Re: Nostril piercing - scar tissue?

Tue, September 25, 2007 - 10:29 AM
    I developed the dreaded bump. Nope, mine was not scar tissue, it was just inflammation from the piercing. I babied it and kept up the sea salt soaks faithfully. I also used Hibicleanse to cleanse the area every few days. Still had the bump. Then one night while I was dancing at a hafla somebody elbowed me in the nose. Ouch! Hurt like heck. Bled a little bit. Woke up the next morning and it had bled/drained and the bump was pretty much gone. Went to see my piercer about a week or so later for my first jewelry change (since it looked much better by then), explained the whole story to her, and she said if I had come in, she could have taken the jewelry out and that would have probably made it drain. Haven't had any issues with it since then. You might want to see your piercer. They should be able to give you some relief and/or advice.
  • Unsu...

Tue, September 25, 2007 - 10:34 AM
    It also might be a keloid- I had one on my button the first time I had it pierced many years ago. My piercer had told me to ground up an uncoated aspirin and mix it with a drop or 2 of water to make a paste. Pack it onto the bump/piercing and give it 20 minutes before washing it odd. It should suck out anything bad.

Good luck!
    • Re: Nostril piercing - scar tissue?

Tue, September 25, 2007 - 11:52 AM
      My daughter had the bump on her nose piercing and she just made a little paste of purified water and the cleansing salt and put it on.
      It went away fine.

Tue, September 25, 2007 - 12:26 PM
        Mine did the same thing but it happened about a week out. Just a little skin break down from some swelling and the stud putting pressure on the area. I just cleaned it extra good with the saline solution and the problem went away. Haven't had an issue since.
  • Unsu...

Tue, September 25, 2007 - 2:21 PM
    Aim yourself at my "ID your bump" thread, here: tribes.tribe.net/tattooedp...f2f9afd5ca

It probably isn't a keloid. It's probably minor irritation/infection, especially if it has a reddish-purple color. Be gentle and take care of your piercing as you were instructed by your piercer. Don't fiddle with it or put dirty hands on it, and be careful not to catch it on anything (hard, I know, it just happens).

Fri, September 28, 2007 - 12:11 PM
    Thanks for the help, everyone. I also went and talked to my piercer who told me to just take it out and let the bump heal. I decided I wanted to try babying it for a bit to see if it wouldn't just go away on its own before I took out my pretty piercing! Unfortunately, I ended up taking out the screw last night. :( I had pulled it out a little ways in order to really clean things out under the stud, but I had pulled it out a little too far, and it was too painful to push back in, so I just took it all the way out. It was probably stupid of me to have pulled it out even a little bit, but it's done now. I am babying the bump like crazy and it seems to have gone down a little bit. My piercer said he'd give me a deal on re-piercing once the bump is healed, so I guess that's what I'm going to have to do. Major bummer but, as always, life goes on! Thanks again for the advice.

Recent topics in "Tattooed & Pierced Belly Dancers"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
Sigil Ink Evie a.k.a. ... 0 July 26, 2012
New Un-worn Gauges and something special Tash 0 June 9, 2011
Piercing question Vicky 5 March 15, 2011
Minneapolis area tattooists? Akasha 0 March 11, 2011