Advertisement

Kale

topic posted Sat, November 13, 2010 - 1:29 AM by  Pri. Etient
Share/Save/Bookmark
Kale is a dark green which I believe has a lot of iron and vitamin Bs and well as chorophyl
at a raw vegan cafe called cafe gratitude they had shredded it into ribbons and made a salad
this is nice and chewy for a salad as most salads aren't chewy
the second more popurlar method is of blanching the Kale, dipping it in hot water for a few seconds and rinsing with cold water

I seasoned it with some balsamic and cayenne but regretted it I felt it might have been better unseasoned or seasoned differently
any ideas?
posted by:
Pri. Etient
Los Angeles
Advertisement
  • Re: Kale

Wed, November 17, 2010 - 6:25 PM
    I eat my kale with a spritz of vinegar, a teaspoon of olive oil, a sprinkling of salt and mango! I often add mixed bean or alfalfa sprouts. It's a very...cohesive combo on the tongue I find. The mango really makes the salad though.

Thu, November 18, 2010 - 11:36 AM
    try massaging the shredded raw kale well with a bit of sea salt, then let it sit for 10-15 minutes. then add your seasonings (I like lemon juice, olive oil, avocado, chile pepper...etc)

Thu, November 18, 2010 - 4:08 PM
      One of my favorite Kale recipes (from 101 Cookbooks)

Pan-fried Corona Beans & Kale

A few notes related to the recipe - be sure to wash the kale well, so you don't end up with grit in your beans. I use dried beans (that I've cooked myself) here, and would highly recommend using them over canned beans - they brown up better and are less likely to go to mush. I used giant corona beans, but you could use runner cannellini, or something similar. I like the white beans because they take on a lot of color in the pan. Alternate recipe - I'm confident you could do this preparation with gnocchi (don't boil the gnocchi first) in place of the beans.

1/2 bunch / 6 oz / 170 g dino kale or lacinato kale, remove stems

2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

2 - 3 big handfuls of cooked large white beans (see head notes)

1/4 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
      1/3 cup / 1 1/2 oz / 45 g walnuts, lightly toasted
      1 clove garlic, minced
      1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
      scant 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
      zest of 1 lemon
      1/3 cup / 1/2 oz / 15 g freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Finely chop the kale, wash it, and shake off as much water as you can. Set aside.

Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat in the widest skillet you own. Add the beans in a single layer. Stir to coat the beans, then let them sit long enough to brown on one side, about 3 or 4 minutes, before turning to brown the other side, also about 3 or 4 minutes. The beans should be golden and a bit crunchy on the outside.

Add the kale and salt to the pan and cook for less than a minute, just long enough for the kale to lose a bit of its structure. Stir in the walnuts and garlic, wait 10 seconds, then stir in the nutmeg. Wait ten seconds and stir in the lemon juice and zest. Remove from heat and serve dusted with Parmesan cheese.

Serves 2 - 4.

Thu, November 18, 2010 - 3:39 PM
    I just ate some kale today for the first time! I bought it at the Whole Foods deli. It is raw with a spicy garlic sauce on it. OMGz iz yummies!

And can I just get some more love for Whole Foods...if it wasn't for their deli...well, I'd have more money on hand, but I wouldn't be eating as well.

Thu, November 18, 2010 - 5:57 PM
      you can make it easily if u want and blanche it and add a garlicy soy sauce.....

also that recipe sounds nice but is too much cooked oil for me
      I don't like cooked oils because they make me feel lethargic and generally crappy
      maybe I'll do something similar with adding uncooked oil afterwards with the nuts

Thanks about the massaging idea I forgot about that one!
      It lends very well to Kale maybe it helps one digest their nutrients better too?

Thu, November 18, 2010 - 7:00 PM
        lacinato kale is great juiced! do a blend of kale+carrot(+coconut yum!) if you are scared of it straight.

I think salting it is like making sauerkraut or generally getting the ferment going a bit since kale has lactobacillis naturally on the leaves.

Thu, November 25, 2010 - 7:35 PM
          Oh i didn't know that
          is it true for chard too?
          I don't have a juicer so I'll just eat it raw massaged lol
          I do want to try the fermenting though sounds fun maybe after my master cleanse lol :D

Sat, November 27, 2010 - 7:21 PM
    I love steaming kale and eating it over polenta cooked with olive oil and veggie broth.

