Advertisement

Japanese Earthquake.

topic posted Sun, March 13, 2011 - 9:44 PM by 
Share/Save/Bookmark
When the Earthquake recently hit New Zealand, I kinda stayed away from the topic... it was a 6.3, and while not as large as the 7.8 there in 2009 - the Feb 2011 earthquake was near a populated area, and hence resulted in more death and destruction than the earlier larger quake.. So far there are 166 confirmed deaths and the final expected toll is around 200 in NZ. Given the urban population is about 390,300 people in Christchurch it is lucky more were not killed.

The 8.9-9 Sendai earthquake and tsunami looks to have killed about 2,000 and perhaps as many as 3,500 - but some are saying it might be much larger and some media sources are talking about 10,000. There have been over 30 aftershocks equal or above to 6 in magnitude.

If your into prayer, voodoo or charms.. whip them out and apply them in the hope more people will be extracted from the rubble alive., and if you're are not into such things, I am sure your thoughts will still pause upon the pain and suffering of the victims.

‘Mother Nature’ sure has thrown her weight around in recent times;

2010 Pakistan floods began in late July 2010 – estimated to have killed over 2,000, directly affected about 20 million people

2004 Indian Ocean earthquake and tsunami, killed over 230,000 in fourteen countries and directly affecting tens of millions of people.
posted by:
Advertisement
  • Unsu...

Re: Japanese Earthquake.

Mon, March 14, 2011 - 8:12 AM

German media commentators across the political spectrum are saying the accident in a highly developed nation such as Japan is further evidence that nuclear power isn't safe.

www.spiegel.de/internatio...810,00.html
    • Unsu...

Mon, March 14, 2011 - 8:22 AM
      Earthquakes are common in Japan, one of the world's most seismically active areas. The country accounts for about 20 percent of the world's earthquakes of magnitude 6 or greater and on average, an earthquake occurs every 5 minutes.

www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/a...vice.html
      • Re: Japanese Earthquake- The Reactors

Mon, March 14, 2011 - 4:06 PM
        <German media commentators across the political spectrum are saying the accident in a highly developed nation such as Japan is further evidence that nuclear power isn't safe>

Very mixed reports on the reactors.. but it seems there was another explosion and our media are saying one of the rods is exposed.. but hard to tell how credible they are..

'The reactor "is not necessarily in a stable condition," Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano was quoted by Kyodo News as saying.'

Source news.xinhuanet.com/english2...78445.htm
        • Tokyo Electric Power Co

Mon, March 14, 2011 - 4:12 PM
          It was suggested today on our mainstream news television that Tokyo Electric Power Co has a history of safety failures and also providing misleading information on its safety record.

In a quick search there is not much coming up via google on that.. but

"General Electric Co. defended the design of the now-stricken reactor it supplied to Japan 40 years ago, saying its containment system is safe and reliable.

Fukushima-Daiichi's unit 1, the scene of a dramatic explosion Saturday, is equipped with a GE boiling water reactor with a so-called Mark 1 containment system. There have been concerns about that particular design for years, with critics saying it isn't as robust as later models.

GE dismissed that criticism Monday, in what appeared to be its first comments about equipment it supplied Japan's Tokyo Electric Power Co.

"The BWR Mark 1 reactor is the industry's workhorse with a proven track record of safety and reliability for more than 40 years," said Michael Tetuan, spokesman for GE Hitachi Nuclear Energy. "There has never been a breach of a Mark 1 containment system."

GE has a nuclear energy joint venture with Japan's Hitachi Ltd"

Source online.wsj.com/article/SB...614066.html
          • Re: Tokyo Electric Power Co

Mon, March 14, 2011 - 4:14 PM
            From 2002
            ~~~~~~~

"TOKYO, Japan (CNN) -- The president, vice president and chairman of Japan's largest utility are quitting following a nuclear safety scandal, along with two advisers.

The Monday announcements came after Tokyo Electric Power Co. (TEPCO) admitted last week that it may have failed to accurately report cracks at its nuclear reactors in the late 1980s and 1990s.

The company and the Japanese government are probing whether workers covered up reports of the cracks.

