Advertisement

Wheat protien

topic posted Thu, February 16, 2012 - 2:17 PM by  Unsubscribed
Share/Save/Bookmark
I love the stuff. I make a great gluten product by kneading cheap flour and extracting the starch under running water.
Then I boil it with spices and herbs to product a superb high protein food that has some real tooth and can be prepared in as many ways as imagination can come up with.

I can't imagine why it has fallen from grace among veggies. It's good for you utterly healthy and very useful.
Yet a little fluff about a very few people having a reaction to wheat protein ( allergy?) has got countless people who don't have any such negative reaction terrified of the stuff. And yet wheat has been a human food, a bona fide staple, for as long as humans have been cultivating. I've seen the seemingly endless lists of ailments that people with no education and no science blame on this perfectly wonderful food . It's all nonsense of course. If the stuff was capable of doing all the countless harms that some attribute to it then there'd be no way possible that it would have been the go to food for humans all the way back into pre history. And yet some people insist that it's as dangerous as the Amanita ocreata.

I don't get it. We are smarter than this - - - or are we?

But I bet you a hundred dollars that someone will weigh in with some moralistic bombast accusing me of some thing awful - with no science at all.
posted by:
Unsubscribed
Advertisement
  • Re: Wheat protien

Mon, March 5, 2012 - 7:37 AM
    I love seitan (wheat gluten) but I don't seem to digest it well at all. I can only eat really small quantities of it. Strangely enough, this did not happen at the beginning, when I first started making it.

Big bummer since it is such a versatile food. I used to make big seasoned batches like you do, and it freezes wonderfully. No change in texture at all, unlike tofu.

No moralistic bullshit, it just does not work well with some people's digestions. I have no problem with gluten breads, it is not celiac disease. Not sure what it is? The concentrated wheat protein is just harsh on my stomach I guess.

I do best eating mostly vegetables, fruit, cooked beans, grains, nuts. I eat very little processed food, but i like veggie hot dogs now and then. I know some have wheat gluten, I guess less of it?

Tue, March 6, 2012 - 2:43 PM
    From the little I've read, those who don't eat animal products will get enough protein. Complimentary proteins are not considered necessary anymore -- even Francis Moore Lappe reversed her position. The only note is that non-meat diets that are exclusively fruit, tubers, and/or highly refined processed and/or junk food don't provide enough protein.

So YEAH! for wheat! (I do prefer mine as bulgur, whole wheat, and wheat germ, plus the other wheat-related whole grains.)

As far as food allergies are concerned, I have my own opinions about changes in our culture and society. Fifty years ago one rarely saw the over-whelming spectrum of food allergies we have now. My parents never freaked out when we ate dirt and mud as little kids, and got all dirty and scuffed. Guess what? I don't have any allergies, and I don't catch cold, flu, or other bugs easily. And we sure as hell never told our parents "we weren't going to eat THAT", whatever THAT might have been.
    • Unsu...

Re: Wheat protien

Sun, March 11, 2012 - 4:52 PM
      ********From the little I've read, those who don't eat animal products will get enough protein. ***********

Adult humans must include specific 8 amino acids (proteins) in the diet. Infants need and extra one to make 9. The body can't synthesize the essential amino acids from other substances.
      They are: Histidine, Isoleucine, Leucine, Lysine, Methionine, Phenylalanine, Threonine, Tryptophan, and Valine
      Lysine and tryptophan, are in short supply in most plant proteins.

Cysteine can only partially meet the need for methionine (it's the sulfur), and tyrosine can partially substitute for phenylalanine.
      But partially is only that - - partially.

Adults can skip Histidine for the most part, but Infants can not. It's mandatory for them.
      Infants need as much as 150% more protein on their first years than adults do because they are growing so fast.

Veggies and Vegans need to eat grains and legumes in the right proportions to fill out the human essential amino acids.
      It doesn't matter where you get 'em, ya just gotta get 'em.

Protein manipulation is a fertile area of research for GM crop research. Getting a complete protein from crops that don't do well in poor soils is a rather big deal.

Here is more:
      jn.nutrition.org/content/1...4.full.pdf

Do you mean the same thing by "complementary" that I do?
      When I use it I mean to say that your source whether it's grains legumes whatever - - compliment each other. That is some foods have more or less of one thing while others have more or less of another set. So you eat a variety.

I think that Lappe's retraction was as to the 2 notions that (1) the complimentary proteins had to be consumed together - - in the same meal, which was really pretty silly on its face. She also forwarded the idea that (2) you had to be ever so cautious to balance it all out which was also silly. Eating a lot more of any of them than the others is not going to do you any harm. The trick is to get plenty of all the 8 amino acids.

Eating a whole lot of any one protein does not make up for a deficiency in another. The body can't use one to do the work of another.

