Advertisement

Bragg's Liquid Aminos

topic posted Sun, January 8, 2006 - 3:44 PM by  Chickadee
Share/Save/Bookmark
So, I kept hearing about BLA from you lovely tribers and I finally bought (my first) small bottle a few days ago. I've done a search in this tribe to see what I can do with it, but I wanted to start a discussion entirely devoted to this handy seasoning. What are your favorite things to do with Bragg's Liquid Aminos?

And another question: I know BLA's dubbed as a "substitute for soy sauce" (even though it's a soy-based product), but does it "act" the same as soy sauce? I mean, can I cook it the same way, does it react the same way to varying temperatures, etc.?
posted by:
Chickadee
Advertisement
  • Re: Bragg's Liquid Aminos

Sun, January 8, 2006 - 4:07 PM
    to me it tastes like a really nasty soy sauce.

Mon, January 9, 2006 - 9:16 AM
      We use it just like soy sauce, and I'm more likely to add it at the table than SS. I think it tastes better.
      I've often wondered whether their claims about amino acids were justified... how useful is it, really, for making complete proteins?

Mon, January 9, 2006 - 1:16 PM
        Well, your body can use those amino acids to help assemble its own proteins, but it' doesn't make all of them, so it's more important to get the "essential" proteins and amino acids that your body doesn't make. I'd say if you add it to just the foods, you probably could make a "complete" or "essential" protein. For the most part, your body'll break down protein and use the amino acids to its own devices anyway.

Thu, March 8, 2007 - 4:13 AM
      I have to agree with you here Philip - it just doesn't taste right to me.

That, combined with the MSG sensitivity issue, plus my belief that we are actually getting way too much protein already in our diets, even as vegans, makes San-J wheat-free organic soy sauce even more attractive as the best-tasting, best feeling soy sauce in my life personally :)

Mon, January 16, 2006 - 1:46 PM
    I <3<3<3 braggs. It took a bit of adjusting, but now it's my top choice over soy sauce and tamari. I say go lightly at first, the spray bottle is the best way to go, it works wonders! hehe..I marinade tofu in braggs as a base for most tofu dishes...my favorite is braggs, lemon juice & italian dressing.

Tue, January 17, 2006 - 10:58 PM

I've used a lot of Bragg's for a long time--recently it's almost completely replaced tamari in my diet--but I just noticed that it's made with soybeans that are not organically grown. Which is really too bad.

Tue, February 27, 2007 - 3:56 PM
      i got some and will try it as a salad dressing...does it break down any of the nutritional value to cook with it?
      • Unsu...

Re: Bragg's Liquid Aminos

Tue, February 27, 2007 - 4:00 PM
        I have never actually "cooked" with it.. I usually just spray it on a variety of things after they are cooked...Not sure about what cooking will do to it.

Tue, February 27, 2007 - 4:19 PM
    i use it in place of soy sauce as well. it tastes enough like it but has far less sodium. i've tried repeatedly to use it to stirfry in a hot skillet but i find that it burns way too quickly. and also quickly leaves a crusty film on parts of the pan. (or maybe i just have the heat up way too high. which, lazy me, is entirely possible.)

Sun, March 4, 2007 - 2:21 PM
    Amino acids are the building blocks of protein. Twenty amino acids are needed to build the various proteins used in the growth, repair, and maintenance of body tissues. Eleven of these amino acids can be made by the body itself, while the other nine (called essential amino acids) must come from the diet. Bragg's does supply some or all of the essential amino acids, I don't remember. But the best vegetarian dish to get all of the essential amino acids is rice and beans.

Just some memories from when I was a nutrition major in college in the 80s.

Sun, March 4, 2007 - 11:41 PM
      Some good protein info from a prior post by Ratha ..

====================================================================
      veghedonists.tribe.net/thread...9b1de51

by Ratha, Originally posted Sun, November 5, 2006 - 3:47 PM

Actually, all plant proteins do contain all 8 essential amino acids, it's just that the amino acids are present in different ratios in plants' proteins than in animal proteins. You can verify this yourself at www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/food...index.html . Despite this, many sources do still propagate the idea that somehow certain plants "lack" certain amino acids. For example this page: www.thedoctorwillseeyounow.com/ar..._2/ says that "legumes lack methionine." This is false, which you can see if you do a search for pinto beans at the USDA site and scroll down to the amino acid analysis. (Even the fact that there is less methionine in pinto beans than some of the other amino acids does not necessarily mean there is not enough methionine; search for "egg" and you will see that egg protein has much less methionine than lysine or phenylalanine, as does pinto bean protein.)

My understanding of the reason that protein combining is a "myth" is that the total human need for protein is now considered to be much lower than previously thought. The original research on protein needs was done on baby rats early in the 20th century, and they found that the rats failed to thrive when not given generous amounts of protein, so they applied that same thinking to human nutrition. However, the researchers of the time failed to take into account the fact that rat milk is 20% protein while human milk is only 7% protein (by calories). Rat pups grow much faster than human infants and thus they need more protein in the developing stages. So the current WHO standards for humans are around 0.7g protein per kilogram of body weight, which is easily met by consuming 10% of your daily calories as protein, which you can do by eating nothing but potatoes (11% protein by calories).

Moreover, the WHO standard has a "margin of safety" built in. So if you are eating enough food, so long as a significant amount of it is not something refined like oil, then you must be getting more than enough total protein. And even if some of the amino acids making up that total protein are not present in the same ratios as they would occur in an animal protein, you should still have enough amino acids to form enough "complete protein" -- even without the need for combining -- since there is an overall surplus.

Here is a good article that covers the above in more depth and provides references:
      www.afpafitness.com/articles...equie.htm There is info about studies on people eating nothing but rice protein, at intake levels below WHO standards, and still getting plenty of the necessary amino acids. Here is an article at the Vegan Society site: www.vegansociety.com/html/fo...tein.php This page reiterates the same ideas and explains the notion of a "limiting amino acid."

Note: See also: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protein_combining

Recent topics in "Vegetarian & Vegan Recipe Exchange"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
nude gay man here Mohan 0 November 18, 2014
nude gay meet John 0 September 20, 2014
Yummy Vegetarian Chicken Rice Recipe. Savor The Yummy Taste Zheng 0 September 12, 2014
Do u love night club for fun? Unsubscribed 0 August 23, 2014