Advertisement

April 1st Announcement

topic posted Fri, April 1, 2011 - 7:33 AM by  MIKADEMUS
Share/Save/Bookmark
I want to thank all present and am announcing that I have inherited an estate in "California Wine Country" and will start be closing my affairs here in order to start my new life growing grapes to make Chardonnay in Sonoma, thank you. :-)
Advertisement
  • Re: April 1st Announcement

Fri, April 1, 2011 - 10:56 AM
    : D
    • Some famous April Fools’ hoaxes

Fri, April 1, 2011 - 8:05 PM
      schott.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/...fools/

April 1, 2011, 12:30 PM
      Weekend Competition: April Fools
      This weekend, Schott’s Vocab invites co-vocabularists to share their favourite April Fools’ Day japery.

Some famous April Fools’ hoaxes include:

The San Serriffe Archipelago | In 1977, a seven-page supplement in The Guardian was dedicated to the Republic of San Serriffe, a collection of islands located in the Indian Ocean. Its two principal islands were Upper Caisse and Lower Caisse.

The Spaghetti Harvest | In 1957, the BBC’s Panorama produced a spoof documentary on the harvesting of spaghetti, in Ticino, Switzerland.

The Left-Handed Whopper | An April 1998 full-page advertisement in USA Today heralded the arrival of the left-handed whopper, in which condiments were rotated 180 degrees to suit left-handers.

The Curious Case of Sidd Finch | In 1985, Sports Illustrated reported on a mystery pitcher with a 168 m.p.h. fastball, Sidd Fitch.

Flying Adélie Penguins | In 2008, The BBC and The Telegraph reported on a colony of penguins who fly thousands of miles to the South American rain forest to “spend the winter basking in the tropical sun.”

Co-vocabularists are invited to submit tricks they have pulled off themselves, pranks perpetrated against them, or the April Fools’ Day ruses of others that they have admired.

Recent topics in "the muddy pub"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
Its Summer Meeko! 29 June 6, 2014
Its Autumn! Meeko! 6 October 8, 2013
How old would you be on other planets? Check this out :D Meeko! 4 September 21, 2013
Video DJ Four ( Cuz Today Feels Like This ) MIKADEMUS 151 July 27, 2013