Advertisement

what cream do you use after a tattoo

topic posted Wed, June 13, 2007 - 3:42 PM by  Rozie
Share/Save/Bookmark
It's been over 10 years since my last tattoo when I was told to put Preparation H on it (pile ointment).
Now they say Nivea hand cream, but my mate said Bepanthan (nappy rash cream) and I've used both. Although my child has Better Botty Balm for her nappy rash which is a totally natural cream so didn't know whether to stick some of that on. Had it done 2 days ago and still really swollen and sore.
I think he was quite heavy handed - proper biker bloke. When I asked how long it would take to do he said 'all f**kin afternoon if this bas**d phone doesn't stop f**kin ringing!!!!!!!!!!
charming!!!!
xxx
posted by:
Rozie
United Kingdom
Advertisement
  • Unsu...

They told me to use A&D Ointment on the last 2 I got, but it has lanolin in it, which I found out I'm highly allergic to after I started using it. Itched like a mother f*@ker for a week or more. Eucerin works really well.
    • Unsu...

It's funny -- my artist very specifically said NOT to use Eucerin. She said original formula Curel, Jergens or Vaseline Intensive Care... And it's damned near impossible to find "Original Formula" anything. I've just picked up a bottle of unscented Curel "continuous comfort" -- and I'm tempted to drop by the store today and make sure that's okay before I start using it.

(Hey, it's my first tattoo in nearly 15 years, and the artist who did that one -- which is covered by the new one -- told me to use Neosporin for 3 days. As far as I remember, he didn't specify what I should use after that.)
  • Unsu...

Tattoo Goo is the best. Second to that, unscented Curel lotion.
    • the tattoo goo site is really good thank you.
      Obviously I haven't time to order it, but I have put on moistureisor from LUSH and Better Botty Balm which is all natural - as well as shea butter and bepanthen - so it is beginning to get alittle less angry now.
      xxxxxxx
      • Lush made mine sore - cocoa butter's always worked for me. Your leaves are gorgeous - I want mine done!!! Pain? Out of 10?
        • Hey ladies! I've been getting tattooed for 16 years now, and I've tried just about everything available...I found that for me, A&D caused a lot of oozing and pulled out a lot of the color...for the past 10 years, I've used straight up Dial soap to clean and Lubriderm to moisturize...it keeps the tat from scabbing and doesn't pull out color...not to mention that A&D can break you out with too much use...
          Peace and Jah blessings!!!
          • oozing! Me too! I was wondering about that today . . I'd look down and see slight drippage with ink in it!! I was freaking out! My tat has also been pretty pissed and my ankle quite swollen. As soon as I got home from work, I washed it with dial a few times and it felt so much better. I have Lubriderm Sensitive Skin which is lanolin, fragrance and blah blah free this evening and its much happier now. Poor baby's butts! if it affects their rashes like it does a tat..

I think maybe the difference is the A&D over the counter vs. the sample A&D Jed, my tat artist, gave to me when I got my outline put on cuz I didn't have that problem with my outline. Or do you think its cuz its more area and color ? eek!

I'm glad I stopped using it tonight! my colors are too purdy to loose.

Bad A&D :(
  • I use A&D oinment for two days after the getting the tattoo, and then after that I use a vaseline lotion that has aloe in it. Sounds wierd, but it's really light, doesn't smell funny, and of course has aloe in it. So it soothes my itchin' skin for a bit.
    • I use ocean potion... it's basically just a really really good moisturising lotion. They give it to me free (and they sell it ) at the tattoo studio.
      • I hate tattoo goo.

I had many hours of work done on my hip over several sessions. They kept giving me the little pots of tattoo goo waxy shite every time. I find that, IMHO, it doesn't spread well (even after it's heated) and the consistency is such that it doesn't do much except form a sticky film over the tattoo and attract lint and dirt. It's sort of like spreading hair wax over an open wound and just letting it sit there. Perhaps because mine was such a large surface area my experience was not positive. It only served to attract dirt and nasties to a place that should be kept clean while healing.

I use unscented Lubriderm for sensitive skin. No alpha hydroxy, no dye, no scent. It goes on nicely, sinks into the skin well, and doesn't leave an icky film on my healing skin.

For itchiness, i use witch hazel tincture.
        • Unsu...

i like tattoo goo lotion but had trouble finding it. i switched to aquaphor. i only use this stuff for a few days then i start using my normal lotions/creams.
          • Unsu...