TEPCO is suspected of falsifying 29 cases of safety repair records.

The company's nuclear reactor is the world's largest, and will be shut down temporarily along with four others for urgent safety checks."

Source and the rest.. archives.cnn.com/2002/BUSI...index.html
            • Radiation levels near a quake-stricken nuclear plant are now harmful to human health, Japan's government says after explosions and a fire at the facility.

''There is no doubt that unlike in the past, the figures are the level at which human health can be affected,'' said chief government spokesman Yukio Edano.

Tens of thousands have already been evacuated from a zone within a radius of 20km from the Fukushima No.1 plant, 250 kilometres northeast of Tokyo.

In a live address on national broadcaster NHK, Japanese Prime Minister Naoto Kan also said that people beyond 20 kilometres but up to a 30-kilometre radius from the plant should stay indoors.

Mr Kan refused to comment about individual reactors, which he said was the job of the company running the Fukushima plant. There have now been three explosions since Saturday. The fire at No 4 reactor has been extinguished, according to local media

"We are making every effort possible so that no further leakage of material is possible," he said, saying that workers at the plant who were pumping seawater into the reactors to keep them cool were "putting themselves in a very dangerous situation".

"I know that people are very worried but I would like to ask you to act calmly."

In a press conference following Mr Kan's, Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano said radiation levels around the No.1, No.2 and No.3 reactors were a threat to human health

The rise in radiation levels – which were recorded at up to 400 millisieverts an hour and were thousands of times higher than the levels recorded before the explosion at No.2 – may have also been caused by the fire at No.4, Mr Edano said.

The French embassy in Tokyo said this afternoon that low-level radiation wind from the reactors could reach the capital city, about 240 kilometres south of Fukushima, in 10 hours, Reuters reported.

With radiation levels around the facility up, TEPCO suspects the core of the No.2 reactor has partially melted, a critical nuclear safety situation

Source www.smh.com.au/environmen...-1busf.html
        • Unsu...

Re: Japanese Earthquake- The Reactors

Wed, July 20, 2011 - 7:15 AM
          <German media commentators across the political spectrum are saying the accident in a highly developed nation such as Japan is further evidence that nuclear power isn't safe>

Very mixed reports on the reactors.. but it seems there was another explosion and our media are saying one of the rods is exposed.. but hard to tell how credible they are..

'The reactor "is not necessarily in a stable condition," Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano was quoted by Kyodo News as saying.'

www.youtube.com/watch
  • Person Finder: 2011 Japan Earthquake

Tue, March 15, 2011 - 7:35 PM
    • Re: Person Finder: 2011 Japan Earthquake

Wed, March 30, 2011 - 1:22 PM
      IAEA finds high radiation levels outside Japan evacuation zone

Radiation levels in a Japanese town outside a government-ordered evacuation zone have exceeded one of the criteria for evacuation, the International Atomic Energy Agency said Wednesday.

The agency said it advised Japan "to carefully assess the situation."

The elevated levels were found in Iitate, a town of 7,000 residents about 40 kilometers (25 miles) northwest of the earthquake- and tsunami-damaged Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant, the agency said. The evacuation zone covers a 20-kilometer (13-mile) radius around the plant.

The agency did not say what levels it found in Iitate, but the environmental group Greenpeace said Sunday it had found radiation levels in the town that were more than 50 times above normal.

Though that is far below the level that would cause radiation sickness, it does pose a risk of cancer to residents in the long term, Greenpeace said. www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/a...nuclear.iaea/
      • si
        si
        offline 41

Re: Person Finder: 2011 Japan Earthquake

Wed, March 30, 2011 - 3:32 PM
        Must be tough working for the IAEA, just sayin it out loud "I'm with the IAEA"...

Wed, March 30, 2011 - 5:21 PM
          This was heavily on our news again last night

Reactor feared in meltdown, radiation spreads
          Updated 2 hours 41 minutes ago

As dangerously high levels of radiation spread beyond the Fukushima exclusion zone in Japan, there are fears the race to contain the nuclear crisis has been lost and meltdown has already taken place.

Radiation measured at a village 40 kilometres from the Fukushima nuclear plant now exceeds a criterion for evacuation, the UN nuclear watchdog said.

