tobacco store it in the fridge. It keeps well for a few weeks. There
is a better way. My home grown is fermented with the main stems
removed. So my brews consist of long strands equal to half of a
leaf.When the aforementioned process is complete I lay these out and
twist into ropes about three feet long. Roll these up tightly in some
cloth. ( No dyes, Perfumes) (Old sheets work, White Shirts). Then
assuming this thing is 3 ft long fold 8 or 10 inches over and continue
folding until the rope is a more compact flattened coil. Now wrap
twine very tightly around this thing from end to end like a noose.
Don't open it for at least a month. When you get the hang of things
you can make these up for months in advance. Store them in cool dark
places like you would cigars. They keep well outdoors in some full
shade place in the winter when the humidity is high.Don't let the sun
shine on them nor let the rain on them. I have never had one of these
mold. As a closing note, the dark green varieties make the finest
chewing tobacco. Luck, Michael
posted by:
Unsubscribed
Advertisement
  • Unsu...

"The following is how they made chewing tobacco on the Nebraska - Kansas state line near Rulo. First, grow the tobacco. After harvesting the tobacco, partly split a wood log but leave the wedge in the log. Next, molasses is smeared onto the tobacco leafs and then the tobacco leaf is stuffed into the split log. Next, remove the wedge from the log and let it clamp shut. After the tobacco plug is cured, split the log and now you have chewing tobacco." From: www.usgennet.org/usa/ne/co...gends.html
    • thats interesting
      how long would they leav the plug in the press for you reckon. how to cure

i will check the link out later when i got mroe time
      thanks for this
      • Unsu...

This post should answer your question about aging. A couple of more traditional recipes: For my favorite chew I use un-pasteurized Apple Cider, since that is easy to get to in Oblivion County. But I have found in my travels that lots of other fruits work well and can make your chew more interesting... Just cover the bottom of a large skillet with the juice and let her boil.

Not too much!! When it boils down you should pour in some more and repeat until get a juice that is missing a lot of its water and is the essence of the fruit juice. When you get there you only need enough to cover the bottom with a skim of juice (not deep at all). Then add a couple of tablespoons of molasses. Homemade black strap molasses is the best. Get the best molasses anyway.

Now stir this for a moment and kill the heat leaving the mixture really HOT! Start stirring in tobacco until the leaf is about the wetness you desire. I don't cook the stuff but it is important for the heat to thin the molasses and drive the juices into the leaf. I think it does a world of good to let the finished product set in the skillet for hours and evaporate some more. OH! I do throw a few shakes of salt and some of Pappy’s Elixir into the juice and molasses before I add the leaf.

- Buford

You go into the woods (or wherever) and find a good stout sassafras log that is at least 4 inches in diameter. You hollow out the wood from one side, making look like a log boat. (Optional – at this point you can char the inside if you want more of a smoky flavor.)

You compact several tobacco leaves into the hollow of the log. Pour on top of the tobacco either molasses or honey mixed with peach brandy or hard apple cider (4 T. molasses to 1 t. brandy or 2 t. hard cider). Fashion a wooden plug for the piece of beech wood. Let it sit for 4-6 months while the honey or molasses and the tobacco leaf ferment. That produces chewing tobacco.

I keep six of ‘em going all of the time, since one batch lasts me about a month.

- Bubba
        Note: Any kind of pleasantly scented nontoxic hardwood would do. Most often a person would just bore a large auger hole into an appropriate size piece of wood. This method, without the sweetener, was used by early French Americans to produce carrotes for smoking or snuff as well as the original Perique tobacco. It is said to have originated with the Chickasaw Indians.
        • cool thanks
          so when they say tobacco leaves are they meaning already dry yellow leaves or straight of the plant?
          i imagine its a two step cure process one to cure the leaves so they are dry and yellow then to cure them further like mentioned here.

sounds good cant wait for next spring i am going to grow bucket loads of tobacco i am going to be preparing garden beds very soon for them.
        • Unsu...

We take good tobacco leaves that have been well cured and strip the main stem from the leaf. Then the two half-leaves are flavored with a dip made with honey and whiskey. After the leaves have dried, we wrap them with a broad wrapper leaf into a tight roll about a foot long. We back-braid the roll, creating a twist of tobacco that fits neatly into a pocket. I don't remember where I got this one from & I've had damn all luck trying to make a sucessful twist of this type.
  • pt
    pt
    offline 0
    I have pre ordered several one sucker plants for next year. I was hoping on making several tobacco twists. Do I need to air cure the tobacco before I twist it and if so how dry to I want the leaves? And how long and where would you want to store a twist? Also I do not have access to a barn or shed for air curing (only a garage) any hints or ideas on curing? The recipes below sound great, do I need to cure my leaves before starting the recipe or will just picked leaves work? Also any hints on natural pesticides? I've heard dry snuff (bruton for example) mixed with water in a spray bottle makes a good pesticide. But then again I'm new at this. I enjoy using tobacco and gardening, why not mix the two?

Recent topics in "Tobacco Patch"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
Ethnographic snippet Unsubscribed 15 March 23, 2012
Swedish Style Snus for American Style Kitchens Nathan 1 November 23, 2011
Hopland Tobacco 0 May 22, 2010
cigars batman 5 August 6, 2008
smokeless tobaccos batman 15 August 3, 2008