Advertisement

nutritional yeast

topic posted Tue, May 22, 2007 - 4:14 AM by  Lyla
Share/Save/Bookmark
best ways to use it?

....this tribe inspired me to get some but now i'm not sure the best way to use it. is it ok to cook it or is raw best...it don't want to break down any of the good stuff in it.

thanks!
posted by:
Lyla
Maine
Advertisement
  • Re: nutritional yeast

Tue, May 22, 2007 - 10:11 AM
    sprinkle it on popcorn! yummy

Tue, May 22, 2007 - 2:22 PM
      I put it over spaghetti and tomato sauce as a replacement for parmesan cheese.

It's DELICIOUS on popcorn!

Tue, May 22, 2007 - 4:53 PM
        I never cook with it I just sprinkle it one stuff. Popcorn, rice, pasta... It is my new parmesan.

Tue, May 22, 2007 - 6:16 PM
          Hippie gravy:
          1/3c flour
          1/3c nutritional yeast
          1/3c olive oil
          1 qt(ish) hot water
          black pepper to taste
          Bragg's or soy sauce to taste (I use alot)
          Oregano to taste.

Toast your flour and yeast in a sauce pan over medium heat until it starts to smell nutty. Stir constantly.
          Add olive oil to make a roux. Cook for a few moments. Slowly wisk in hot water until thick gravy consistency.
          add bragg's, pepper and oregano to taste.

Great on mashed taters.

Also good for not yo cheeze sauce. I'll post that later.

Tue, May 22, 2007 - 8:32 PM
            I posted basically the same question about Nutritional Yeast in the 'Go vegan' tribe a few days ago and this is what people said there! :)

vegan.tribe.net/thread/0c1...c0835d3c488

Tue, May 22, 2007 - 10:45 PM
              on toast. on a bagel w avo, fresh basil, capers & sea salt.

i also make a pasta dish with it...boil any pasta (penne, spaghetti, etc) drain, throw in a pot -very low heat, add a little sesame oil, small spoon of soy butter, tamari, balsamic vinegar, nutritional yeast, basil, a little parsley and salt & pepper - stir it all up. I never measure anything, so basically i add enough to make the dish a little moist but not drippy. i then put it in a bowl and squirt a little sriracha on it.

nutritional yeast is also the main ingredient for my veggie gravy (i think i posted the recipe before but it is in the new farm vegetarian cookbook -
              www.amazon.com/New-Farm-V...046-2420027

Fri, May 25, 2007 - 10:51 AM
                OK Slurpee - All I can say is YUM to your pasta dish - I made it last night for some friends and it was a huge hit. I'm having the leftovers for lunch as I type. Thanks for sharing - L

Tue, May 29, 2007 - 10:15 AM
                  yea leeza, so glad you made the pasta dish - when i have more time i do a quick stir fry of leeks, garlic (and sometimes corn or broccoli) and then throw the veggies in over the top & mix it up.

Wed, May 23, 2007 - 2:34 PM
    a simple treat is margarine on bread sprinkle nutritional yeast liberally all over and toast til crusty & delish. Popcorn with marg, soy sauce and yeast. I also sprinkle it in soups to add a little more depth to the stock when I'm so inclined....

btw, after having been around it for decades, and loving me some nutritional yeast toasts, or what have you, i have just been introduced to the term: nut yeast. It just brings up a whole different element to the name for me! Yikes!

Wed, May 23, 2007 - 9:01 PM
      Okay, here's a somewhat related question:

How do you guys store your NY? I have mine in a bag from the bulk section. I've been trying to find a shaker with large enough holes but have been unsuccessful. Suggestions?
      • kt
        kt
        offline 20

Re: nutritional yeast

Thu, May 24, 2007 - 10:02 AM
        Rach, good question, I too have spent time wondering how to shake my yeast better.
        I thought of using one of those parmesan cheese shakers you see in pizza joints. I used one at one of my cooking jobs and if I recall right, the holes would be big enough. Glass jar with a metal top with holes in it. Haven't bought one yet myself.
        Otherwise, I store mine in the fridge, for some reason I feel like it is fresher that way, even tho the bulk foods are un-refrigerated.

Thu, May 24, 2007 - 4:12 PM
          Okay, great idea. But where to buy it? I've checked at the likes of Bed, Bath & Beyond and have had no luck...