Tue, December 7, 2010 - 8:30 AM
    I mix 1/3 cup olive oil, 1/3 cup bragg's, and 1/3 cup of fresh lemon juice, set it aside, slice red onion into thin moons, put it in the mixture to marinade, then slice the kale into 1/4 to 1/2 strips massage it all together, then fold in sesame seeds and chopped walnuts, let it set over night. It is good to go.

Thu, December 9, 2010 - 2:42 AM
      sounds tasty but too much salt and oil for me, I know people think olive oil is sooo great for you but only if it's cold pressed with oxygen flowing through and the other stuff is just bad for you especially when you cook it! I'll not eat that kind stuff again XP
      maybe a little spritz of braggs and oil for me with the other ingredients, I generally find 1 spoon of dressing enough for a whole bowl of veggies and leaves whatnot etc

I want to ferment soon too but the only way I know how to do it is with a butt load of salt but eating kale for the natural symbiotes or probiotes sounds good I also hear inullin in chicory root is a prebiotic so maybe like adding some chicory root viniger and lemon infused oil to the Kale?
      mmm sounds tasty

Fri, December 10, 2010 - 1:14 PM
    shred your kale, add a little of your favorite seaweed (i like nori), add a little ume plum vinegar and untoasted sesame oil. (vinegar first so the oil doesn't coat the leaves and keep the vinegar from penetrating.) let it sit for a bit. it's even better after a day in the fridge. sprinkle some gomasio on top (or not) and maybe add some thinly sliced avocado. good to go. nomnomnom.

Wed, September 21, 2011 - 9:42 AM
    I like to put my kale in smoothies. I blend 1 banana, 1 cup of frozen fruit, ice, water and then I slowly add the kale. I add as much as I can until it starts tasting too Kale-like. It's a bright green and it tastes really good. It's surprisingly good without the fruit. Doesn't taste kale-like.

Thu, October 27, 2011 - 1:46 PM
    I've had dehydrated kale "chips" seasoned w nutritional yeast- they were great. My favorite is Ethiopian-style though, cooked w spiced oil and simmered in a little broth for about 30 minutes, cut in ribbon thin strips, is very yummy way to enjoy all the varieties of Kale. "Ethiopian-inspired Cooking" by Ian Finn is all vegetarian and has instructions for this method. Southern style with hot pepper vinegar is good as well.
    • Crisp Kale Chips With Chile and Lime

Fri, October 28, 2011 - 1:25 PM
      Crisp Kale Chips With Chile and Lime

Time: 20 minutes

20 cups kale, torn into bite-size pieces, washed and thoroughly dried

1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil

3/4 teaspoon kosher salt

Finely grated zest of 2 limes

Flaky sea salt, or to taste (don't bother with fine grain salt)

Mild chile powder (I prefer it spicier).

1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Make sure the kale is dry; if it is not, it will steam rather than crisp in the oven.

2. In a large bowl, toss kale pieces with olive oil and kosher salt; you may need to do this in 2 batches. Massage the oil onto each kale piece until the oil is evenly distributed and the kale glistens. Spread the kale out on 2 17-by-12-inch jellyroll pans (or do this in batches). Bake the kale chips until the leaves look crisp and crumble, about 12 minutes. If they are not ready, bake for another 2 to 4 minutes.

3. Remove from the oven and cool to room temperature. Toss with the lime zest, sea salt and chile powder to taste.

Yield: 6 to 8 servings. Expect the dish to be empty within 15 minutes.
      • Re: Crisp Kale Chips With Chile and Lime

Sat, October 29, 2011 - 1:22 PM
        I used the recipe below and substituted kale for the napa cabbage.