And a Japanese nuclear expert has warned crews may have to keep pouring cooling water onto the stricken reactors for years.......Prime minister Naoto Kan says he is considering enlarging the evacuation area to force 130,000 people to move in addition to the 70,000 already displaced.

The indications are the most serious nuclear crisis in 25 years is getting worse.

Richard Lahey, head of safety research for this type of reactor at General Electric, which installed the reactors at Fukushima in the 1970s, says workers at the site appear to have lost the race to save the crippled No. 2 reactor.

The Guardian newspaper quotes him as saying he believes the reactor core has melted through the bottom of the pressure vessel and at least some of it is down on the concrete floor beneath.

This would mean in simple terms the accident is no longer a matter of melting fuel rods, but of meltdown. .... Hiroto Sakashita, a nuclear reactor thermal hydraulics professor at Hokkaido University, says the other reactors and cooling ponds will take years to cool.

"They will just have to keep on pouring and pouring but contaminated water will keep leaking out," he told The New York Times

Source and more www.abc.net.au/news/stori...3178263.htm

Wed, March 30, 2011 - 5:23 PM
            it is making a terrible ragged hole in my heart.

Wed, March 30, 2011 - 5:34 PM
              I know what you mean.. and it is not just about those affected now.. but in the future.. but with any crisis.. the focus must be on the living not the gone.. but I think those folks around the plant should pack up and leave. Easily said, hard to do.. it is not just the packing.. it is leaving a home you have a mortgage on, your entire financial life - job included (if it still exists).. but if I had kids.. I would have them away in a flash (oh.. probably not the best word to use.. but you know what I mean..)

Wed, March 30, 2011 - 5:54 PM
                I lost four loves to it right away, and two more later on - and the magnitude of this in my life is massive - which causes me to almost fall apart and have to ignore the urge to imagine what it must be like for someone with so infinitely much more lost.

A colleague sent me a photo she'd taken when she located her friend amid the ruins of her home - I couldn't stop feeling anguish from it for days. Since then I've been careful about what I look at. Unusual, for me.

My sense of loss is just this fragment, this dandelion seed, in the arc of suffering and bereavement - in some horrible way I am glad that, for instance, Hiroko did not live to see the aftermath, that my memory of her can always be of her smiling, and doing stuff - fuck "RIP" - instead: fly through this universe and dance with mad abandon unfettered by the unfairness of physical being! forever beuatiful
  • Japan's selfless heroes

Wed, March 30, 2011 - 5:24 PM
    Desperate conditions of the Fukushima Fifty: How Japan's selfless heroes shun sleep, food and water as they battle to tame the nuclear monster

Few drivers prepared to deliver vital supplies to Fukushima Fifty
    Men survive on crackers for breakfast and a can of meat for dinner
    Water is so scarce they wash hands in alcohol
    They sleep on lead-lined floor just 300 yards from the leaking plant
    Masks worn at all times, even to sleep
    Men's bedtime ritual is a synchronised clap and shout of 'Let's do our best'

They sleep - or at least try to - on a lead-lined floor just 300 yards from the leaking Fukushima nuclear power plant, huddling under a single blanket and surviving on tiny amounts of food and water.

The conditions are virtually intolerable, yet these are the men who hold much of Japan's immediate future in their hands, for if they fail to heal the crippled plant experts fear dangerous levels of radiation will pour out into the atmosphere and continue to spill into the sea.
    They need more sleep, more warmth, more food, more water but finding drivers brave enough to bring in the daily necessities has become a hit and miss affair - and helicopters cannot be used because of the high levels of radiation around the nuclear complex.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...isis.html
  • Re: Japanese Earthquake.

Wed, March 30, 2011 - 8:50 PM

Wed, March 30, 2011 - 9:05 PM
      (I will have to come back for youtubes..)

Wed, March 30, 2011 - 9:16 PM
        the comments from Tokyo freaked me right out
        • si
          si
          offline 41

Thu, March 31, 2011 - 2:02 AM
          My wife nearly died from thyroid cancer, she was lucky it was spotted quick. Incidences been going up all over the world for years ,can only get worse :(
        • Unsu...