Maybe I could wait for my husband to finish the parm cheese and use that but... I'd rather have it in glass than in plastic that used to contain cheese.

Thu, May 24, 2007 - 4:46 PM
            perhaps there is a restaurant supply store in your area? i've found plenty of gems in places like this, often for VERY cheap prices.

or steal one from your local pizzeria, use up all the red pepper flakes, and voila!
  • Unsu...

Thu, May 24, 2007 - 8:07 PM
    Hi Lyla
    Cooking can destroy the B vitamins in nutritional yeast, but I still occasionally cook with it as a cheesy topping.
    I enoy a salad dressing I make w/ Nutritional yeast, yogurt, flax oil, garlic, Braggs or Tamari, and lemon juice! If I leave out the yogurt, it is just a vinnaigrette with a bit of creaminess from the yeast sprinkles. I love the nutty flavor.

Fri, May 25, 2007 - 11:12 AM
    I just tried this stuff for the first time yesterday (been vegan for almost a year now and I've never tried it) and all I have to say is: wow!

I didn't understand before how you could make cheese out of the stuff, but right out of the can it smells just like cheese! We made a pizza yesterday, sourdough crust, tomoto sauce with "italien seasoning" and garlic powder, sprinkled on some nutritional yeast, added some mushrooms, soy salami, and soy bacon bits, and BAM that was one badass pizza.

Thanks for inspiring me to try it everyone :)

Sat, May 26, 2007 - 2:13 AM
      .i have been vegan for about a year also and never tried NY before either....this post ALSO inspired me to give it a try....i am a popcorn FANATIC...i have to admit i tried it on popcorn and it just tasted weird and dry to me....any tips? what am i doing wrong? it didnt' taste buttery to me at all...hmmmmm

Sat, May 26, 2007 - 3:54 AM
      pizza!!! matt that is a grand idea...i'm going to try bread sticks with nutritional yeast sprinkled on top and maybe some in the tomato based dipping sauce.

Sat, May 26, 2007 - 9:50 AM
        I THINK you can get one of those parm shakers at Cost Plus World Market...coulda sworn I've seen them there.

Sat, May 26, 2007 - 11:48 AM
          We got our shaker at a Dollar Store-type place...

A longtime favorite of mine: melt about 4T (or MORE!) of butter, and add yeast until it's a good thickness for dipping.
          Deeelicious on steamed broccoli. The two were made for each other.

Makes me extra thankful I can get local organic raw milk to make the butter it takes to support the habit :)

I tried it with olive oil once, but it wasn't nearly as good. Some other oil might do better. Sesame? Peanut?

Tue, May 29, 2007 - 12:56 PM
            as for a shaker, i bought a ball jar (you can get any glass jar with a metal lid) and i drilled holes in the lid to use as a shaker. to keep bugs out i put saran wrap under the lid and remove when i need to shake it.

Tue, May 29, 2007 - 9:53 PM
              I can't remember where I read it, but has anyone else heard that nutritional yeast might not be as good for you as it sounds since it's not really a naturally occurring food, ie. it's man made & therefore akin to over-processed food?

I don't mean to rain on y'all's cheesey yeast parade, I'm just curious. The notion made sense to me when I read it, so I haven't yet tried the cheesey stuff.

Wed, May 30, 2007 - 9:48 AM
                There's really not *that* much processing involved. It's seeded, cultivated, and harvested just like any other crop, really. However, many of the vitamins and minerals are added during the pasteurization stage after harvesting, before it's dried. So because some of these nutrients aren't a natural part of the yeast, it's similar in a way to taking a vitamin supplement. In my opinion it should be easier to absorb into the body, considering the concentration is much lower and it's generally consumed as an ingredient mixed into a meal instead of just cramming 2000% the daily recommended allowance into a pill.

Wed, May 30, 2007 - 8:06 PM
                  I see. You make good points, Matt.

So if I want to try this stuff what do I look for at the health food store? Is there much difference nutritionally or flavor wise from brand to brand?
                  • This is the maximum depth. Additional responses will not be threaded.

Fri, June 1, 2007 - 1:22 PM
                    Red Star seems to be consistently good.
                    Larger, yellower flakes seem to taste better than dustier, duller looking stuff.

Recent topics in "Vegetarian & Vegan Recipe Exchange"