Advertisement

My beloved missus and I have gotten chubby

topic posted Wed, January 4, 2012 - 1:18 PM by  Unsubscribed
Share/Save/Bookmark
And I'd like to undo that.

I'm semi veggie having been lacto ovo for 15 years before we married ( yes she corrupted me) but I'm wondering if a Vegan diet might not bring about the desired loss in weight. That is assuming I could swing her over to abandoning meat and dairy for at least so long as it took to see the desired change.

Any one ever met a fat Vegan?

Never know, she might like it

Anyway I'm looking at the Veganomicon as a way to start out and wonder if there's any other decent books out there.
posted by:
Unsubscribed
Advertisement
  • Re: My beloved missus and I have gotten chubby

Wed, January 4, 2012 - 4:15 PM
    though I am not anymore, went I went from being vegetarian to being vegan I lost over 20 lbs that never came back ... until I started eating dairy again (which I now eat very selectively).

and I'm sure you could be a fat vegan if you ate a lot of fatty or processed or sugary crap and had bad exercise habits. but most diet-conscious people I have known are pretty engrossed in general lifestyle changes for their own benefit, and if they've gotten so far as to be vegan, their weight isn't really an issue.

and veganomicon is great! I also like the blog:
    vegancrunk.blogspot.com/

Wed, January 4, 2012 - 4:51 PM
      I agree. If you're going Vegan, you've probably already made some general lifestyle changes. There is no "magic bullet", not even a Vegan magic bullet. And yes, I knew of a fat Vegan couple -- they both snacked on a LOT of dried fruit and a LOT of nuts, they didn't exercise, and they loved their alcoholic drinks.

Thu, January 5, 2012 - 12:12 PM
    I found myself fitting too tightly into my jeans in early December. I am already a cheating vegan (I do sushi about once a month), so I just cut all fried food from my diet (french fries can be vegan, so can vegan empanadas) and I have been going up the mountain early in the morning 5-6 days a week. Going up the mountain means 7.5 miles and 1.800 elevation gain at a brisk pace.

It is depressing to think how slowly the weight will come off, from my calculations it will be a pound every ten days for me. I have lost 2 already, but it is slow. However, the exercise is doing wonders for my mood and general attitude. I don't care that I need to keep doing this for 90 days or more, I think I plan to incorporate it into my daily routine even after i reach my ideal weight.

What I am trying to say is that usually diet is not enough, you need to exercise too. The more aerobic the better, endurance sports (bike, swim, run, hike) are all good. The exercise will increase your metabolism, so you burn more calories even when you are resting.

Vegan food can help a lot, just remember that fat is fat, and you get the same amount of calories from a tablespoon of olive oil, or walnut oil, than a tablespoon of lard. Of course, you get all sorts of omegas, minerals and so on from the nuts.

Good luck with the weight loss program!
  • Unsu...

Re: My beloved missus and I have gotten chubby

Thu, January 5, 2012 - 2:04 PM
    I used to know a lot of fat vegetarians. they fried everything and ate a lot of that crap you buy in the store that is supposed to look feel and taste like the meat they claim not to want.

I'm planning on eschewing most oils, limiting carbohydrates, and avoiding fried stuff

I also ordered the cook book from the Millennium Restaurant in SF. I heard it was pretty good.

We shall see. Trying to get the missus to engage in athletic activity is like pulling teeth.
    Years ago we used to play very hard tennis almost daily, but circumstances got in the way of that.
    I'm hoping to get her back into it in a year maybe after she retires.

Recent topics in "Vegetarian & Vegan Recipe Exchange"