Mak Kimchi Recipe by Amy Kim of Kimchi Mom.

ingredients:

7 lbs. of napa cabbage
        about 1/3 cup kosher salt
        1 cup sweet rice flour (Mochiko is a popular brand)
        2 cups water
        3/4 cup red pepper flakes, medium coarseness
        1/4 cup chopped saewoo jjut (salted shrimp)
        3 tablespoons fish sauce
        A scant 1/2 cup sugar
        5-7 green onion stalks, chopped
        2 oz. ginger (2-inch long, 1-inch diameter piece), minced
        8-9 medium garlic cloves, minced
        3 medium carrots, julienned
        1 medium-sized daikon or 1 small mu (Korean radish), thinly sliced in 2-inch sections
        water

directions:

Preparing the sweet rice flour paste:

Whisk together the sweet rice flour and water in a small saucepan. Keep whisking the mixture until bubbles form on the surface. Once this occurs, take the saucepan off the heat and set aside to cool.

Preparing the cabbage:

Discard any wilted or discolored leaves. Starting at the base of the stem, cut the cabbage about one-third of the way down. Then pull apart the cabbage halves to completely separate them. Do the same with the halved portions - cut and pull apart. Repeat for all the cabbage heads. At this point, you can give the quarters a quick rinse under running water and shake off any excess water.

Trim the core at a diagonal. Cut the quarters into 2-inch wide pieces and place in an oversized bowl (I used a 12 qt. bowl) or use a couple of large bowls. Sprinkle generously with salt. Alternate layers of cabbage and salt. Once all the cabbage is cut, give the cabbage a toss and sprinkle more salt on top. Place a weight on top of the cabbage. Two dinner plates works well for me.

Let the salted cabbage sit for at least 3 hours. Don't worry if you go over (in the video, I let mine sit overnight since I couldn't tend to it at 3 hours). After 1 hour, give the cabbage another toss.

Preparing the sauce:

While the cabbage is close to being ready, prepare the red pepper sauce. In a medium bowl, mix kochukaru (red pepper flakes), water, saewoo jjut, fish sauce, green onions, sugar, ginger, garlic, rice flour paste, and about a 1/2 cup water. Mix thoroughly. Taste. It should be balanced – not too salty, not too fishy, not to spicy and not too sweet. Adjust seasonings at this point. The consistently should be akin to very thick batter. Add a bit more water if necessary. Mix in carrots and radish. Set aside.

Once the cabbage is ready (the volume of the cabbage should have decreased, and it should be a bit wilted), rinse the cabbage under cold running water and let drain in a colander. Once drained, place the cabbage in a large bowl.

At this point you may want to put clean plastic gloves on especially if you have sensitive skin. Add the sauce to the cabbage. Thoroughly mix the sauce and cabbage and make sure every piece of cabbage is coated with the red pepper sauce. Taste. If it needs more salt, add a bit of fish sauce. But you don’t want it to be too salty.

Transfer the cabbage mixture into a large glass jar. Press down on the cabbage as you are filling the jar. Leave about 1-inch of space from the top.

Don’t throw the empty bowl in the sink just yet. Pour in about 1 cup of water into the bowl. Add about a teaspoon of salt to start, and stir. Swirl the water around to make sure you get all the remaining pepper mixture. Taste. Again, you don’t want it too salty – just a hint of salt. Fill the jar with the water until it barely covers the cabbage.

Press down on the cabbage again and make sure the liquid has made its way throughout the jar. Close the lid tightly.

Leave the jars at room temperature** for about a day away from direct sunlight. I leave mine out for about 24-30 hours. This is when the magic happens. You may want to place the jar in a shallow bowl or plate in case there is leakage.

After those 24 or so excruciating hours, sample the kimchi. There should be a slight tang. At this point it is ready to be refrigerated. You can eat the kimchi right away, but I prefer to wait at least a week to indulge. The kimchi will continue to ferment at a much slower pace in the refrigerator and will keep for about 4 weeks. The kimchi will turn really sour at this point and if you have any left in the jar, it will be perfect for jigae, fried rice, ramen or jun.

**What is “room temperature”? Wikipedia says it’s the temperature indicated by general human comfort, about 68°F to 77°F.

Recent topics in "Vegetarian & Vegan Recipe Exchange"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
Do u love night club for fun? Unsubscribed 0 August 23, 2014
Mock Soy Vay Veri Veri Teriyaki Sauce (Homemade version - Very... Nadja Dee 1 March 14, 2014
Vegi burger Unsubscribed 3 February 12, 2014
miso question nancy 16 July 10, 2013