Sun, March 11, 2012 - 8:41 PM
        Infants tend to get an adequet amount of nurishment from mother's milk.
        60% is whey, while 40% is casein
        Lactoferrin inhibits the growth of iron-dependent bacteria in the gastrointestinal tract. This inhibits certain organisms, such as coliforms and yeast, that require iron.
        Secretory IgA also works to protect the infant from viruses and bacteria, specifically those that the baby, mom, and family are exposed to. It also helps to protect against E. Coli and possibly allergies. Other immunoglobulins, including IgG and IgM, in breast milk also help protect against bacterial and viral infections. Eating fish can help increase the amount of these proteins in your breast milk.
        Lysozyme is an enzyme that protects the infant against E. Coli and Salmonella. It also promotes the growth of healthy intestinal flora and has anti-inflammatory functions.
        Bifidus factor supports the growth of lactobacillus. Lactobacillus is a beneficial bacteria that protects the baby against harmful bacteria by creating an acidic environment where it cannot survive
        Fats
        Human milk also contains fats that are essential for the health of your baby. It is necessary for brain development, absorption of fat-soluble vitamins, and is a primary calorie source. Long chain fatty acids are needed for brain, retina, and nervous system development. They are deposited in the brain during the last trimester of pregnancy and are also found in breast milk.
        Vitamins
        The amount and types of vitamins in breast milk is directly related to the mother’s vitamin intake. This is why it is essential that she gets adequate nutrition, including vitamins. Fat-soluble vitamins, including vitamins A, D, E, and K, are all vital to the infant’s health. Water-soluble vitamins such as vitamin C, riboflavin, niacin, and panthothenic acid are also essential. Because of the need for these vitamins, many healthcare providers and lactation consultants will have nursing mothers continue on prenatal vitamins.
        Carbohydrates
        Lactose is the primary carbohydrate found in human milk. It accounts for approximately 40% of the total calories provided by breast milk. Lactose helps to decrease the amount of unhealthy bacteria in the stomach, which improves the absorption of calcium, phosphorus, and magnesium. It helps to fight disease and promotes the growth of healthy bacteria in the stomach.
        Breast Milk is Best
        Breast milk has the perfect combination of proteins, fats, vitamins, and carbohydrates. There is nothing better for the health of your baby. Leukocytes are living cells that are only found in breast milk. They help fight infection. It is the antibodies, living cells, enzymes, and hormones that make breast milk ideal. These cannot be added to formula.
  • Unsu...

Re: Wheat protien

Mon, March 12, 2012 - 9:25 AM
    However, I still think it's just plain weird that so many people are frightened of Gluten and for absolutely no valid reason.

Gluten allergy or negative reaction is like any other food reaction like shellfish or peanut butter. It happens yes, however it is the very rare thing and the vast majority of folks can ignore the matter entirely.

I have read not one single scholarly or documented paper or article that in any way supports all the frenzied terror that some people express for gluten. II think the real deal is that it's fear of food as a fad. Next decade it'll be some other stupid thing.

Mon, June 4, 2012 - 2:14 PM
    Nutritional vitamins are essential in your nourishment but also for the more significant level is not produced through your body system. For that reason, you will need to acquire vitamins by a nutritious diet. Vitamins in fact act as important co-factors pertaining to adequately controlling your own body's metabolic reactions as well as biochemical procedures.

Whenever your eating routine is lacking in vitamins and minerals, lots of organic capabilities tend to be cut off, causing suboptimal wellness and also a wide selection of ailment situations exclusively linked to nutritious fluctuations. Vitamins these are known as fatsoluble as well as water-soluble. Therefore these are wiped out as well as kept in both the fat tissue of one's body or even the water cells.

Read more: www.thevitaminmag.com/fat-sol...itamins/

Fat-Soluble vitamins are usually saved in the stocks of fat system tissue and may consequently become driven in if they are not acquired day-to-day with the eating habits. This may cause all of them really designed for a time period even when your diet program gets incredibly inadequate. In the end, nevertheless, the stores of fat soluble vitamins may be used up and definately will have to be refreshed from the eating habits. As these fatsoluble vitamins are certainly not very easily passed from your system, extreme ingestion of fatsoluble vitamins may cause overdose. The fatsoluble vitamins tend to be vitamins A, D, E, along with K.

Wed, June 6, 2012 - 12:34 AM
      I bought and tried Seitan for the first time a few weeks ago, and loved it. Cooked it a few more times since then (with steamed vegetables), and it's now a new addition to my recipes. I never had problems with digesting wheat, nor have I had allergies to it.

Wed, June 6, 2012 - 1:26 AM
        One of my nieces suffer severe allergic problem taking food made from wheat. Apparently there is no treatment so far. She can not even think of going abroad due to shortage of money. Earning handsome can make it easy. my neighbor's mom brought in $18108 the previous week. she has been making cash on the Internet and moved in a $323500 home. All she did was get fortunate and put into use the directions leaked on this web site MorePay9.com

Recent topics in "Vegetarian & Vegan Recipe Exchange"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
Mock Soy Vay Veri Veri Teriyaki Sauce (Homemade version - Very... Nadja Dee 1 March 14, 2014
Vegi burger Unsubscribed 3 February 12, 2014
miso question nancy 16 July 10, 2013
109 Vegan 'Western' Main Course Meals Smithers 0 May 18, 2013