Advertisement

Covering Vertical Hysterectomy Scar

topic posted Tue, February 21, 2006 - 5:23 PM by  Lady
Share/Save/Bookmark
I am a new member, and glad to be on this tribe!
I am hoping someone has an example of tribal, celtic, henna-type work to cover a vertical hysterectomy scar. My scar starts an inch below my bellybutton, and goes all the way to my pubes. I would appreciate also any advice from anyone who has had it done.
Thanks, goddesses!
posted by:
Lady
Dallas
Advertisement
  • Re: Covering Vertical Hysterectomy Scar

Wed, February 22, 2006 - 5:14 PM
    Hi Lady M....my scar is very similar to your own, but mine wraps around my belly button.

My scar is covered by the 'handle' of the fan that shows on my abdomen when in dance costume.

There are lots of options when it comes to a scar cover up, but it depends on the age of the scar. If it is fair new, then you really should wait about a year to 18 months before you put ink to skin, since the skin is ever changing during that period of time. So, the older the scar the better the ink will stay overall.

Remember to find an artist that knows how to work with scar tissue and will work to create a design that is right for you. Mine was a redirection of focus to my upper abdomen, since I HATE my lower abdomen, and it works really well. Especially when I had an appendix scar perpendicular to the vertical scar left by an ovarian abcess removal.

Good luck and please feel free to ask me anything and I will surely try to help.
    ~nancy~

Wed, February 22, 2006 - 5:48 PM
      OH shoot I forgot to mention...my artist is Gypsy Jill out of Seattle WA www.gypsyjill.com

She specializes in scar coverup, and was the speaker at the National Tattoo Convention on this topic, and has been invited back to share more insight to the world of scar coverups.

Again...good luck, and any questions...just ask. :)

Wed, February 22, 2006 - 8:04 PM
      Hi icy!
      Thanks for your input...your tattoo is very beautiful, I think. I appreciate the info on letting the scar "age"...that makes sense, because the scar looks so much different already from a year ago. I had the surgery in May 2004...so let's see...21 months...guess I could, if the tattoo artist thinks it will work. I will need to "interview" some of the tattoo artists in Dallas...anyone have any input on that? I only have had the one tattoo on my lower back, and the girl who did it left town. The studio where she worked is great, and very clean, and more women-friendly then most...also never had a Health dept. violation. I could also go as far as Austin to get one...there are probably some good artists there...
      Thanks for feedback, m'dear!
      Shimmy!
      Lady M

Wed, February 22, 2006 - 5:38 PM
    There is an artist in New Hampshire (or Maine but almost sure its NH) who specializes in doing tattoes on scar tissue (specifically mastectomy scars) .. her name is Julie Moon... she does wonderful work. You may be able to track her down and ask her questions and/or get out to her and have her do your work.. its worth the trip!

Wed, February 22, 2006 - 6:52 PM
      Thank you, Rachel! All information is absolutely appreciated. Perhaps she could recommend someone in my neck of the woods too.
      BTW, love your photo that is currently on your home page...that looks like it was an awesome experience and dance. very cuuuul.

Wed, February 22, 2006 - 6:59 PM
        No problem Lady! I love Julie Moon's work... she has the best floral stuff and I think she only does custom work (no flash!). I have seen her stuff up close and it wears well over time. She would know better than I the experts all over who specialize in scar work!

Thanks! the show Muse we did was GREAT and learning that Ouled Nail piece from Dalia Carella was fantastic!!!

Recent topics in "Tattooed & Pierced Belly Dancers"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
Sigil Ink Evie a.k.a. ... 0 July 26, 2012
New Un-worn Gauges and something special Tash 0 June 9, 2011
Piercing question Vicky 5 March 15, 2011
Minneapolis area tattooists? Akasha 0 March 11, 2011