If you can't find Tattoo Goo, look for Burt's Bees Hand Salve. Except for the cocoa butter, they're the same ingredients.
            I get the Burt's Bees and a stick of cocoa butter at the drugstore, and one of those little empty travel containers they sell. I melt the cocoa butter and mix in the Burt's Bees Salve and have homemade Tattoo Goo.
            I love it.
            My artist told me to use Aquaphor, but it was making my skin very red and blobs of ink were coming to the surface. Plus, lots of websites say to never use petroleum-based products on a tattoo, which is what Aquaphor is (petroleum blocks pores).....so I went back to all-natural Burts Bees and cocoa butter! The redness went down right away.
  • Unsu...

I've been a good girl and using my unscented lotion religiously, and I am mostly healed after a week and a half, but there are still a few "angry" bits --- any thoughts on what to use there? Is this where the PrepH comes in?
    • I use Aveeno. It has been the best by far. A&D was ok, but a little greasy. I have had the best results with Aveeno. Also, I wash with Dr. Bronners castile soap (unscented). I wash three times a day for the first week, then twice a day for the second week. Usually by the end of the second week my tattoo is looking lovely.

"Angry bits"... Not sure what you mean by that. If it is still looking cornflakey, then gently wash the area more than twice a day with Dr. Bronners. Moisturize like mad, and let the air get to it if you can.

If it is puffy and upraised, you may have a bit of an allergy to the ink, or even an allergy to whatever soap or moisturizer you are using. For allergies to the ink, I would say see a doctor for a prescription cream.

I would never ever use Preperation H on my tattoo.
      • Unsu...

"Angry bits" --- still a bit sore to the touch, redness around the design. Of the whole piece, it's just about 1 square inch that's acting up. And I don't wanna put PrepH on my tat either, LOL! Haven't seen A&D (maybe not available in Canada, or I'm not looking hard enough?) but i know we have Aveeno. Am putting a few drops of lavender oil in my unscented lotion right now, not seeing a huge difference but I shore smell purdy . . ..
        • How long ago did you get your tat? It is possible that you are having a slight allergic reaction either to the ink itself or to something you are using to tend to it.

Try using castile soap (like Dr. Bronners) to cleanse it, and cleanse three times a day. Apply Aveeno after each cleansing.

I would avoid the lavendar oil, it may be irritating it a bit. There may also be something in your lotion that is acting as an irritant. The Aveeno I swear by! I have sensitive skin and the Aveeno is awesome.

My boyfriend just got a tattoo (his fifth) and he suddenly developed an allergic reaction to the ink. Sore, red, and puffy in spots. The doctor gave him an ointment and it is starting to go away (he said it would take a couple of weeks).

See if some of those things help and good luck to you!
          • Unsu...

Tat is almost 2 weeks old. Don't know if it's an allergy to the ink because the rest is so well healed, but yup. lotion could be an issue. I had a nice big bottle of unscented Escents lotion (local brand) from last year, but it went missing in the first critical first days so i went with Lubriderm , whihc i do suspect might not have been the best choice for me. Will check into the castile soap and Aveeno in the morning.

What was in the ointment your boyfriend got? I vaguely remember reading or being old not to use things like Polysporin or exema creams, so I've avoided them, but can't remember when or why, and it may have been misinformation or misunderstood by me, so am VERY glad to hear that it's working for him!!!

Thanks for the advice Yasmeena, much appreciated!! :-)
            • My BF is using some sort of steroidal cream that is prescription only. He still has some puffy parts, but the cream has helped immensely. His tattoo is about a month old now and is looking better.

I had a reaction to ink with my very first tattoo (which is now covered up with something else). For years it would get puffy for no particular reason and I am certain it was because I was allergic to the red ink. But the tattoos I have now are perfectly fine.

I would say if you are healed (no scabbing), then you should be totally fine to use whatever prescription med the doctor gives you. Use sparingly and increase or decrease as needed.

Let me know how the castile soap and Aveeno work for you. I think that will make things better.
              • I used "Tattoo Goo" that I got when I got my tattoo. I had oozing for a day or two, and ink will run onto clothing from a new tattoo but, that doesn't last long. I put the "Tattoo Goo" on 4-5 times a day sometimes more. This is my first tattoo. It will start flaking and scabbing... do not itch or scratch it no matter how much you want to, it's just healing. Mine healed up real nice. You can check out the site: www.redhousetattoo.com look under care and maintenance.
  • Had my back almost completely done over the course of last summer.