Thu, March 31, 2011 - 4:53 AM
          Safety measures

Japan's trade ministry ordered nuclear power plant operators to immediately start implementing new safety measures on Wednesday in light of the crisis at the Fukushima plant.

The steps, to be completed by the end of April, include preparing backup power in case of loss of power supply, and having fire trucks with hoses ready at all times to intervene and ensure cooling systems for both reactors and pools of used fuel are maintained.

The operators must also update their own operating manuals and train staff based on the revised rules.

Japan was on Wednesday considering plans to drape shattered nuclear reactor buildings with special covers to limit radiation, and pump contaminated water into a tanker anchored offshore.

"Every possibility" was under discussion, cabinet spokesman Yukio Edano said. These included covering three badly damaged outer reactor buildings with special fabric caps and fitting air filters to limit radiation. Another plan was to anchor an empty tanker off reactor two, so that workers can pump several Olympic swimming pools' worth of highly-radioactive runoff water into its hull, the Asahi Shimbun daily reported, citing unnamed government officials.

Residents within 20km of the Fukushima plant have been evacuated, while those up to 30km away have been urged to leave voluntarily as radiation has made its way into vegetables, raw milk and water.

The nuclear fears have only compounded the humanitarian disaster following the earthquake and tsunami. The death toll from the disaster has risen to 11,000 people, with more than 17,000 still missing.

english.aljazeera.net/news/as...317.html

Tue, April 19, 2011 - 9:42 PM
    I hate the way the media go into a frenzy over something.. then forget it and report on cats up trees...
    • Unsu...

Tue, April 19, 2011 - 11:08 PM
      <I hate the way the media go into a frenzy over something.. then forget it and report on cats up trees...

By fading back and forth between scenes of pre- and post-quake Tokyo, this time-lapse video by YouTube user darwinfish105 shows how the metropolitan nightscape has been affected by Japan's ongoing power shortages and conservation efforts.

pinktentacle.com/ It is updated regularly.

ps: one of the pics shows starbucks coffee in shibuya on a building second floor. when SC first opened it had seating built along the window, the female customers from the waist down were clearly visible so they formed a living "beaver" pond for guys to view from the street below :) now the beavers are hidden behind a strip of translucent plastic. : )
  • Unsu...

Sat, May 28, 2011 - 10:13 AM
    About my coverage of Japan Earthquake of March 11
    I am Japanese, and I not only read Japanese news sources for information on earthquake and the Fukushima Nuke Plant but also watch press conferences via the Internet when I can and summarize my findings, adding my observations.

ex-skf.blogspot.com/

Sat, May 28, 2011 - 9:55 PM
      Thanks !
      • Unsu...

Sun, May 29, 2011 - 9:20 AM
        <<Illinois has more nuclear power reactors (eleven) than any other state, and Illinois lies inside the New Madrid earthquake zone. About 50 percent of the electricity used in Illinois is generated by nuclear power. >>

and if anything happened here, even remotely close to what happened in Japan I can guarantee you we would NOT be so trusting of our government

that is probably too controversial to say in a trivia tribe
  • Re: Other Earthquake News...

Tue, March 20, 2012 - 3:21 PM
    content.usatoday.com/communi...apulco/1

7.4 quake jolts southern Mexico, rocks capital:

“An earthquake measuring 7.4 struck today in southern Mexico, about 110 miles from Acapulco, the U.S. Geological Survey reports.”

“A BBC reporter estimated that the earth shook for about a minute, a virtual eternity to people experiencing a big quake. But that's nowhere near the longest shaking ever recorded. That record is held by the December 2004 quake off Sumatra, Indonesia. Scientists determined that the magnitude-9.1 rupture, which generated huge tsunamis and killed more than 283,000 people, shook for almost 10 minutes.”

Recent topics in "! Trivia Tribe !"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
Short Snappy Trivia about anything - thread 7 243 April 10, 2014
International Trivia Day SwampGuy 2 January 23, 2014
Welcome thread - NUMBER 10 ! 48 January 23, 2014
Merry Christmas !!! 10 December 31, 2013