My artist (completely covered biker type) recommended "Aquaphor ". It worked well for the tattoo; however I noticed a mild rash. Began using ONLY enough to cover the ink and stopped approx. 3 - 5 days later - per my artist's instructions. Two years ago when he inked my lower back from hip to hip - he recommended "Neosporean" - seems to be pretty much the same. Had roughly the same results - healing time And mild rash with both...

Healed great, not ink bleeding or what not. Was a bit hesitant about using as I am sensitive to most products...
    However, I was able to heal up and go back in for more ink every two weeks... which was as close togather as my guy likes to work on the same area in larger pieces.

Sorry to hear that you had such a lousey experience. If you aren't completely scared off, and are planning more work... think about finding a different artist ~ unless you REALLY like his work and are willing to suffer for it.
  • Hello,

Just had another one and I ignored what the last tattooist said 'preperation H and scrub it with Sanex every 2 hours' This wonderful advise has ended up with a lovely but very faded tattoo.(colour had gone out of it before it had healed!)...

My new one ive done the following:
    Savlon for the first few days, plus ice blocks for muscle bruising every night... then the wonderful savlon seemed to dry it a lil after 2 days so i started using flexitol very dry skin balm... after a week and a half i went to vit E cream.

Perfick tattoo with no colour loss for annoying allergic skin :D Yay to not being allergic to tattoo ink! There is a Goddess!

when i can be bothered i will post a pic of it..
  • youre in the UK, so im not sure what is available over there....

ive healed all of my tattoos, minus my wrists, with bag balm. it didnt give me any problems, so far. i used auqhafor (or is that with a ph?) on my inner wrist tattoos, and the right one lost most of the ink. that could just be due to the location, not the ointment.

that being said, im on the hunt for a new aftercare product myself BECAUSE i have been told not to use anything petroleum based!!!

ive been told it can pull ink out of your fresh tattoo...whether thats correct or not, id rather not chance it on my next one, seeing as they cost so dern much and all!

sooo i recommend trying to find something without petroleum, like shay butter as someone else suggested, or maybe bees wax.
    i cant use lotions myself, since they sting, even after a weeks time (im a SLOW healer).
    • oh and to add to my post...

dont use something thats medicated, for the same reason. ive been told medicated ointments will also pull out the color.
      • Just an update of what I used for the start of my latest.

I used Lush's Dream Cream as recommended by the heavily tattooed girl behind the counter.

It worked a treat.
        • natural a and d and e ointment and then the same cream made by Carlson... a supplement company

i dry healed once... NEVERAGAIN!!
          • My artist recommended Aquaphor rather than A&D because it has a much higher grade of petroleum jelly in it and it isn't nearly as greasy either (therefore will not leave giant oily stains on your clothes and sheets the first night and won't clog up your skin). His recommendation has always been to use the Aquaphor for the first 24 hours and then switch to lotion. For lotion, I use Aveeno unscented with colloidal oatmeal - it is oil free and the colloidal oatmeal really helps the itching while it's healing. I swear by it.

When I had my memorial tattoo done I used Lubriderm, which was a mess for my uber sensitive easily cloggy skin - anything with mineral oil in it is a no-no for me. The Lubriderm caused massive irritation and the most horribly itchy, pimply rash! It started breaking out in these huge zitty things and I ended up on antibiotics. Luckily it didn't cause any scarring of the tattoo. I switched to Aveeno for the rest of the healing time and it helped a lot.

With my Green Man back piece, I stuck with the Aveeno and it worked wonders! I have always consistently been completely peeled within 5-6 days with a few days of sensitivity afterward, and the peel is a sunburn-type, not scabby at all (and this is still with an electric needle, not pneumatic). I am beautifully perfectly healed in about 1.5 weeks with no color loss or other issues. My artist is always amazed and wants to know how I heal so quickly (AND I'm a type I diabetic but no issues).

Recent topics in "Tattooed & Pierced Belly Dancers"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
Sigil Ink Evie a.k.a. ... 0 July 26, 2012
New Un-worn Gauges and something special Tash 0 June 9, 2011
Piercing question Vicky 5 March 15, 2011
Minneapolis area tattooists? Akasha 0 March 11, 2011